Tie Downs

Guest Ken deVos

Guest Ken deVos

When you leave your pride and joy at a windy ALA, what tie down devices and procedures are recommended?

I've seen some very, very small tent pegs, to pegs that would be more suitable for large circus tents being used. Does anyone use and would recommend the 'screw-it' type tie-downs?

Also, should you point the aircraft into the wind and set the trim for down elevator?

I use a 3 piece 'screw-it' kit. Available from most good aviation supply stores. Rerhaps the RA Shop might be stocking them soon if not already?

My personal opinion would be to point into wind with forward to neutral trim if possible (it's hard to tie the stick forward unless you carry something for the purpose).

I use Screw in to tie the nose down on the Tecnam as its very light at the front... They are very hard to come out.. but as already said, in a hard surface and can be a real pain to get them in there.. having said that they definately wont be coming out in a hurry! They are very strong and do not come loose as normal 'tent' pegs would..

I'm glad you fellows brought that information to light. It's a good article and as I'm going away for three days in a weeks time, I hope I'm inspired to get off my backside & do it right for once.

Rather than put nuts & washers on the pins I will weld a short piece of rod at the top to form a tee (easier) Thanks again. N...