Nav theory exams - how to prepare

I realise this has probably been answered a thousand times but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I'm going to be doing some navs soon and would like to study at home rather than do a course. What I'd like to know is this: what study materials would others suggest I use? Are there practice exams so I can see the type of questions that will be asked? Any other info you guys reckon I need to read?

Also, because I have a PPL do I still need to do the HF exam?

Thanks

Tony

Yes thirsty, you do need the HF exam. But I am curious why you are sitting the nav exam? Your PPL should convert straight over and give you a x-country endorsement.

If not, then the PPL texts on the subject should more than cover it.

cheers

Surely if you take out the CTA sections, there is little about navs that is any different between RAA and GA. I used the Trevor Thom series when I did my PPL, and found them very well written....

Thanks for all that guys. Next question then - do I really need a text? There is a lot of info on the web including this forum on navigation. What will a text give me that isn't already out there in the collective wisdom of the www?

Guest eland2705
collective wisdom of the www?

Hmmmm! Now there's the subject of a whole new topic right there!

Would strongly suggest documents written/published by known and reputable authors/instructors be consulted. As strange as it seems, not everything we read on the WWW is accurate.

Understood, however, on this very site there is this Nav tutorial - Flight planning contents (xhtml w3c 01/10)

It seems to me just about everything I would want to know about navigation is there - am I wrong?

What puts me off buying texts is that once the exam is passed and the endo is completed it'll probably never be looked at again.

Guest davidh10
Flight planning contents (xhtml w3c 01/10)[/url]It seems to me just about everything I would want to know about navigation is there - am I wrong?

What puts me off buying texts is that once the exam is passed and the endo is completed it'll probably never be looked at again.

I found Internet resources, supplemented with Ground School to be just fine. I don't think either in isolation met the whole requirement for information, but then I really decided to get into the meteorology side of things as well. The BOM web site is good, in the Aviation section (also Forecasting Weather). Another great web site is the "Cloud Appreciation Society". Don't laugh. I'm serious.

Apart from John's tutorials on this site, which are excellent, I agree with Eland2705. You do need to test the info you find, firstly for a reputable origin and secondly to find supporting information from another reputable source. Also test it from your own intellectual logic perspective... Does it make sense? does the physics work? If you have doubts ask your CFI.

As I was doing Navs before obtaining my Pilot Certificate, it is difficult for me to separate the Ground School topics to those specifically aimed at that endorsement. In addition, Ground School was topic based rather than Endorsement based and attendance varied from one-on-one with the CFI to about five students at time. The aim was to learn the information thoroughly, not just learn to pass an endo.

My CFI showed me how to plan the first Nav and we worked through it together. I planned my second Nav at home and asked a few questions during visits to the AD, where I felt I lacked understanding or was unsure. All subsequent Navs were solely planned by me at home. Over about the first three Navs, I experimented with the format and physical implementation of the flight plan and maps to settle on a system that worked well for me. I designed and developed my own flight plan knee-board sheet, which I still use.

What suits different people varies according to how they best learn and their study skills. My path suited me, but may not suit others. I have to say that My CFI's teaching style and flexibility worked very well for me, however I've seen that he constantly adapts his style to suit the individual student. The mark of a born instructor.

Thanks for the informative reply David. I find I learn much more actually doing than studying. Having said that I enjoy learning and read a lot including the nav stuff at the link I posted above. My school won't be running a formal training course until next year and I'd like to start my navs before then so I need to get as much info as possible. I think I'll try and absorb as much as I can from this site and see how that goes. I'll also have a chat with the CFI and see what he reckons.

Tony