Cramps

Just wondering if anyone has experienced cramps in their legs while flying.

Every now an then i will get cramps in my left leg which is very painful unless i can pull my toes back, i have images of me ripping off my jumper and putting it over my toes and pulling hard.....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I would be interested in hearing how someone has handled this.

I'm about to start my Navs and am heading to Bunbury for a revision flight today so i have made sure that i am well hydrated:wink:

Chris

Yep, been in that situation. And it's a relief to get back on the ground.

I have suffered leg/groin (no jokes now!! :)) cramps for many years now and have worked out I can get instant relief by drinking staminade. The active ingredient is magnesium I believe.

My cramps are brought on if I have been doing more physical activity than normal, so if that is the case I drink staminade before flying .

The first time it happened in the Thruster there was a moment of panic as my cramps take a long time to dissipate if I have no Staminade, but I soon realised that the pain just had to be pushed to the back of my mind to allow me to aviate - Northam airfield was a welcome sight let me tell you!!!

Pud

Yep been there Chris as well. After a serious working bee on our Aero Club Hangar, climbing up & down ladders all day, I had a feeling the 22nm flight in the Gazelle back home may not be too good knowing my tendency to get leg cramps not to mention the cramped Gazelle cockpit. I was right, about 1/4 the way into the trip the left leg cramped. All I needed to do was straighten it out for a bit. I thought about opening the door, which you can do in the Gazelle & sticking it outside but decided to grin & bear it. I remember landing in agony not caring about the quality of the landing & as soon as the wheels were on the ground open went the door & out went the leg. All good by time I taxiied to the house. As Pud said keep up the electrolytes. My favourite & immediate cure is about half a teaspoon of salt. Its never let me down. I know not good for the arteries but everything in moderation as they say. Remember a Paramedic saying about using salt which he liked as well "At least I won't die from a brain haemmorage" Should put some in the Zephyr I guess but at least I can stretch my legs out straight in it.I don't really think hardening your arteries with salt would prevent a brain haemmorage though..........LOL

Cheers

Dexter

Hehehe, fun eh Dexter?

It's why I've designed the instrument panel in my T500, without the centre section that extends down to the axle. That way I can spread my leg out straight if flying on my own. Like in this photo. That's my Granddaughter Maisey, cute eh?

Pud

2012283018_CopyofPhoto0043.jpg.5b8387589544b2e12cd93a1b7f8900bc.jpg

Guest davidh10

Pud;

I resemble your remarks!

I haven't had a bad cramp in flight yet. When I do, I won't enjoy the flight and will be making a bee-line for the closest ALA to stretch it out. Being weight-shift, I only need legs on the ground for steering and brakes, so not quite as much of an issue as for 3-axis. I use Natures Way Magnesium tablets, which also contain some B6, which assists absorbtion. Although I haven't used Staminade for years, that sounds like a good solution, as it is an electolyte replacement drink and contains Sodium and Potassium as well as Magnesium.

I suspect all will agree... prevention is better than cure :-)

Pud;I resemble your remarks!

I haven't had a bad cramp in flight yet. When I do, I won't enjoy the flight and will be making a bee-line for the closest ALA to stretch it out. Being weight-shift, I only need legs on the ground for steering and brakes, so not quite as much of an issue as for 3-axis. I use Natures Way Magnesium tablets, which also contain some B6, which assists absorbtion. Although I haven't used Staminade for years, that sounds like a good solution, as it is an electolyte replacement drink and contains Sodium and Potassium as well as Magnesium.

I suspect all will agree... prevention is better than cure :-)

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

As far as prevention goes.... These days when I feel like some physical activity and exercise, I go and have a lay down until the feeling passes!!

Pud

Guest Maj Millard

Pud, Yes I've had them but usually when I hop in a new plane, that has an odd, or different rudder pedal angle. Can't think of any particular one's at present, but they are out there. Possibly one of the first Savvys I flew. Hey by the way, looks like you are doing a fine job on that Thruster, for an old geezer.........Maj...

Iv'e never had them flying, but after a hard bushwalk they can be a problem. Staminade is good plus eating bananas helps, they have phosphorous. It is not necessarily good to drink a lot of water if you are sweating a lot, that reduces the electrolyte level in the blood which is a prime cause of cramps. Staminade is better in my opinion than some of the energy drinks which are much higher in sugar. If you can only get a high sugar drink it may help to mix it and drink it quickly as the sugar takes more time to dissolve and you will not drink it. There have been a few good articles on the net, just try Googling for them. One I found was aviation oriented, but I can't remember it's address.

Very good article in the May - June 2010 Flight Safety Australia magazine. p. 61 - 64 "Don't sweat and forget" Strongly advocates sports drinks (not energy drinks) to aid hydration. Supports my personal experience over many years with Staminade. Not only for flying.

http://HTTP://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_93081 If the link doesn't work, you can find the edition on line at CASA under the Education Tab.

So chrsq,How did your flight to Bunbury go?

Pud

Pud,

Just got back, i have to drive 220km to get to Bunbury so i try to make a day of it. I took a mate (Ben) and after the flight we went to a pub on the beach for lunch before browsing Bunnings and Dick Smiths then heading to a scrap merchant to pick up some 500mm steel pipes for a creek crossing (for my farm).

The flight was a very interesting one, once all of the preflight checks were done and we were seated ready for startup i noticed i could not talk to Ben as well as not transmit. After a bit of swapping and cursing, the CFI, who was nearby, came over and solved the problem by using a "double adapter" and plugging both headsets into the right set of plugs. So now all i had to do was remember to press the transmit button on the right yoke.

Once in the air we headed off for a scenic flight north to the training area to then reutrn down the coast over Bunbury before landing. When we got to the training area there was a small fire which looked like it was started by a power pole, it started at one end of a small 20Ha paddock and moving slowly west. Within minutes we had a spotter plane overhead and he told us this had been reported. We were in direct view of the fire for 20minutes and no fire units had turned up, i must say here that I am a past fire chief for the shire of Katanning WA and if this had been reported we would have had 5-10 units (farmers) at the fire or on their way. At this stage the fire could have been extinguished by 2 units. Another 10 minutes we looked back and the fire had now got into thick bush, another 10-15 minutes and we had landed just in time to see three water bombers taking off to put this fire out. When we left the airport an hour later they were still active. There maybe more to this but i am just saying what i saw, anyway it was an interesting flight.

Just like to say it was great to watch the bombers in action and i admire these guys for what they do, not forgetting the refillers who were very efficient.

Back to the cramps........ I have been taking Bio Magnesium and this seems to be working well, I like the idea of Gatorade and will certainly be giving it a go.

Iv'e never had them flying, but after a hard bushwalk they can be a problem. Staminade is good plus eating bananas helps, they have phosphorous. It is not necessarily good to drink a lot of water if you are sweating a lot, that reduces the electrolyte level in the blood which is a prime cause of cramps. Staminade is better in my opinion than some of the energy drinks which are much higher in sugar. If you can only get a high sugar drink it may help to mix it and drink it quickly as the sugar takes more time to dissolve and you will not drink it. There have been a few good articles on the net, just try Googling for them. One I found was aviation oriented, but I can't remember it's address.

Yenn, your suggestion about water diluting electrolytes is an interesting one. Makes sense on those days where i have sweated a lot and drank heaps of water when returned home only to cramp up during the night.

Guest davidh10
Yenn, your suggestion about water diluting electrolytes is an interesting one. Makes sense on those days where i have sweated a lot and drank heaps of water when returned home only to cramp up during the night.

The opposite is also true. You can also overload with electolytes, and thus directions for use of Staminade and similar electrolyte replacement products must be followed. Too much Magnesium can also cause cramps, weak heatbeat, changes in mental status, muscle weakness, very low blood pressure etc.. Too much Sodium (Salt) can cause water retention, including causing serious issues with the heart and lungs.

As with most things, a common sense approach and judicious use can be beneficial, but overdosing can be dangerous.

That Flight safety article was the one I was thinking about. I believe it also gave references to other articles, which I used to put together an article for our bushwalking newsletter.

I suffer cramping in my right foot sometimes, and most of the time it is doing something stress full, like test flying a new AC, or flying for the first few minutes in a different ac, other than that i been lucky i guess.