fly by wire

Guest basscheffers
Why would you bother.

Because many of us here fly experimental aircraft, and this is all about experimenting!

Guest Maj Millard

Winton....Facet Opal...................you have a Facet Opal ??????????....................................Maj

Yes, that would be the most appropriate "fly by wire". My enquiry was genuine though. Personally I have wondered about using hydraulic actuation as it should control flutter, as well as actuate the controls if properly designed. Weights has never appealed to me. There should be a better way. Nev

Fly by Wire can open up all sorts of interesting possibilities - mixing control inputs across multiple control surfaces, exponential rate contouring - all sorts of stuff. However (and I write real-time control software for a living), I'm not sure that I'd like to be in an experimental plane with experimental software - not without a good solid direct control backup option. I spend too much time hunting glitches that no one ever thought of to bet my life on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turnbase

Gnome I think you're spot on. I had a little to do with fly by wire control of racing motorcycles and the biggest comment back from the rider was that the system lacked feel. And one famous saying goes "if he doesn't have any confidence and won't roll on the throttle then don't go and look at the telementry and say that the computer says you can apply more throttle." Colin Edwards was forever saying this on the Aprillia. Fly by wire is extremely complicated in an already complicated world. Our planes are already very simple and easy to operate so why over complicate them even more.

thank you for your coments on fly by wire, you are so right.

So why do it ? Well I have two control surfaces and I wish to be the one that moves them.

With a normal control colum, it moves and thats not what I want.

The Facet Opals handling can only be improved with a system thats coming.

When it arrives, I will have no hesitation taking out the old and putting in the new.

As for back up, I have it! If that does work I will fly the Opal weight shift.

I know how it works. Very simply up down right left.

thanks DHB