hello and a shout out to any winton aircraft owners..

humpy

G'day and welcome Will. Don't know anything about the W.S. but there's one for sale in last months mag. Same one? Looks good in the photo but who know how old the photo is. Pity my cash is otherwise allocated or I'd be tempted myself.

Be sure to keep us advised on your findings. Could help other like minded folk.

• 3 months later...
Guest marquesports

Humpy, I have a Sportsman down here in Cooma. I purchased it a few years ago to restore but am being terribly slow, too busy restoring my cars first.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marquesports

Chook, Mick Roberts is my name. Mine has a Rotax 503, I got it off ebay a few years back as a complete aircraft. Being an ex LAME and a Level 2/4 I decided to pull it aprt and repair/replace/rebuild as necessary. We were living in Sydney at the time and had no work facilities. I've since moved to Cooma and have buckets of space. I've got to the pull apart stage but have been busy rebuilding 4 cars as well. I intend getting back to it it the very near future. Please keep me posted as I'm sure we can learn a bit off each other as we proceed.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick its Alan Sheard old chook good to hear you are restoring a historic ultralight. mine was found ina shed where it had been sitting 18 yrs slowly being canabalised missing redrive,prop,seat and tank and aileron teleflex cable.it has all flying tail not a problem as my 2 jackeroos in the early 80,s had all flying tail.any way keep on with it and if you want to ring me on 0418415539 i,d be glad to talk historic ultralights as i,ve owned about 6 and i,m an enthusiest regards old chook

• 8 months later...

Hi bull,my jackaroos from memory in early80,s didnt have numbers,one was red with blue pin stripes on wings,small wheelsthe other had thicker section wing with undercamber and full span ailerons big wheel barrow type wheels and modified tailplane painted in red barron colour with iron crosses.both had robin 440 engine with belt redrive.i flew them in fine conditions under 10 knots for over 100 hours.I was the third owner regards old chook

thanks for info ,chook not mine mine is all white with 630 on the port wing and first flight on 1st july 1982 all flying tail /small nosewheel fixed any info at all?????

Hi Bull the small nosewheel was an improvement to the ones that had small wheels,it stopped the front digging in if you didnt get the landing right. my 2 jackaroos were open cockpit without pod,they flew at around 50knots stall around 30.They were fun to fly in ideal conditions.the one with the full span ailerons was much better to fly.I believe when they first appeared they were direct drive very marginal power.I remember seeing a grasshopper around 1979 fly it was direct drive 440 robin regards old chook