Hours in CASA reg'd aircraft - how useful are they with RAA

G'day Guys,

First off, thank's for having me! I wasn't aware of this forum and am glad to have found it!

To cut a long story short - I have a total of 36.6 hours, 1.7 hours of this being Solo. These hours were gained in a mixture of Cessna 150's, 152's & 172's while working towards a PPL/CPL... of which I clearly fell short of. I have no RAA hours what so ever.

The problem & the question - these hours were gained some 10 years ago. How useful are these hours in contributing towards the minimum requirements for gaining an RAA Pilot Certificate? From what I understand; unless I had gained a PPL (or hold a current GFPT), these hours are useless. Obviously, the 36 odd hours will be of personal gain, but regarding policy, I'm assuming they mean a big fat zero towards the 15 (dual) + 5(solo) hour minimum??

Thanks,

Steve.

PS: How would a 6ft 2in, 98kg fella go in a Texan or CT-2K? Is it worthwhile me still looking at RAA?

Welcome aboard wesky, to the forum and to RA in general. Discuss with your CFI but there is recognition for prior training and having trained for more than the min 20 hours, you could in theory do the conversion and be signed out with a certificate. Edit, I see you're short solo hours, but yes your previous hours do apply. I also had a big gap, 14 years in my case and after a refresher on the whole syllabus and focussing on RA operations, was signed out in around 10 hours.

They are NOT useless at all. IF you went out and flew like an ace and covered all the requirements, (Competency based assessment) under the minimum hours, your GA hours would count to get you to the required hours.. This is a round about way of saying that ALL of your GA hours can be counted. Very few do the RAAus certificate in the minimum hours anyhow and the navigation part is pretty specific in it's own right. Nev

Thank you to all for the prompt responses! I'm very excited to hear that my hours will count towards something, but clearly understand that it's no easy ride regardless of the fact that I already have 35 odd Dual up my sleeve. I best get my backside into gear and start plugging away at getting back in the air! I'm very excited about what RAA are doing now days, I can't wait to be a part of it.

Thanks again!

Steve.

G'day Guys,PS: How would a 6ft 2in, 98kg fella go in a Texan or CT-2K? Is it worthwhile me still looking at RAA?

My son in law is 6ft 4in and 110kg and fits into the Texan just fine

Yeah Bryon, these blokes that go and marry our daughters are all big bastards these days aren't they.... sorry , off topic! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gifDavid

Yeah, but a quick kick to the goolies brings em down a size or two (not by me, but by the daughter)

Guys,

Sorry to bring up an old thread - just chasing some further info and didn't want to bombard the board with 40 bajillion threads.

In regards to my existing hours - I only ever got as far as BAK (I don't and have never held a PPL) - regardless of this, do my existing hours definitely still count towards the RAA Pilot Cert? The syllabus is mighty confusing when you read it too much haha.

I'm also in the process of buying the theory books for the certificate. I'm just after some guidance on what I need (I'm doing my training in Texan and also want the XC and Pax endorsements). Are you able to confirm that these are all of the books I need:

http://www.budgetpilotsupplies.com.au/bak-human-performance-limitations-p-199.html

http://www.budgetpilotsupplies.com.au/raaus-gtm-cross-country-endorsement-p-201.html

http://www.budgetpilotsupplies.com.au/flight-radio-for-pilots-p-196.html

Again sorry to be a pain and thanks for helping out!

Steve.

Guys,Sorry to bring up an old thread - just chasing some further info and didn't want to bombard the board with 40 bajillion threads.

In regards to my existing hours - I only ever got as far as BAK (I don't and have never held a PPL) - regardless of this, do my existing hours definitely still count towards the RAA Pilot Cert? The syllabus is mighty confusing when you read it too much haha.

I'm also in the process of buying the theory books for the certificate. I'm just after some guidance on what I need (I'm doing my training in Texan and also want the XC and Pax endorsements). Are you able to confirm that these are all of the books I need:

http://www.budgetpilotsupplies.com.au/bak-human-performance-limitations-p-199.html

http://www.budgetpilotsupplies.com.au/raaus-gtm-cross-country-endorsement-p-201.html

http://www.budgetpilotsupplies.com.au/flight-radio-for-pilots-p-196.html

Again sorry to be a pain and thanks for helping out!

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I used the DH Ground Theory with HF book included for my Pilots Cert about a year ago and from my experience it was very thorough and prepared me well for the exams. It includes a chapter on Radio usage etc. and practice tests for the Radio Endorsement test (if i recall correctly, you need to have that passed before a first area solo?).

So, I don't think the 'Radio for pilots' one is necessary. Anyone else?

It's exciting getting into it after waiting sooo long isn't it!!

Chris

Cheers Chris!

I'll have to check it out. Back in the day, when doing my (non existent) CPL lol, I think I had the old Bob Tait (?) books. No idea where they are now haha. Regardless, I just want to ensure I have all of the theory available to me.

It's really exciting!

Thanks!

Great to have you on site Wesky- prior hrs or not. 5 hrs conversion minimum; and you and a good instructor will know within the hour how much you've retained and go from there. You represent the growing trend of returning/ converting pilot's coming to RA Aus- they'll soon have to call it "Returning to Aviation Aus". Good primacy will be your friend- bad primacy wil need to be undone, everyone is different. We have Teccies and a CT - you'll love both. Welcome back

Cheers Ballpoint! I'm extremely excited! I have 3 weeks off of work in September so I plan on making the training a fulltime affair - which will work in my favour, I've been told.

I purchased my books today - decided to go with GA BAK (for later conversion) and the DH - RAA XC & HPL books. Also got myself a David Clarke H10-13.4!

Now I just have to be patient and wait until September haha It's killing me!

Thanks again, Guys!