Push rod alignment

jetjr

Ive got a new reco solid lifter 6 cyl, running nicely.

Just doing valve adjustments for 10hr, all pretty good, just some a tiny bit tight.

Number 6 was a seemed tight so loosened adjuster and it wouldnt loosen clearance, I then see push rod is sitting out side adjuster, ie not in the socket like it should be.

I gave it a push and it snapped back into place, inspected it all smooth and nice, adjuster not damaged.

I had adjusted them at zero hours and 5 hrs and all OK then.

Whats going on?

Stuck valves can allow this to happen. Really bad case the pushrod becomes jammed beside the rocker.

Sorry I dont know the recommended fix, just observed this happened to an engine that had been extensively overhauled at the factory a year prior, and it took 1 LAME workshop fix, 1 motorcycle workshop fix, 1 fix by the owner to reach a reliable outcome. I think it involved cleaning the valvestems and reaming the guides.

Ralph

Yep Ralph is right, you had a valve which stayed at least partly open for a time. The pushrod is held in the socket because of the force from the valve-spring. Maybe the clearance between the guide and the valve-spring was on the tight side, maybe the spring is weak. You will need to remove that head and get that valve and guide redone.

Bruce

Agree with the above. Most likely a momentary grabbing of the valve in the guide. remove head, check finsh and size ot the valve stem, replace if "Galled"/ worn and establish the correct clearance in the guide.If the wear is very much to one side check valve geometry, At the 1/2 lift position the valve axis should be at right angles to a line from the rocker contact face to the centre of the rocker shaft. Check push rod for straightness also. Nev