GPS comparison: GPS296 vs. EKP IV

Guest Rocko

Guest Rocko

Hi Folks

Decided to go the plunge and buy a higher end GPS. However, it's a big decision, and just reading the specs sheets doesn't really give you much of a comparison.

These two seem to be the choice for me, so who's used them?

How user friendly are they? Especially while flying

What accessories do you need to buy as extras?

How's the basic maps and terrain maps go?

How good are their airport ID, for use in OZ, and how easy is it to add additional airports?

In all, which is the best? ;)

Who can advise?

Thanks

Scott

Guest Rocko

Oh, and one more thing ;)

How annoying is it to fly with something like the EKP strapped to a leg, assuming you're using dual sticks between the legs?

Hi Rocko

I have the Avmap and with it being new I can't really say much as yet other then I went through them all and found the Avmap with the new software and terrain awareness and the biggest screen was the best. I have done a trip and back again with it strapped to my leg and found no problem in a CT - it didn't get in the way at all. Having said this though it became panel mounted this week.

I can't comment on anything but the Garmin, I've used Garmins right through from Pilot III's, 196 and 296. I like the screen on the 296 but the colour isn't as good as greyscale in bright sunlight. I've found the terrain warning to be useless, annoying the **** out of you most of the time and wasting a quarter of the screen. Sometimes you can be below the terrain and it won't show anything, I spose it depends on the database it has. I disable the function when I turn it on as it's default is on and you can't change it. If your worried about terrain look out the window.

Garmin 296

Garmin 296 installation.

Sir

I have spent many hours with this product, on certain frequencies they emmit a rf "interference" 124,8 mhz / 129,00mhz and others. This will guarantee to upset your radio if its an Icom hand held; namely ICA4 and ICA 6 /24 series. ICA 200 is fine. Please take my advice and place the unit you intend to purchase switched on and in a cockpit that you will use it in, with the radio you intend to use, then check the frequencies you use most..it will most definitely give interference and as yet not found a fix to our rig. Other products I have no experience with. It even interferes with Garmins own radio products as I witnessed in a JK 05 a few weeks back. We believe it is the base frequency spectrum of the radio and will require a software change but i will advise the forum when I have found it out and what to program...The agents here said "they had heard something !!"

Otherwise its a good piece of kit..nice map features for road.

Cheers Paul