CTA Endorsment

Hi Guys and Girls.

Got a question for those of you who may be more up with the CASA regs then I..

In The RA-Aus Operations manual, s2.01 - 2 it states

6. No Person shall enter controlled airspace in a recreational aircraft unless the pilot in command holds a current RA-AUS pilot certificate, has been issued with an ATC clearance and:

a. Holds a current and valid private or higher category pilot licence with a CTA endorsement, or;

b. Holds either;

(i) an RA-Aus pilot certificate with a current CTA endorsement or;

(ii)An RA-Aus student certificate with authorisation for the flight in controlled airspace or:

c. the pilot in command has written approval from CASA to fly in a recreational aeroplane in controlled airspace.

Further on in the regs, and this is where my real question lies, at s2.07 it says

22. An RA-Aus Controlled airspace endorsement permits the holder to operate inside controlled airspace under the following conditions;

a. that the holder is subject to the requirements of any relevant legislation as amended from time to time

So from what i can gather, there is provision in the RA-AUs regs for a cta endo, without the need for a GA PPL, but 2.07 22 refers to other relevant legislation, which could possibly preclude this?

Any takers?

Guest davidh10

From what I heard, it was about to go through when John McCormick was appointed to CASA and stopped it. Talking with CASA staff, it isn't likely to occur while John is in the chair.

I was advised by our RAAus President (Reid Tas Rep) that McCormick, the CASA CEO, has stated that he doesn't have an issue with RAAus pilots eventually being allowed to fly in CTA..."eventually" I can only assume without actual fact could mean that whilst he doesn't have an issue with it, the "terms and conditions" will have to be worked out in due course but remember that RAAus and recreational aviation in general is not a priority on CASA's books.

I wouldn't have care but they are making it impossible to get past Williamtown along the coast without a PPL. While there is of course the inland "Ultralight Lane" it is longer, not as scenic nor as safe as going up the coast.

Having a look at the map an the restrictions, it seems that that area isn't restricted on weekends?