Parking aircraft outside - pitfalls?

Thirsty

Hi Guys, just after some information mostly. It looks like any aircraft I buy will have to live outside or come home with me in a trailer each time I fly. What I'm wondering is will this be OK for lightweight, fabric covered aircraft eg SkyRanger/Thruster etc. I like the X-Air/Thruster types for a first aircraft but I'm not to sure how they'll handle being outside especially in our very hot summer.

Any opinions or does anyone do this currently?

Thanks

Parking outside.

There is a simple answer to this DON'T DO IT. In a very short time it will be worthless. The fabric is the most obvious consideration, but everything suffers. You have the possibility of vandalism fuel contamination. cotrol cables, control pulley bearings windscreens. Wind damage , birds.etc. Nev

So even with full covers it's a no-go? I think the X-Air wings come off fairly easily so that would be a trailerable proposition. The other option is a Jab LSA55 which should handle the weather aspects better.

Covers etc.

You use these for when you are away. The plane has to be tied down always as well and this is not easily achieved well if you are not around. The plane may have to be moved depending on which direction the wind is coming from. It would be a constant worry. I wouldn't leave ANY plane out in the open permanently. You have spiders, snakes, bees, wasps, rats . Even a cow will write off a plane if it gets at it. Wait for others opinions too, but mine is clear, Nev

Thanks Nev. I'll be checking on hangarage at the airports closest to me but from what I'm told there aren't many spots available. I may have no choice in the matter if I want to own my own aircraft. I guess if it comes to that then a trailer is an answer for something like an X-air - I'm guessing I can leave the trailer at the airport for the same monthly fee as leaving the aircraft parked there.

trailer?

If you can obtain a trailer that is substantial and leave it at the airport, that would be a solution. Doesn't have to be in perfct condition. The Obvious next step is why not trailer it home. THAT is another matter entirely and unless it is done very carefully the plane can be damaged especially if the roads are rough. Can You erect a demountable shed? If it is well anchored it may be a solution. You shouldn't need a permit or anything if it is not a permanent structure. Having you OWN hanger is a good idea as others don't bump your plane. Nev

Consider the cost of hangarage vs the benfits. At Moorabbin I can totally rebuild my Decathlon airframe every 3 years rather than paying for hangarage for the same time - it will survive maybe 10 times that time outside.

Choose a spot with some shelter, point it into the prevailing wind and secure the controls properly etc. A cabin cover is cheap. There are certainly some risks with it being outside - hail and, as mentioned, others leaving it not properly secured. In my experience there is a greater danger of rats and spiders in a hangar than outside. Just as many birds in the hangar as outside. They don't get hangar rash if left outside either.

This Husky below was kept outside for many years - from -40 deg C in winter to 30 deg C and lots of UV in summer. Modern fabrics weather very well with the right UV protection, finishes and elbow grease.

[ATTACH]12703.vB[/ATTACH]

I agree, hangarage is good if you can get it for a reasonable price.

HUSKYJH.JPG.50d75d57230591767e7e1f7e361fa393.JPG

Well actually I can get hangarage at Goolwa (just rang Geoff Eastwood) for around $200 pm (less if I can fold the wings). Tiedown is $50 per month. $200 per month is a lot of extra dosh when we're trying to keep costs down though so maybe the folding wings/trailering idea is the way to go. Don't know, will have to think about it some more.

Facthunter's hand wins in spades! Unless you are seriously rich (or caught overnight at an 'away' airfield), tying down outside isn't a sensible storage option. As a recreational pilot, if you have consider it, you really haven't fully done your sums regarding the costs of flying/owning an aircraft. Whilst trailering is an option. done on a repetitive basis it has been proven to have unplanned (but constant) additional maintenance costs. The old f#rts will tell you "Bide your time; squeeze your pennies; hire your club/school Jab for the 25 to 40 or so hours that the average weekend warrior puts in each year and when the financial situation finally allows, get both your a/c and your hangarage issues sorted at the same time. Here endeth the lesson from another old f#rt. Cheers

Well I've almost decided to give parking outside a miss. For the sake of an extra $150 per month over parking outside I'll probably just take the hangar option.

Thanks all for your advice.

Guest davidh10

I seriously considered trailering an aircraft home vs hangaring at the local Aerodrome, which is only 5 minutes drive. My conclusion was hangar it.

How long does it take to assemble and ready for flight vs just extract it from the hangar? With it hangered, I am able to fly much more often than I would otherwise, and in winds that would make outside assembly impossible too.

In my first year of flying, I've thus managed to fly, on average, twice a week and completed 97 hours.

I've seen what strong wind can do. Even some heavier GA aircraft dance in their tie downs. I'm sure that fabric covered RAA aircraft would be damaged in storms, even if tied down. Near me, shade sails in a park have blown down, not by tearing, but by straightening the shackles and stripping the bolt threads.

My recommendation is hangar it if you can.