Overflying Moorabbin

On my next nav, I have to overfly Moorabbin. I've always had to stop at Moorabbin so I'm not really sure about the procedures for overflying. Up until now, I've only overflown CTAF airports, so only had to make a call on the area frequency.

So, what do I need to do at Moorabbin? Do I call up the tower at an approach point and say I want to overfly for Leongatha or what?

On a related note, if I want to, say, fly around the bay, so need to go past Moorabbin to get there from my home field, but don't want to land at Moorabbin (so staying outside the Moorabbin 5 mile circle on the map), do I need to call up the tower and tell them I'm going past or anything? Or talk to Melbourne Centre? Or tell anyone at all?

Cheers :big_grin:

Planey: 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

DJ: thanks

With the second question about around the bay, the call would be more of a courtesy call than anything, yeh? So you wouldn't be told off if you didn't call or anything? What kind of thing would you say in that situation?

With the second question about around the bay, the call would be more of a courtesy call than anything, yeh? So you wouldn't be told off if you didn't call or anything?

Refer to the expanded part of the VTC for recommended altitude and follow the blue dots. You'll be mixing it with MB traffic which will be on Tower frequency between Brighton and Carrum.There used to be a guy in the Tower who had the nickname of the Tower Nazi who told people off for almost anything. If you talk to them they'll be nice to you - if you don't talk to them they'll wonder what you are doing so increases their stress level.