How its made, The Maule Stol aircraft

Ultralights

I remember flying one at Parafield Airport several years ago when it was doing demo flights around Australia, I flew left hand seat and on line up for take off asked if I use my normal take off technique

'stick forward, tail up' to which he replied "no, just leave it where it is but watch for tail swing". I don't remember too much about rolling forward, we just lept into the air in the same attitude as on the ground with a rate of climb of 2,000 feet per minute. I could well have been in training to become an astronaught.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Alan.

Leaving the ground in the parked attitude means no margin above stall for a while ( not long) The power does the trick. I could never afford a plane with a 285 HP motor or justify it either. The Maule is a plane that hit the scene with some fanfare, whether it lived up to it I don't know. I don't quite know what it is supposed to do best. Nev

They are nice in real life too Andrew.......David

Aren't they just?!!

I did a few hours in an M5 235 back in the mid-80's and it was a lovely aeroplane. It accelerated very briskly indeed, leapt off the deck, went up at a heck of a climb angle and landed short.

The only downside, I thought, was the use of the wheeled control column instead of a stick.

kaz