What Helicopters can really do but are not allowed to any more.....

mechfx

Utterly irresponsible, BUT...... evil grin. Cast me back many years to a couple of trips in military choppers - in a faraway land and time when mr Casa or equivalent didn't get to have a say in such matters.:big_grin:

Guest joacofab

Don't you think there is something weird in the Rio video? when recorded inside the cockpit the pilot does strong inputs to the cyclic but the chopper does not over react, his hand is not supported on his lap which must be unconfortable and hard to control the helicopter, he turns around the Christ but looks the other way not a natural reaction, and he takes his right hand off cyclic to say hello. I would like to hear chopper pilots comments.

• 2 years later...

I agree about some creative editing but there is obviously some real looking footage of the H300 in real looking situations and also the "forward looking" video was taken from some aircraft (and I guess it was from an era before unmanned aircraftbwith good cameras) so I think it probably was a real low level jolly done at a time when there was less rules or where someone felt they could get away with it.

Some of the footage looks a bit suspect with hair being gently blown in odd directions etc

I have no time in Hughes 300 (but about 1000 hrs in robinsons) and in Robbie's at least you can fly with the cyclic between your knees to get hands free for very short periods. I would never do it in a bank like this guy nor be waving outside. But maybe the fractions work better on a Hughes 300.

My guess is that it was a very carefully planned flight probably approved for a movie shoot. Some of the swoops he did through the city and then climbing up over buildings that were invisible until he passed another one in front suggest the planning. He would have known his climb rate was sufficient to clear the unseen building.