RA Pilot Friendly Airport around Adelaide.

anamitra70

Hi,

I would like to fly into a RA pilot friendly airport close to Adelaide as I would like to visit my son studying there. I wonder if forumites might know about any airfields where I could park my Foxbat for a day or two and maybe get a car for hire to drive to Adelaide. Will be happy to pay for the privilege . Appreciate any information.

Thanks all.

Aldinga is about a 45 minute drive from Adelaide. I live near Aldinga and work at Murray Bridge with RPA (Recreational Pilot's Academy) - about an hours drive from Adelaide. I'm sure James (owner and CFI) would be happy to look after your Foxbat for you for a few days. There probably wouldn't be any hangar room but the area in front of the hangars is out of the way and protected.

If you come over on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday I'd be happy to drive you into Adelaide where you could hire a car.

Hi Thirsty,

I could drive 45 min from Aldinga. Can I get a car hire ? I will have to do this on a semi regular basis for 5 yrs, so will have to work something on a long term. I shall usually come on a Friday to Aldinga and flyback on Sunday. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Getting a rental car is going to be the problem. Aldinga is a good distance from the city and Murray Bridge is way out, take you at least 60 minutes to drive to the city. Taxi would be cost prohibitive and I can't see how you would get a rental car at either location. Consider either

1. Organising a ride, would need to be both ways

2. Bring a small bike (yeah not much viable)

3. Flying into Parafield....?

On the latter as it is in controlled airspace you would need to chat to a local flying school (Forsyth Aviation is the only RAA one there that I know of) to see if this could be arranged & there would be fees plus the need for an ASIC.Transponder? Probably. Maybe Bas or others here familiar with Parafield could comment if this can be arranged or not. Closer to the city & more chance of rental cars there I would think.

Not easy is it?031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

Gawler is an option. There are hirecars available from gawler (the town not the airport) and taxi's available also if the hire car mob wont come to the airport. Plenty of ground transport options available if you can get into parafield but in general that requires a PPL and associated medical.

From Gawler to the city is pretty straight forward as it in effect sits on the main highway to the Riverlands and points east.

Hire cars: www.barosacarrentals.com.au

Adelaide Soaring club (operators of the airport): www.adelaidesoaring.on.net

Gawler Taxi's 8523 1366.

Note that getting from Gawler Airport to Gawler main street is not even close to straight line on the map. Rather from the airport you head north up to Gawler belt then turn SE down over the gawler bypass onto RedBanks Rd an on inot gawlers main St. In effect you do about 8km for what would be about 2km as the foxbat flies. (if interested I could show you on google maps)

Gawler into Adelaide can be driven or by public transport with Busses and trains available from Gawler, though it would probably be prudent to ensure that use of train was kept to business hours plus or minus a couple. It may be Ok now but historically the gawler line could be troublesome...

The Airport has avgas available (but will require a bit of co-ordinating with the office guy during business hours and I think that they may actually advertise no avgas avail to general public.... or you can get mogas in your 8k trek into gawler. Gawler airport has long runways (though shorter than they once were before a new road carved them up) and is easy to see from a distance.

You will need to note the correct entry and exit paths on the Adelaide VNC's as Gawler is surounded by CTA and Airforce operated "as required" R zones, from memory the Soaring club website above shows most of that if you go looking. Sounds much worse than it is in reality. Coming in over the hills about 10nm to the east can put you pretty close to the class C ceiling and the ground but dont worry the ground falls away and before long there is altitude to spare. In any event country out that way is generally not short of emergency landing options except where the grapes are as the trellises tend to be aircraft unfriendly and that is also a problem around Aldinga as well.

Probably should also identify that while the club is a gliding club it does have a fleet or RAA aircraft and many RAA members so in general you wont be without assistance if you find you need it.

Hope that helps

Regards

Andy

Well if you are going to do it on a regular basis I guess you'll need to look at all options. Goolwa is another option and i know they do car rental there. Goolwa is about 1.5 hours from Adelaide and here is a link for hire cars at the airport - http://www.goolwaairport.com.au/CarRentals.htm

If you get to know someone at any of these places a ride is probable.

BTW - The closest non CTA airports to Adelaide would be Gawler in the North and Aldinga in the South. Forsyth don't operate out of Parafield anymore (as RAA I mean they operate GA only now).

Thank you all for all the detailed input. It seems like Aldinga or Gawlor are the only possibilities. Am in the process of organizing some form of transport to and from. I'm grateful for all your help. Thanks again.

If you are planning on a 5 yr term you could probably but an el cheapo car & leave it at the airport of your choice, in your absence.

Also gives you an around town transport when you are there.

Cheers

H

If you are planning on a 5 yr term you could probably but an el cheapo car & leave it at the airport of your choice, in your absence.Also gives you an around town transport when you are there.

Cheers

H

Hi H,

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Thanks

Cheers .

Guest basscheffers

Parafield is out unless you have a PPL; Dave only lets people that have actually done ab-initio with him fly under the exemption. It would be the most convenient option...

Gawler would be great if you could get to the train station in a straight line. But if you are willing to hire (or buy) a car, it's a good spot.

That's pretty much the same for Aldinga, Murray Bridge and Gawler. All are probably as far away from the CBD as each other. Gawler has the option of a quick taxi to the train station and then straight to the CBD. Everywhere is going to mean needing a car.

Guest basscheffers

Just had one more thought: Murray Bridge has distinct advantage in that you will never have to cross the Adelaide hills. Low cloud and visibility in light rain can be a pain at time. Aldinga is know to become bowl you can't get out of at times, requiring a low-level over water flight to loop around south.

Also: MB is less flying compared to Gawler, while the car ride into town will be about the same. So it saves a little time.

Hi Bass,

Thanks for the update. Seems like Murray Bridge is geographically better placed to fly into than Aldinga. Don't much fancy flying low over water. Must get that elcheapo car.

Cheers

Hi and welcome Anamitra70 (curious username) Have sent you a p.m..

Deskpilot,

Anamitra is not a funny name if you were born with it which my mate Animitra was, the 70?? well i don't get that either as he is a reasonable bit younger than that lol.

Go Foxbat Sarkar hope you get it all sorted and find that el cheapo car your looking for, and NO!!!!, I see the way you keep eyeing off my ute out at the airport and your not having that !!!!!! lol.

Well done on selling the trike and enjoy the new Shagbat once you pick it up next week.

Alf

Hi Alf, thanks for clearing that up. I thought the Ana part might be feminine. So what part of the world did he/his family come from (still curious. no offense intended)

Hi Peter, I'd say no mate. I know hangarage at MB is pretty limited and I know a few guys that hangar their planes at Goolwa due to shortages at Aldinga. Goolwa is about 80 -90 K's out of Adelaide and not a bad drive (you can rent a car there as well) so that might be an option as I believe theere may be hangarage available.

Maybe someone from Aldinga will chime in and advise?

I think it will be a case of phone ahead and ask. As I have said, there are new hangers being built, some are sold, someone may be will to share with you. Martyn will accommodate you if it is at all possible. Best cafe' facilties off all local airfields. Check out their site. http://www.AldingaBiplanes.com.au

Thanks for the replies. We usually manage to squeeze someone into a hanger here at Echuca if given enough warning. With the understanding that your aircraft might well be moved to outside the hanger during the day so other people can access their plane. At least this way you are sure of overnight protection and security. Generally costs $15.00 a night when available.

regards

Hi Alf, thanks for clearing that up. I thought the Ana part might be feminine. So what part of the world did he/his family come from (still curious. no offense intended)

Hi Deskpilot,

Anamitra is originally from India even though he only spent around 20 odd years there.

He studied medicine then moved abroad to Ireland for 25 odd years furthering his career.

He has been in Australia (Sale)_with his family about 10 years and is well respected and loved by all in the community.

You could not meet a nicer person than Doc along with his lovely family.

I became great friends with him 6 or 7 years back as unbeknown to me i used to fly my microlight close to his home while doing a circut of Sale township and he eventually hunted me down to find out more about them before learning to fly and buy one before defecting to the dark side recently

He is one of the worlds gems, the nicest and politest man you could meet and a top bloke to boot.

So if anyone out there in Sth Australia close to Adelaide could help him out it would be much appreciated.

PS Sorry Doc if i gave out too much info on you :-)

Cheers

Alf

Flying a Foxbat is "defecting to the dark side" eh? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Well Gnarly Gnu,

We trike pilots call anything other than weightshift defecting to the darkside.

Even though the foxbat has a lower stalling speed than my XT.

I can't comment too much as I also defected to 3 axis in December even though i still do more hrs in the trike and at this point have no intention of selling it just yet.

Alf