Who`s going to OSHKOSH 2011

KB59

I am thinking of going again this year. Few things to get out of the way here then arrange a couple of things in the US.

Start here www.airventure.org you will find everything!! you need to know there. If you are not already an EAA member then join. Member discounts for entry, car hire, airfares ect.

It is big, mind boggelling big, travel as light as you can. Study the website. draw up a rough plan. and take it from there.

Ozzie

The EAA had a discount available with Northwest but now can't find any reference to them. This looks like it may have changed since NW became part of Delta Airlines.

The Hertz car hire discount is still available.

If I was able to go I'd defiantly put Podapalooza on the top of my to do list. It would be good to see all the people I've listened too. Especially Bill Will from 'the student pilot cast' and 'the pilotcast'.

Chris Kent.

Guest basscheffers

Yup, I'll be there! Flights and accommodation (Uni dorm) all booked. I'll arrive O'Hare on Thursday arvo, leave the next Sunday.

• 1 month later...

I am going too, "Yes", planning is the big thing as there is so mch to see and information to gather, do not want to miss a thing.

When time is my side will send some useful little hints.

Regards,

Keith Page.

Good Morning KB59

As promosed I will get back whem time was on my side.

What Ozzie came up with is good oil, I will stress be a member their mags. are brilliant info. everywhere in them. The information sent on the internet is good too.

When you get to Oshkosh it is homebuilders heaven, start a note book of where you get differnt parts, lot cheeper and/or better quality we can get here, I find the week is not long enough if you do it properly.

EAA prints a daily news paper and it is gold for letting you know what is on.

Plan and use the trams - save time and legs.

Get a bit of fitness about you before you go as there will be a lot of walking.

Trams:- John Deer tractor with 4 or 5 people movers on behind excellent consept.

Getting there I use "Avtours" saves the irritation and the pit falls of the organising to get to Oshkosh, I think this year we will be delivered to the Oshkosh EAA airfield.

When you get there on Sunday organise your *weekly bus ticket *pass, Monday morning you can hit the ground running

With Avtours you will be booked into the uni.. Meals are at the uni. dining hall breakfast last year US $8.00 all you can eat, dinner US$12.00 all you can eat, you do not have to eat at the uni. however I find that very convienent.

If you need more info. PM me.

Get a weekly bus ticket US $20.00 and you can go backwards and forwards all day, useful when we end up with heavy shopping in the mornings.

Regards,

Keith Page..

In the process of organising my trip. Flying to Toronto and meeting 4 friends there for a Great-Lakes road trip to Oshkosh, a week at Oshkosh and another road trip back to Toronto. Almost 3 weeks on that bit. Also to spend a week or 2 in Colorado visiting my Mother before that and that's the difficult bit to organise at the moment trying to fit in my significant other.

Good Afternoon Flying Dog

Below is the link to the EAA web site, you will find all the information needed for planning your trip to Oshkosh.

The email address will get the information about your trip there.

When you do the email change the "*" to a "@", I do not how true it is, however I was told that trick will keep the spammers at bay. Who knows?????

manager*avtours.com.au

Keep working you will get there.

Regards

Keith Page.

Flying Dog you are correct, there are a few organisations offering trips to Oshkosh.

However make sure you are comparing apples with apples -- or you could be disappointed.

Regards,

Keith Page.

Oh, just on something semi-related:

I don't want to simply go there see the show and come home.

I would like to do something after/before the show - depending on if the plane flys into Oshkosh or not.

If it does, it would be AFTER the show. If it doesn't, it doesn't matter when.

I was wondering what else I could do/see while there.

Seattle, Cape Kennedy, LasVegas...... Plane grave yard?

Keith, agreed.

I have someone offering me accommodation at the uni. He has already got the deposit on the room. So THAT side is ok. It is just the details of where the plane lands, and the return trip.

I hear some have a fixed return date, others don't.

I have stayed with a family and their rate was quite good, but it has been a LONG time and getting in touch with them may not be easy.

While there, I may want a rental car too, just to look around other things while in Oshkosh.

For the sake of maybe helping anyone else could we discuss the differences here?

I see that one of the listed prices - all inclusive-ish - is about $3800 AU. Not bad I guess.

But it doesn't stipulate where you land, only options of Oshkosh or Appleton. No dates of return flights or when you get there.

(Ok, maybe I missed it.)

Guest basscheffers

I'd say any advertised price is a "from" price as it depends on which flights you choose. If the trip there is a charter, then of course it only depends on the return flight you choose.

What else to do? The US is a rather large country, as you know. How much time do you have? :) First thing to do is get yourself a copy of the Lonely Planet and/or Rough Guide to the US.

If you have lots of time, it's a great country for a road trip, of course! (Route 66 starts in Chicago and ends in LA, where you probably need to go to catch a plane home anyway.)