Turning 180deg on the dead side. Can you do it?

I've just gone solo and done the area solo, and now expect to have to at some point go to another airfield. So far this has been done with the instructor, and also I think I have been lucky in how it's worked out.

Every time I have approached it's been 500 feet above the circuit and I have easily worked out which side is the live side and decended down on the dead side and joined cross wind on the correct runway.

However I have just realised that by luck I have approached the airfield so that I have never had to reverse course 180deg on the dead side to be able to go in the right direction for the circuit.

So lets say I am flying parallel to the runway with the runway on my left and I see that the circuit is actually a right hand one. I would have to turn around and go the other way to get the runway on my right so that I join in the right direction.

Can I just turn right around? Given I am close to the runway, even though 500 foot above the circuit on the dead side, I just feel it could cause confusion. Should I go away and come back from another direction?

Or should I look in ERSA and approach the airfield such that I am set up right for a left hand circuit or the circuit as specified in ERSA? This could mean a detour rigth around an airfield to get set up correctly. This seems best but I don't want to overthink this if not needed.

I keep planning to ask my instructor this, but I always forget! I want to make sure I get it right and in effect can mentally plan out how to approach the circuits for the airfields near me, long before I ever go there.

Thanks

Ryan

Using your example, I would turn 90 deg left and overfly the field at 500' over the pattern, let down on the offside in a 180 deg turn to the right to join crosswind. I would call overhead the runway and my intentions, and then again while joining crosswind.

1. Fly directly towards the airfield at least 500ft above greatest circuit height

2. Overhead the field determine the runway you intent to use (hopefully you know the circuit direction).

3 If necessary, turn in the direction of the circuit to get to non-active side for that runway.

3. When on non-active side, descend to circuit height and turn in the circuit direction.

4. join crosswind

Hope that helps

John

rdarby,

there is nothing stopping u from descending on the dead side of the circuit, in whatever mannor. Obviously using caution with whatever you are doing. u can come straight into the airfield on the already on the dead side, and let down as you approach....as with everything you are doing in the air, safety is the biggest key. make sure u are completely aware of the circuit direction of the active runway and be sure to give your intentions... whatever the direction. it is advisable to keep the turns in the same direction as the circuit pattern. Knowledge is they key to it all...and keeping any traffic, be it minimal or copious, informed of your movements, then u shudnt have a problem..

cheers,

liz