Sierra Kit Build Times?

DPW

I think it depends a lot on whether you have done anything like this before and how exacting you want to be. I haven't built an aircraft before (except balsa and fabric models) and I am very fussy about getting everything right with a high quality finish. Garry's estimate is probably right for an experienced builder with everything set up in a good large workshop. I intend to build a Sierra this year starting as soon as my house sells. I do intend to spend some time at Taree and may get the fuselage completed there while extracting as much information on the build process from Garry and Tim as possible. Most of the rest of the construction will be in a double garage and when that gets to be an issue I will rent a larger shed or hangar space. Even with my Engineering background and my last business being Aluminium fabrication, my estimate is to double the build time similar to what Bruce has said.

Kevin

Thanks Guys. I thought that was probably the case. I have completed the emp kit of an RV-9, but I'm looking for something I can complete in 6-12 months for the same amount of time I'm currently spending. The RV will be put on hold for now. And Kevin, I'm in the same boat as you I just need to sell the house.

Sierra 100 Build time

John and other Sierra buildersHow accurate do you think the 400 hours build time listed by Gary really is. Do you have a completed kit built Sierra? How long did it take you to build?

Cheers

Damian

Hi Damian,

Build time extremely variable of course, but as an estimate for average builder about 800 hours.

Have almost completed one and estimate 800 hrs so far. Also depends on: using countersunk or dome rivets, tooling one has at disposal, familiarity with aluminium builds and quality of build.

cheers, Dave.

Have almost completed one and estimate 800 hrs so far. Also depends on: using countersunk or dome rivets

Hi Dave,

Did you use countersunk rivets? They make a much neater finish plus reducing drag & I presume the extra time is taken to countersink the hole in the skin to get a flush finish without too much distortion. Any chance of posting some pics of where you are up to now? I really like the panel setup with the fuel sight tube and the quality of finish you showed us back in September. Also the oil temperature control. Do you have an estimate of the extra weight added by your mods? How far away from the maiden flight are you now?

Sorry for all the questions but the more info I can get the better prepared I will be.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Damian I think build will vary a far bit i know mine will be a far bit more than 400hrs. depends on so many different things,how fussy you are ,any personal changes you make eg. i,m putting a GA style dash in mine so a far bit of time will go into that,if you put in flaps ect ect.

Cheers John

• Caution 1

Hi Kevin,

Yes have used csk rivets with my build. The skins are 'dimpled' as they are too thin to countersink. Square tubes and ribs etc. were countersunk ensuring thickness is enough not to enlarge hole from the 1/8 inch. Some fibreglass rib flanges were increased in thickness to acommodate this requirement.

If you need to purchase dimple-die sets, or counter-sink kits, take a look at: www.yardstore.com (texas squeeze & dimple combo kit, on special for February at $229)

or www.aircraftspruce.com ( ats hand rivet squeezer $105.95 1/8 dimple die set $15.50)

For dimpling areas away from skin edges, use the dimple-die set mounted in a 3/16 hole in a piece of steel plate as the base, and other half of die in 200mm length of metal rod, to make the punch half. lightly tap with soft face hammer to dimple.

Will post photos tomorrow when available. Weight estimates are keeping overall weight unchanged as some mods have reduced weight.

First flights are a few months away at this stage, as still building.

cheers, Dave.

Kevin,

Some up to date photos attached of Sierra 100 build at the moment. Flaps to be finished yet. wings need removing and inverting for walkway installations, canopy to be finalized, upholstery & paint required.

cheers Dave.

IMG_3200.jpg.6479d8291380b38767fc5b8509fb75da.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg.005247e9d48fd6367e2e78dd59c36dee.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg.b41dcfa17591abbd872716b9b1390b1c.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg.3b3dd61cd52ddf05408931e0a4b03158.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg.dfceb2a45bff6b5c082ca460f6b27fe4.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg.fb1ebc5e9c00a3a4b2d277f81813676a.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg.9638bc9c16f3ad954153488c90b73d5b.jpg

Dave,

Thanks for posting these progress photos. The build looks superb. The flush fuel cap & oil filler cap are also very nice touches. I notice that you have the aileron control mounted on the top of the wing. Garry's are underneath the wing and he has balance horns to help keep the controls light. Is there any particular or performance reason for this difference?

Cheers

Kevin

I thought you guys would notice a difference with aileron control. We have re-designed the dual control system which required output at top for correct travel direction & differential ( up travel greater than down) which was not achiveable originally. Balance arm remains standard.

..Dave.

Hi Kevin,

Have fairings made for the location. Will put them on later, see photos.

Have you also noticed ailerons and flaps are made from a single sheet, to give a stonger and cleaner trailing edge.

cheers, Dave.

IMG_3211.jpg.c0e9cf0c2af347db960a6f121a0e673b.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg.c7b72984ebf4a309d401850f351477f0.jpg

I've noticed it now. Very clean.

BTW I have just sold my house here so will be moving to our new place at Corindi Beach, NSW in a month or so if all goes well. I will be getting Garry to start organising my Kit pretty soon but I will need another couple of days at Taree first to settle on the options. I intend to take up Garry's offer to start the build at Taree, then do as much as I can in my Garage before renting a bigger shed or hangar space to complete it. I'd love a decent shed like yours but my wife wanted a house.

Kevin

Well Kev, you will just have to build a shed in the back yard, telling your wife it is all so you can build aircraft that can take her away on holidays !

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Not trying to be sarcastic in any way, but with all your changes to the aircraft, will it still be a Morgan Sierra ?

I only say that because a certain aircraft design in SA some years ago was extensively modified by one owner that, when it had an accident, the aircrafts good reputation suffered.

Has Gary Morgan approved the modifications?

Best regards, Alan.

Hi Alan,

Aircraft is still 95% original sierra 100, and no Gary has not approved changes, or needs to, in the Amateur built catagory.

regards, Dave.

Now that I know we can add a few improvements to our Morgan Sierra, I have always wanted to add some 'wing' mirrors.

I reckon that a pair of those large truck mirrors bolted onto the winglets would be very effective.

OH well, trust my Son-in-law to knock the wind out of my sails, he said "Don't be stupid old man, what aircraft could possibly be fast enough

to try and overtake a Morgan Sierra!!!

I guess I'll go back into my box.

Dejected Alan.

• Haha 1