Here we go!!

pudestcon

As something out of the ordinary, I enjoyed the clip, Pud.I notice you have been afflicted with the dreaded dynamic undulating landscape. I found that was caused by airframe vibration transmitted into the camera. I have eliminated it by camera mount design, but it took a bit of trial and error.

Caught some shadows myself today.... Of my aircraft in a circular rainbow on the top surface of fog as it was breaking up. Haven't had a chance to look at it all yet, but I'm hopeful that I've got some footage worth editing :-)

Yes, the undulating footage is an annoyance but I couldn't expect anything else because I just used some insulation tape to attach a cheap Flip Mino camera to the jury strut. I'll try something different next time - soft foam or some such.

I will be interested to see the footage of your aircraft shadow in the circular rainbow, if it turns out for you.

Pud

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Pud I must admit that was a very impressive video however, I was more impressed by the performance of the 'shadow'. On several occasions you tried to pass it without success , so I did some research on Shadow Aircraft. Now we all know of the Streak Shadow but this one needed a Google search, and would you believe the aircraft is designed in Sweden and is available in kit form from Ikea for $2,000 and it comes in a 'Flat Pack'. 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.Alan.

You are a Goon Gurnsey, but I'm gonna check out the Ikea catologue anyway:book:

Pud

Goodonya Pud, Great shadow from 6:10 to 6:14.....I`ve flown the Shadow 261234275_CFMShadow.jpg.72cef1b99dbe1f8e3693dc681f6dd509.jpg A student of mine purchased one and it was housed here for a while so I got to fly it. Great little AC. He later sold it and imported a Zenith CH 701 kit and the finished AC was housed here for almost 10 years. I got to fly it fairly regularly, also.

Off the flying now!....I know very little about your part of the country and watching your YouTube clip, I was wondering if all those trees are what`s called Mallee scrub?

Frank.

Ps, Sounds like that Rotax is running just fine. If you don`t mind me asking!.What IAS are you using in a comfortable cruise and what RPM to maintain it?

Guest Maj Millard

Enjoyed that footage Pud, and as Farri said, that 582 sure does sound nice.....................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Goodonya Pud, Great shadow from 6:10 to 6:14.....I`ve flown the Shadow [ATTACH=full]16824[/ATTACH] A student of mine purchased one and it was housed here for a while so I got to fly it. Great little AC. He later sold it and imported a Zenith CH 701 kit and the finished AC was housed here for almost 10 years. I got to fly it fairly regularly, also.Off the flying now!....I know very little about your part of the country and watching your YouTube clip, I was wondering if all those trees are what`s called Mallee scrub?

Not really called mallee scrub in this part of the world Farri. The bush that comes into view just after lift off is on "Wadjil" ground which is relatively speaking poorer quality country for growing wheat and is typically a pale yellow colour. You will notice the scrub is quite short. Some heavier timber is seen a little later where the shadow comes into view for the first time after lift off. This is heavier ground, typically red clay and grows much taller trees like salmon gums. The area has diverse vegetation such as Mallee, Tammar, Salmon Gum, Gimlet, Wadjil and Tussock. An added bit of interest... At about 2.06 minute mark you can see a yellow clearing in amongst the scrub, this is the remains of a pioneering homestead that operated as a dairy - probably why it was abandoned after a couple of years, but not before a mudbrick cottage was built, that is now melting back into the ground from where it came. Pretty hard to work a dairy on 12 inches of annual rainfall!!

Frank.

Ps, Sounds like that Rotax is running just fine. If you don`t mind me asking!.What IAS are you using in a comfortable cruise and what RPM to maintain it?

With one up, the T500 is happy cruising at around 55knts IAS, or a bit less at 5400 RPMs. I haven't completely worked out the fuel burn yet, but it is less than 20lph which is what I use for planning purposes. As I 'firm up' the full burn numbers I'll probably cut that back a bit.

Pud

Enjoyed that footage Pud, and as Farri said, that 582 sure does sound nice.....................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes Maj, I'm very happy with the 582 although I can only get about 6200 revs max out of it. I suspect the carbies may need tweeking a bit. It also idles a bit slow - 2000rpms, so some adjustment is necessary. I'll look at it when I do the 25 hour check on it next weekend.

Pud

1330 feet according to my Recreational Flying 5" GPS.... Pud

Pud, The reason I asked is because I kept the standard jets and jet needle that came with all my 582 engines and flying from home here, elevation just a few feet above sea level, my fuel consumption was at best, 12 lts phr to 14 lts phr max, when they were working hard.

Due to your elevation you may use more fuel than 12/14 lts phr and if so, while you remain at your elevation, you should be able to reduce your needl jet and jet needle size and come down to that consumption rate. I wouldn`t come down lower than 12 lts phr minimum.

Here is something that may help, if you need it. http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_tips/bing_carburetors.htm

If you are only getting 6200 rpm and your taco is reading correctly, it could be that your prop is pitched too high, ( Too coarse ), or the diameter is too big.

What type of prop, diameter and pitch are you using?

Frank.

Pud, The reason I asked is because I kept the standard jets and jet needle that came with all my 582 engines and flying from home here, elevation just a few feet above sea level, my fuel consumption was at best, 12 lts phr to 14 lts phr max, when they were working hard.Due to your elevation you may use more fuel than 12/14 lts phr and if so, while you remain at your elevation, you should be able to reduce your needl jet and jet needle size and come down to that consumption rate. I wouldn`t come down lower than 12 lts phr minimum.

Here is something that may help, if you need it. http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_tips/bing_carburetors.htm

If you are only getting 6200 rpm and your taco is reading correctly, it could be that your prop is pitched too high, ( Too coarse ), or the diameter is too big.

What type of prop, diameter and pitch are you using?

Frank.

I suspect I am using close to 15lph Frank but I don't have conclusive proof of that yet. I need a few more hours to arrive at a more accurate figure. If that is the case then I won't bother with fiddling with the jets. I can live with a slightly higher consumption.

I want to check that the carbies are adjusted correctly first before looking at the propeller configuration. This prop and hub came off Steve Vette's T500 582 where I can say with certainty it was running at 6800rpms maximum. It is a Brolga 68" 3 blade running through a 'B' reduction box at 2.62:1. I must confess I do not know the pitch as the pitch blocks do not have it marked in a place you can see, without dismantling the prop I'm not sure.

Thanks for the link, looks like it could be useful.

Pud

Guest davidh10
Yes, the undulating footage is an annoyance but I couldn't expect anything else because I just used some insulation tape to attach a cheap Flip Mino camera to the jury strut. I'll try something different next time - soft foam or some such.I will be interested to see the footage of your aircraft shadow in the circular rainbow, if it turns out for you.

Pud

It is posted.

As you will observe, there's still some vibration at particular engine revs.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in post #360

I said I would post here when I realised a 50 year goal/dream of mine.

Well here it is……

Some of you might recall me posting at some stage of getting the flying bug when I was 10 years old. I came across a Tiger Moth aircraft at the local airstrip paddock in the small country town I grew up in, and dreamed of how good it would be to fly an airplane. It was then I first dreamed about it.

So it came to pass that on 25th March 2012 I did a pre-flight on Thruster 25-0331, loaded up with my mate Poll and roared into a magnificent morning from runway 10 at Wirraway Farm North Gabbin. We did a couple of circuits first then headed for my home town of Koorda, just 11 nm away to the SW. It was a beautiful morning to be flying with the air very smooth so that hands off flying was possible except for a little left aileron to counteract Poll in the right seat! We flew over Poll’s parents old homestead before tracking for Koorda, overflew the airfield at Koorda and continued towards the SW where we did an orbit of a local “good times” spot called Redcliff. Then it was time to return to Koorda where I said to Poll, “I think we’ll try a landing on the Koorda strip”. So I set up for a standard mid crosswind circuit entry for runway 09 and did a 1000’ above ground level circuit owing to the fact a wide circuit was required to avoid flying over the town. Now, I have driven up and down that strip many times in a vehicle trying to get the feel of what it would be like to guide an aircraft to land or take off here, and I have flown RC controlled model airplanes countless times from this strip, but to actually land an aircraft on that airfield as PIC is something else! A culmination of a 50 year journey, that, in the scheme of things is so insignificant that it means nothing to anybody else, but to me, was extremely satisfying. So I just rolled out the landing phase, backtracked and pulled up at the tie down area for a minute or so, then took off for the flight back to Wirraway; an anti-climax you might say – but I wouldn’t!

This dream realised was not something I ever verbalised to anyone I don’t think, it was just something that was always there. Even Poll my flying buddy had no idea. He asked me today what I was on about with my post on the forum mentioning a ’50 year goal’, so I told him. And now I’ve told youJ

Pud

• Like 5

Back in post #360I said I would post here when I realised a 50 year goal/dream of mine.

Pud

Nice! Congratulations on living the dream, Pud.

rgmwa

Thanks rgmwa,I guess we are all living our dreams one way or another.

How are you living your flying dream?

Pud

Me? Used to fly models (control line - couldn't afford R/C in those days). Became a pilot - never thought I would. Now building a plane - never thought I would.

My dream is to fly it over Mum and Dad's place in Portland (Vic). Will have to hurry up though. They're not getting any younger. In fact, Dad flew over to Perth to help me build the wings a few months ago. He's almost as excited about the project as I am, and wants to fly back to Portland with me. He's just turned 93!

rgmwa

Me? Used to fly models (control line - couldn't afford R/C in those days). Became a pilot - never thought I would. Now building a plane - never thought I would.My dream is to fly it over Mum and Dad's place in Portland (Vic). Will have to hurry up though. They're not getting any younger. In fact, Dad flew over to Perth to help me build the wings a few months ago. He's almost as excited about the project as I am, and wants to fly back to Portland with me. He's just turned 93!

rgmwa

See! Everyone has dreams, even your 93 year old dad. I reckon that's awesome.

Pud

Guest davidh10

Great stuff, Pud. It isn't everyone who gets to fulfil their dream. Congratulations. You should feel very chuffed :-)

I don't think I would call flying a dream, for myself. Just something I have had a subdued interest in, since teenage years, when I went for a joy flight. Now, approaching retirement (did I actually say that!), I have also become a pilot and am thoroughly enjoying it. To quote my wife "you're addicted"!

Last week, my wife, who gets quite airsick with only a few bumps, took a couple of airsick pills and flew with me for a 3 hour flight over The Coorong and Murray River mouth. During the eight day Megafauna fly-away, she flew a total of six hours on three separate flights. That has been a big achievement for her and I'm proud that she had the courage to try it again. She has flown with me on about six other occasions, two ending after only 10 to 15 minutes and being quite severely airsick. Her longest flight with me prior to this achievement was about 90 minutes.

I've put a couple of photos up on my Redbubble site. More to come on Flickr soon.

Last week, my wife, who gets quite airsick with only a few bumps, took a couple of airsick pills and flew with me for a 3 hour flight over The Coorong and Murray River mouth. During the eight day Megafauna fly-away, she flew a total of six hours on three separate flights. That has been a big achievement for her and I'm proud that she had the courage to try it again. She has flown with me on about six other occasions, two ending after only 10 to 15 minutes and .

Hi David, tell your wife that I said, "Well done" and to give herself a big pat on the back!

This afternoon I asked Fran (My wife) ...." Fran, you want to come for a little flight with me?" ( Notice I even said, a little flight ).... Her, " No, not realy!"... me, " Why ?"....Her " I don`t feel like it!"...... Standard answer these days. 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

Ah well! went on my own and I didn`t have to make it a little one.

Frank.

Its great news that your wife has persevered to go flying with you David. Congratulations to her.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I reckon it would be the icing on the cake to have my wife sitting alongside me when I'm flying, but it ain't gonna happen:crying:

I hope you had a great time flying in company with your wife David.

I'm off flying on Sunday without Gay, but I'll have company from my ol' mate Poll I'm sure, and hopefully get to take Steve Vette for a flight around our neck of the woods.

Pud

Guest davidh10

Thanks Frank and Pud.

There were a number of people on the trip who also congratulated her on the achievement. As you can gather I seldom have her company when I fly. She is not interested in flying per se, but in what she can see while flying. She has seen the local area, so that's ho, hum, now. I think the sights of The Coorong and the fact that I was flying over interesting territory made a big difference. The other two flights she did with me was from Wentworth to Hay and then Hay back to Yarrawonga. West of Hay is like an inland sea! We joked that we should be wearing life jackets!

A flight she has said she would like to do with me is when we are flying close formation, as she thinks that would be really interesting. We'll probably do that quite soon, as I've reached a stage in my formation flight where that is ok (now over 40 hrs).

I'm trying to entice Gay into the air with the idea we would go and visit friends for a coffee. They live about 1 hour away in the Thruster so it would be a nice little fly I reckon. Of all the tactics I've tried to get her in the air, this one has the most promise I reckon. I'll just keep chipping away......

Pud

Guest davidh10

Reckon you're right, Pud. There has to be something in it for the better half ;-)

This was a local post about the 90 minute flight, with photo of my wife and I, taken by the CFI.

Reckon you're right, Pud. There has to be something in it for the better half ;-)This was a local post about the 90 minute flight, with photo of my wife and I, taken by the CFI.

Great stuff David. That's what I want to be able to report from time to time - nothing spectacular or anything, just flying for fun in company. Thanks for the link.

Pud