Whats in your flight bag?

I thought I would pose a question to everyone out there not just us students, 'What is in your flight bag?' what do you take with you for just a day in circuits, a day out within 50nm, and a day over the horizon (or several!)

I'll start the ball rolling

1. My Trusty flight bag (Jeppensen Aviator Bag, thanks to my loving wife)

2. Torch

3. ERSA

4. All My Maps and a Map Holder, which in turn protects my Log book (VNC,VTC etc PCA, I was doing a theroy course and I though even though I am not near this stage yet, keeping at least one current map handy doesnt hurt, WAC's etc etc)

5. Various Pens and Pencils and other stationary..

6. Note Books

7. My headset

8. My Icom Handheld

9. Whatever Text Book I am currently reading

10. Ipad and Charger

11. E6B and Nav Equipment (again for a training course I completed earlier this year)

12. Clipboard

13. POH for my Tecnam

14. Water bottle and snack food hidden away...

15. My license Holder (GA and RA)

16. Some airsick Bags, never know.

17. Fuel Sampler

red

also:

EPIRB, Wizwheel/wind calculator, folding map table, protractor, pencils, eraser, blank pages, sleeping bag, Ian's 1.8kg microtent, micromattress, iPhone earbuds & 12v charger, woollen jumper, camera, Mr. Funnel, wooden fuel dipstick, tied-down kit, 100mph tape, tools, spare batteries, fuses, nut & bolts...

Went to a CASA safety seminar 2 weeks ago at Archerfield and was told by the facilitator from CASA that for private pilot operations, including RA, the use of an iPad as an electronic flight bag is approved so long as all the data you need such as charts, flight plan and weather (NAIPS), ERSA, etc. are saved on the iPad (i.e. not reliant on an internet conection). OzRunways was mentioned as a particularly good app for this (he did caution that the GPS/moving map was not to be used as a PFD for in flight navigation). He suggested this was especially good news for pilots of small sports aircraft due to limited space.

So going down this route may save a bit of space in the flight bag for a few more Mars bars!

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Went to a CASA safety seminar 2 weeks ago at Archerfield and was told by the facilitator from CASA that for private pilot operations, including RA, the use of an iPad as an electronic flight bag is approved so long as all the data you need such as charts, flight plan and weather (NAIPS), ERSA, etc. are saved on the iPad (i.e. not reliant on an internet conection). OzRunways was mentioned as a particularly good app for this (he did caution that the GPS/moving map was not to be used as a PFD for in flight navigation). He suggested this was especially good news for pilots of small sports aircraft due to limited space.

Funny how that for VFR flying they will allow an Ipad as the primary means for carrying navigational charts, yet won't let IFR pilots use them as a back up!052_no_way.gif.ab8ffebe253e71283aa356aade003836.gif

You will find clues to what CASA allows (or will allow) and why in the new draft Part 91 rules. I've been told that there will be a CAAP on this subject soon so all will be revealed.

I plug my iPhone into the aeroplane power and also have a back-up battery for it. My main risk is dropping it and not being able to reach it.

1. Headset

2. Small first aid kit

3. My watch

4. Sunnies

5. Bucket load of pens/penicls/erasers and highlighters.

6. Torch

7. ERSA

8. All maps (VNC, VTC, WAC, ERC Low)

9. Spare flight plan forms/nav logs.

10. Fuel tester

11. GPS

12. ASIC

13. Nav ruler

14. Jeppesen CR2

15. Protractor

16. Licence holder

17. Logbook