Gyro trip Mittagong to the Kimberleys

Boaty

Planning a trip with a couple of gyrocopters from Mittagong to Kununurra. Broad plan over about 7 days is Griffith, Arkaroola, Lake Eyre, William Creek, Curtin Springs, Uluru, The Olgas, Kings Canyon, Kings Creek Station, Tanami Track, Wolfe Creek Crater, Halls creek, Bungle Bungles, Kununurra. Love to hear any suggestions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. The plan at the moment is Griffith, Ivanhoe, Menindee, Broken Hill, Arkaroola. very open to other suggestions though. :)

Sounds like a brilliant trip. I would be very interested in your route/refueling stops. Will you have ground support or go it Gyro's only. This will be one for the bucket list.

What is the range of your Gyro?

Cheers

Maynard

No ground support but plenty of spare fuel in the back seat and have identified all the necessary fuel stops. Range should be about 200 nm at a conservative 55kts gnd speed but will have more than double that with spare fuel. Will probably cruise at 70-75. Will stop often to top fuel up and stretch the legs.

Day 1

Albion Park

Mittagong

Crookwell

Harden

Temora

Griffith

Day 2

Griffith

Ivanhoe

Menindee

Broken Hill

Arkaroola

Day 3

Arkaroola

Marree

Lake Eyre

William Creek

Day 4

William Creek

Cadney Homestead

Marla

Kenmore Park

Curtin Springs

Day 5

Curtin Springs

Ayers Rock

The Olgas

Kings Canyon

Kings Creek Station

Day 6

Kings Creek Station

Haasts Bluff

Papunya

Yuendumu

Chilla Well

Tanami / Mongrel Downs

Wilsons Camp

Coyote Gold Mine

Wolfe Creek Crater

Halls Creek

Day 7

Halls Creek

Bellburn (Bungle Bungles)

Kununurra

Hi Boaty,

I recommend that you build some slack into your schedule for bad weather no-fly days. I did a 2 week trip with 2 other trikes last year with 2 days allowed for weather and we used them both.

We've got 4 days up our sleeve at the other end. If we don't use them up on the way over we'll do some day trips from Kununurra to El Questro, Ord River, Cape Dommett, etc. Haven't got anything planned for the return trip yet but would like to take a different route home. Will probably leave the machines in Kununurra for a couple of months.

Do You Know Ol Mate at Kununarra? Could probably find it somewhere, he came through Jamestown on his way from Murray Bridge to Kununarra or maybe it was Catherine, somewhere up there ! Was a bit cold down south for him and he couldn't write proply hope he thawed out as he got furture north!

Have a couple of mates SW of The Hill @ Jamestown who may be interested in joining in!

Will you need Mogas at Temora ? May be able to assist!

There are a few gyro guys from Kununurra (and Murray Bridge) but not sure who has done that trip. Thanks for the offer on the Mogas. Probably just pick up some Avgas at Temora. Happy to have some others along for the trip so if you know anyone that's interested shoot me a message.

Thanks for the details Boaty. Now, where's the map, ruler, ?55kts groundspeed huh, (thinks................) Damn, the planning for trip to Broken hill, and the distance, just got longer!!

Please write the trip up for this site (and photos?) when you return.

Cheers

Maynard

• 5 weeks later...

Just back from the west. The trip went incredibly well apart from a bit of weather delay early and some prop damage which saw us spend the night in a mining camp. Still made it on schedule though. Will head back over in a couple of months to collect the gyros for a return trip via a different route. Highly recommend it to anyone that has a spare week or two and Kununurra itself is a wonderful place to fly around. Approximately 2200 nm at average of ground speed of just over 60kts.

Day 1

Albion Park

Mittagong

Crookwell

Temora

Griffith

Day 2

Griffith

Hillston

Ivanhoe

Menindee

Broken Hill

Day 3

Broken Hill

Arkaroola

Marree

Lake Eyre

William Creek

Day 4

William Creek

Cadney Homestead

Curtin Springs

Day 5

Curtin Springs

Ayers Rock

The Olgas

Kings Canyon

Kings Creek Station

Day 6

Kings Creek Station

Yuendumu

Coyote Gold Mine

Day 7

Coyote Gold Mine

Wolfe Creek Crater

Halls Creek

Kununurra

• 1 month later...

Heading over to Kununurra tommorrow for the return trip. Kununurra, Bungles, Nicholson Station, Coyote Gold Mine, Yuendumu, King Creek Station, Kalgera Roadhouse, Oodnadatta, Lake Eyre, William Creek, Maree. Arkaroola, Broken Hill, Griffith, Temora, Mittagong .. plus a few more stops along the way.

Boaty, I would be very interested in any tips/planning/ problems etc you encountered on the trip back. Looking at a couple of trips out west and have not done it before. Very interested in your stops re fuel, etc. Maybe catch up at either mittagong or Albion park when you return.

Have a good trip

Maynard

Boaty, I would be very interested in any tips/planning/ problems etc you encountered on the trip back. Looking at a couple of trips out west and have not done it before. Very interested in your stops re fuel, etc. Maybe catch up at either mittagong or Albion park when you return.Have a good trip

Maynard

Hi Maynard, Happy to help. It takes a bit of planning which is part of the fun but really very straight forward and loads of fun.