G'day one and all!

Newbie here,

Looking forward to getting to know this site and the people who frequent it a lot more (ie I will do my best to sponge as much information off those who know far more than i do about this wonderful world of aviation!).

I have recently moved from Melbourne to Port Douglas in far north Qld and have been introduced to the excitement of open cockpit flight via the microlight trike! A joy flight has turned into flight lessons and I am now looking forward to completing my license. The weather is superb up here for open cockpit flying and the views arent too bad either! I am lucky to have found a brilliant instructor and one whom i have complete faith in. My experience to date is on the Airborne Edge trike with Streak IIB wing. I'm loving this little unit! I dont have my own aircraft, but hope that that may come at some stage in the near future!

I look forward to interesting conversations and valued experience from site members!

Cheers

Thanks Ian,

Yes, quite a journey! My wife and 20 month old boy + Landcruiser packed to the hilt = good times though! We were fortunate to spend a few months trekking the east coast which made it a lot less taxing. Enjoying Qld very much though. I'm originally a Tassie lad, so much nicer weather up here...though i am a tad sunburnt at present!

Cheers

G`Day M M and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif.

I`m a bit south of you at Deeral 45 k south of Cairns, I`ve had a Maxair WB Drifter for 25 years and You`re absolutely correct about open cockpit flying,here in the north.

At the moment there are 2 Trikes that fly from Deeral.I`ve flown in trikes and I reckon Trikes are good but the Drifter is better,:big_grin:. I know I know,I`m biased.

Hope to see you fly into my place some day.

Cheers,

Frank.

Ps. A gathering of Trikes on my strip.

Trikes..jpg.d14d34883e1bfb152179a379ec9dab44.jpg

Trikes.1.jpg.efbd3b14cb204fad9a2e821dc4948f8d.jpg

G`Day Ian, getting any rain where you are?

Got almost all of that water from a storm last night. Half an hour ago the rain stopped just long enough to go up and take these photos.

The photos are from my place looking north to Cairns.

Cheers,

Frank.

955451299_LookingNorth1..jpg.940ac70d7547cdd27c06ebac27c33781.jpg

1334934057_LookingNorth.(Small).jpg.25ab7d977e421196f90e1f244bb5e731.jpg

Thanks Dazza, looking forward to completing my training and advancing as far as possible with pilot qualifications. Will help when i can buy and aircraft...which will come after i find a decent job....

Farri, would love to drop in mate, when i am at a competent stage of flying. Might even like to check out the drifter!

Welcome to the forums Microlight Magic. I'm sure you will enjoy your flying in FNQ and the wealth of experience of those posting here. Who are you doing your lessons with? I learnt to fly three axis with Ron Watson down at Innisfail. I landed at both Frank's strip and at the microlight/helo strip at Port Douglas. It looks pretty short when landing a Jabiru!

Frank, great photos that remind me of my time in FNQ. I'm really enjoying my time in Southern NSW but still have great memories of FNQ 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif , especially the flying.

Cheers, Mathew

Ian,

I went for a flight in an XT912 near Mareeba and whilst I enjoyed it, I prefer 3 axis so this is what I learnt to fly in. Originally flew the Jabiru UL/D but am now flying the low wing Tecnam P2002 out of Temora. It has been interesting making the adjustment from high wing to low wing, but in both cases I've been able to walk away and reuse the aircraft!

Cheers, Mathew

Hi M.M., welcome to the world of aviation. I was in P.D. a couple of years back and wanted to take a trike trip but the cost was extortionist. Talk about robbing the unwary. If memory serve me it was something like $240 an hr. I just hope he/she didn't get many takers.

Guest davidh10

Welcome M.M. They are addictive. My original aerial photography flight turned into a Pilot Certificate and trike ownership :big_grin:

Just a tip. When you come to buy one, if you get a pre-loved one, get it checked out by someone competent before committing. There's rogues in aviation too, who would,for example, have you buy their bargain that has been damaged by a hard landing. I've seen several cases and heard of others.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Davidh10, cheers for the advice. Yep..sooo addictive! I have been looking at plenty of 2nd hand trikes advertised, and as you say, i will indeed get my instructor to look over any potential purchase. prices seem to vary greatly thats for sure. Would love to go for an xt912 tundra...but unless i can find a great deal, i think it will be an edge 582 (hmm i wonder if tundra wheels can be fitted?). Know of any? (trailers too).

Cheers

Guest davidh10
Thanks for all the positive comments guys....Would love to go for an xt912 tundra...but unless i can find a great deal, i think it will be an edge 582 (hmm i wonder if tundra wheels can be fitted?). Know of any? (trailers too).

Cheers

There's certainly a kit to retrofit Tundra wheels to the 912, but I'm not aware of whether there is one available for the X as well. You could ask Airbourne.

Because they are "Certified" factory built aircraft, you cannot legally make any changes to the aircraft except with the authority of the manufacturer, hence the "kit" for the Tundra wheels and manufacturer's instructions for fitting, which has to then be included in the aircraft maintenance log.