Registration of Paraplanes

eddi

Hi everybody,

I am looking into paraplanes at the moment and saw that the Aerochute is the only certified paraplane with RA-AUS (according to their website).

Does that mean that only the Aerochute is allowed in Australia? Can't be so it's probably with the HGFA. I can't find a list of allowed ppc on their website.

What do I have to consider if I find a good priced 2nd hand paraplane that is not an aerochute?

Cheers,

Edward

Aircraft like the Aerochute are usually referred to here as "Powered Parachutes" (at least in the legislation). They are operated under Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 95.32 http://www.raa.asn.au/opsmanual/CAO95-32.pdf which requires them to be registered with RAAus. AFAIK only trikes have the option of being registered with either RAAus or HGFA.

Foot-launched paramotors come under the HGFA and they apparently also have a nano-category essentially for foot-launched craft but with wheels fitted. I'm afraid I'm a bit vague on the details of that but IIRC its something like less than 75kg empty weight.

Its possible the list of approved types on the RAAus www isn't up to date - you'd have to check with the office on that

What do I have to consider if I find a good priced 2nd hand paraplane that is not an aerochute?

Make sure that it is registered or that it can be registered !

Cheers

John

Hi John,

you are a champ! Thanks for all your answers.

I looked into an old copy of "World Directory of Leisure Aviation". A lot of paraplanes and trikesa re either tagged "FAI-ML" or "US-UL" or "US-LSA". As far as I can remember Ra-Aus happily accepts certifications from other countries. Do you know, what implications a FAI-ML certification has for Australia? I can't find any register on the web.

Cheers,

Edward

Aye its a fun read that magazine - loads of interesting types (most of which won't ever make to these shores). I don't have my copy handy so I can't check if there is a legend to explain those terms but I believe that -

US-UL is an ultralight which complies with the America FAR103 requirements & therefore doesn't require any certification, testing, pilot certificate, training etc (might be possible to register one of these in Aus as a 95.10 single seat ?)

US-LSA is manufacturer "certified" to meet LSA standard (should be possible to bring into Aus by providing RAAus with suitable paperwork)

FAI-ML - the FAI is the sporting organisation which run the European & World microlight competitions so they have a definition of what constitutes an aircraft which is eligible to compete in these events. It simply requires a minimum speed of 65km/h & a MTOW of 450kg for 2 seat landplanes (300kg for single seat landplanes). Its not a design standard which would obviously be far more comprehensive - see http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP482.PDF for an example.

Therefore I don't believe an aircraft meeting the FAI definition would automatically be able to be registered here unless it had also been shown to demonstrate compliance with a recognised design standard.

Probably not what you wanted to hear

Cheers

John

PS "microlight" in European terminology covers both both trikes and fixed wing aircraft (in Australia its usually taken to mean just trikes). The majority of RRAus fixed wing aircraft wouldn't comply with the FAI definition since we have significantly higher weight limits here.

Thanks John,

To be on the safe side means that I only look at US-LSA then. The Aerochute is US-LSA so that fits the mold.

I am amazed to find that there is no Aerochute available for sale. Speaks for the machine. There must be hundreds of them around. Let me first fly in one before I invest more time.

Cheers,

Edward

Hi Eddi,

Occasionally an aerochute will come up for sale second hand, which is where I got mine from. But this does not happen too often. I also believe that the American Summit is also available in this country but not sure if it is 32 registered or 19. More information can be found at the Australian Powered Parachute Association at www.australianppa.com.

I highly recommend that you take a flight in one of these aircraft. They do not look like much on the ground but boy was I sold once it go into the air. They are the safest form of human flight proved by it's safty record. There have been over 450 built since about 92' and flying all around the world without a single fatality. Even a few went to the Indonesian airforce for flight training. Just make sure it is the type of flying that suits you.

The aerochute is powered by the rotax 503 which I find is fine for one person or two "average" sized people. For those on the heavier size or want extra performance then the company has just released what the call the Hummerchute which is basicly the Aerochute but larger by 30% and running the rotax 582.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks for the info, John. I came across a setup instruction on Youtube yesterday. Raised one question: How do you setup in 5-7 knots of wind? Doesn't that blow the chute away or make it impossible to setup?

It says flying in winds up to 15 knots but I can't find any trace of flights in windy conditions. All videos seem to be made in no wind conditions. Could you please be so kind and share some experience here.

Cheers,

Edward

The aerochute usually takes off from a grassed field or paddock and this ground coverage breaks up the wind enough to stop it getting under the chute when it is layed out. If the wind is a little stronger I use sand bags on the tips of the chute to stop them comming up. If the wind is too strong for this to work then it is time to pack up and go home. The Aerochute is quite capable of contending with windy conditions to a point. The air speed is fixed at about 60 kmh and I have flown where my ground speed has dropped to 10kpm and lower. It is safe to do this but not pleasant. The most dangerous conditions are thermal activity or dirty air from other aircraft that could possibly cause a chute collapse. Having said that there has been no known chute collapse on an aerochute and from what I have seen with other American chutes that have collapsed they reinflate fairly quickly. Some examples can be seen on youtube. You may notice though that many of the chute collapses are the more volatile eliptical wings on powered parachutes and more commonly powered paragliders (engine strapped to the pilots back). Most accidents usually occure during take off and to a lesser extent landing if a gust of wind gets you at the wrong angle and pulls you over onto your side. The cockpit area is a very strong roll cage so keep your legs and arms inside and all will be well. These problems are rare and with some experience you will be able to pick your days when a plesant flight and lots of photo's will be all that you will be concerned about. I would only fly in no wind days at first but with more hours up I actually prefer some wind for better chute inflation on take off and better lift when I cut loose on my property. They are a slow aircraft but very nimble especially at low altitude (anything from a couple of inches off the ground and up)and VERY safe.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you want. Boy sounds like I am selling them :) They may not be the kind of aircraft or style of flight for everyone but I love mine and would not trade it for anything......except perhaps for a new one :)

John

• 1 month later...

They certainly seem to be the most bang per dollar in Ra-Aus flying... Have been keen for a TIF for a while now myself. It seems to me a very safe, economical way to own your own aircraft... and you can keep it in the Garage!

Perfect for local fine weather flying.

• 2 years later...