Keeping Current - with the Regs

One of my biggest problems... is keeping or remembering the fiddly rules and regs, and or where they are found etc...

The flying part is easy for me, it's remembering and knowing all the paperwork stuff that's just... arrgh!! 078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif

I went through a bit of stuff the other day, some of it is pretty simple, but I thought I will share my list with you. And maybe you guys could add more if you think of any.

This list is GA orienteered, but it's valid for all of us in most things.

Requirements for PPL - CAR 5.77(1)

You may fly as a PPL provided that - CAR 5.79(1); CAO 40.1.0.1.3; CAR 5.01(2)

You must not fly unless.... CAR 5.04; 5.81; 5.82; CAO 40.0.3.1; 40.0.3.2

Private flight - CAR part 1 page 30 (7) (d) (i) to (viii); CAR 206

Medical reporting - CASR 67.205

Documents to be carried in flight - CAR 139

Nav requirements under VFR - AIP ENR 1.1 para 19.2.1 a and b; c, d, e and f - using radio aids - AIP ENR 1.1 para 19.4.6

Cruising levels CAR 173 - AIP ENR page 1.7-9 & 10

Carriage of firearms CAR 143

Minimum instruments listed in CAO 20.18 Appendix 1

Flights over water - CAR 258, AIP ENR 1.1 para 76

Providing for Alternate aerodromes - CAR 239, CAR 257; AIP ENR 1.1 para 73.1 to 73.2

Passenger briefing - CAO 20.11.14.1 <

Carriage of animals - CAR 256a

Land before Last light - CAR 172, AIP ENR 1.2

Land before Last light - CAR 172, AIP ENR 1.2

Tomo, it is only a handful of us here who would bother to read the regs and argue about what they mean.Land before last light? Where does that come from? Consider that

flight time means:(a) in the case of a heavier‑than‑air aircraft — the total time from the moment at which the aircraft first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking‑off until the moment at which it comes to rest after landing;

so unless you have a Night VFR rating etc per CAR 174 it seems to me that you've gotta be parked by the end of daylight.That AIP reference talks about departing wrt planned ETA, nothing about actual landing time. Interesting that it states that you must not depart (i.e. start to taxi) after last light but there is that other rule about having an ETA 10 minutes before last light.

Most people will get by quite happily with the VFG.

Guest davidh10

I must admit to not having a lot of interest in the section and para of anything, unless I want to reference it here in a discussion, so content myself with re-reading the VFRG and RAA Ops Manual every now and then to refresh. After the recent changes I did an item by item comparison of the old for new CAOs relevant to me to better understand the changes. Just for interest I've dug into quite a lot of the Acts and Regulations, simply to gain a better understanding, but I don't keep references to where I have found something.

I had to ask my CFI about an abbreviation in one of the Notams from another AD the other day and he has now told me where to find the bible of abbreviations.... Chapter 10 of the aerodrome standards, so I'll go and fetch that and store it on my phone.

Just for interest, did you recognise the abbreviation "MAE" meaning men and equipment.

it's just NOT user orientated. We need plain language rules not the acts or regs. (unless you are an aviation lawyer) The are just too unclear to operate by. If you make enquiries of the experts or CASA, you will get different answers all the time. Couple this with a system of "strict liability" and only a fool or an addict or someone who is trying to make a living in aviation would be there. I used to think it was only me, but everyone I know in aviation thinks the same. It will get safer. Nobody will be doing it.

Anyhow, the way I have coped (sort of) with this Tomo, is to summarise all the relevent sections ( the ones that your operation is concerned with), and use the summary as a "swot" sheet. Have explanations where necessary. You have to constantly update it because it has to be right. Try to make it contain all the information that you could reasonably need if you were going to get a full check ride the next day.. Nev

• Like 1

Thanks guys, yeah I understand what you're all saying, it's just plain (!!) painful sometimes/all the time.

I like what Nev said about the 'swot' sheet thing, I guess that's what I've tried to do above to a point, at least I can know where to look for a certain thing -until they change it of course!! It's mainly for the check ride things that I'm thinking of, which I'm having a bit of at the moment doing my PPL and onwards.

And DJ 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif