Non-Fatal crash in Tumut on Sunday.

Yet another wire strike occurred on Sunday. Thankfully, this time the pilot walked away with nothing more than a scratch on the noggin. I heard about this Monday, and saw a photo of him standing in front of the wreck.

I don't have that photo, but I asked the CFI at Tumut (Peter Wilson) for some snaps and to confirm some details. He sent me the following photos.

He couldn't remember the plane type (nor can I) but it was wooden and homebuilt. What was it Jack?

The wood probably saved him, as it went in wing over wing and absorbed a lot of energy crumpling them.

He missed an approach and tried to go around, but he could only get half power (don't know why). He tried for a paddock (as you will see in the photos - there are heaps to the south of the runway 17). He seems to have picked the wrong one and clipped the power line.

Peter took these photos from his trike a bit later.

[ATTACH]1519[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1520[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1522[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1521[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1523[/ATTACH]

Not the sort of wreck you expect the pilot to be posing for photos in front of. I'm very glad we weren't mourning another loss.

Ross

Edit: Just found this report which confirms it was Tony Urbancik's plane. He is from Canberra and the guys were thinking it was probably his - especially when we saw the rego - VH-URB.

tumutcrash1.jpg.5c23dd4e7b7f2f7789e67a33c2f64abc.jpg

tumutcrash2.jpg.3cce5404585654f2f95b029c233d98f3.jpg

tumutcrash3.jpg.65bcc3b08941d9d6d8cc78f25672e290.jpg

tumutcrash4.jpg.4c96880ea74d9316dc3037fc865c50fe.jpg

tumutcrash5.jpg.cd9142dce83ccefe128d0956b2663715.jpg

How old is he Authur? I talked to him a year or two ago now just before he test flew it, I'd guess at 65?

If you have a close look at the wreck you can see the very distinctive canopy. There are quite a few paddocks to put down round there, looks like it's a swer line that he hit, maybe it was afternoon and he was looking into the sun?

I think he had a 360 in it, not sure if it was an 0 or I, if was an I that would have ruled out carby ice build up on approach.

There aren't many Sorroco's flying in this country, they perform pretty well.

Guest Fred Bear

Lucky to survive a crash like that. He should go out and buy a Lotto ticket instead of posing infront of his a/c.

those photos would make great educational tools in highlighting how difficult it is to see powerlines until its too late, even when the conditions are favourable as they are in the pics, the light behind the pilot and the lines cant be seen until your pretty much on top of them.... can these photos be used and shared to highlight this danger???

those photos would make great educational tools in highlighting how difficult it is to see powerlines until its too late, even when the conditions are favourable as they are in the pics, the light behind the pilot and the lines cant be seen until your pretty much on top of them.... can these photos be used and shared to highlight this danger???

I totally agree, as I'm sure Peter would (he took the photos).

Peter took off on 17 and flew the same path Tony would have on the go-around (only higher), so it gives a great progressive look at the options. Personally I would expect power lines along a road like that - they would almost always be there. The poles are fairly visible too.

In no way do I mean to be critical of Tony - he would have been very busy. I merely offer that opinion for further comment and education. I doubt the sun in the eyes was an issue, as the path is due south and the shadows are almost west and long. It must have been fairly early morning.

As I said, I'm glad he survived and we can learn from this without emotion.

Short version: feel free to use the photos. I have 1600x1200 pixel versions.

Ross

Guest Fred Bear

Hmm, this issue of powerlines has been brought up several times in the past. A debate that will go until the end of the earth I am sure :;)4: Trouble is, the federal govt is willing to do not much about it. You know the slogan, 'Bury powerlines, not pilots'.

sadly i don't think it is economically viable to bury all power lines, the inconvenience to the general populace will be a lot more than the perceived benefits to the small flying community, and with the user pays system in this country, the cost would most likely be burdened upon the already milked dry aviation industry.

therefor the only real way to lower the death toll due to power lines is to educate the pilots the best we can, maybe bring power line awareness into the training syllabus might help? especially when training for forced landings etc, make it part of the emergency landing checks? find a suitable field, and check for the possible location of power lines. eg along roads, between homesteads and roads or tree lines. that type of stuff, aim for the middle of the field to lower the chances of a powerline strike near the fields perimeter... i think you get me drift..

just as the dangers of flying in bad weather and storm fronts are taught..

Guest Fred Bear

In saying all this, powerlines are sometimes in places you would totally not expect them to be. There are some wonderful examples on my folks property.Even professional chopper pilots that have flown there wonder why they have been put in some of the spots.

Guest pelorus32

I remember lining up for maybe my second or third PFL. Put a bit of effort into selecting a really good looking paddock....then the instructor quietly said "what aboout the powerlines?". I was very aware of powerlines, I've been close to the topdressing industry and had close personal experience of wirestrikes. I should have seen the tell-tale poles. I was concentrating too much on the size, orientation, surface and location of the paddock.

That one experience has made a huge change to my thinking. My check now is "where are the wires?" not "are there wires?". What would happen in the heat of the moment though? I'm not sure. I suspect the focus would still be "can I get in there, into wind?"

Regards

Mike

In our Western areas of NSW, powerlines to farm houses probably more often than not do not follow fence lines. They generally take the most economical line to the next delivery point which often is across the middle of a paddock with the power poles spaced further apart than what you are used to in the cities.

Then there are the SWER lines, single wire earth return. They are 20,000 volts and obviously the hardest to see and are very common in the Western grazing areas of the Riverina

At least one glider pilot flying out of Leeton years ago has found one of these and wondered why all the lights went out in the nearby farm house as he landed in a paddock at last light.:confused:

Guest TOSGcentral

A bit of different spin on this which may be of interest to some - although it only affects airfields/airstrips rather than general paddocks.

Back in 1981 when the Maroochy Gliding Club were kicked off Maroochy airport to make way for the jets, we built a small airstrip in the hills at Belli Park from scratch.

We had substantial powerlines on the most commonly used approach but for additional safety (and the continuing ambience of the local community who like the lights to keep going on) we enquired if the lines could be marked across the approach.

The reply from the electicity people was prompt but a bit double edged.

Certainly they would mark the lines for us BUT if they were so marked and we hit them then we would be up for every last cent to repair them!

The electicity bods are actually very pro about wire strikes. Somewhat later I was exploring operating amphibians out of Watts Bridge on the large adjacent lakes. That was defeated by a nervous Water Board who were concerned about consequential liability.

But part of the process was to establish lwhere local power lines were located across either the lakes or the rivers. Within just three days I got an excellent series of maps back from the power guys showing everything I wanted and an encouraging letter wishing the venture well.

There was also a comment that they were sick to death of pelicans flying through the wires and welcomed users who could actually write letters and use maps! :big_grin: :big_grin:

Tony