RAAus instructor rating with a PPL

Hi All,

Just after some clarification on my understanding of the requirements for an instructor rating.

I understand I need either 75 hours PIC in an RAAus aircraft OR 100 hours aeronautical experience with at least 25 hours in an RAAus aircraft PIC.

What I have is a PPL but I don't have my log book (long story!) and my PPL is restricted ie I never did my navs. So I can claim the min req to get a PPLR which is 33 hours. I also have about 70 hours total in RAA with about 40 of those PIC.

Do I have enough to satisfy the flying experience part of the req? I know I need to do at least 20 hours flying instruction and 30 hours ground instruction.

Thanks in advance.

Howdy thirsty. How many total hours do you have?

The only requirement regarding a PPL is that you pass the PPL cyber exam (or equivalent) before being assessed for the senior instructor rating.

If you have 100 hrs total, and 25 hrs RAA pic, and a nav endorsement RAA, then your good to go..( I think)

Hi Merv,

I have about 70 hours on my PPL and 70 on my RAA cert. My problem is I don't have my PPL logbok so all I can prove is that I have done the min req to get the PPL.

So, I have a total of just over 100 hours total aeronautical experience and of those about 35 PIC in RAA.

My reading is that I have met the min requirements but I was just checking here because instructors where I fly interpret that section differently.

yea ok. You need to get a statutory decleration and sign it to the effect of " lost logbooks, last known hours were blah blah" get it signed by a JP or similar, and stick it in your new log book.

Also, write an email to the ops manager, quote your hours and ask his advice on exactly how the rules relate to your situation. Back it up with a phone call if you like, but if its not written, it was never said :)

Cheers and good luck

I have a current student with the same problem. He went to solo with about 20 hrs GA - but that was 10 yrs ago. He's since lost his logbook.

He has been able to trace his former instructor through the flight school, and will soon have a 'paste in' statement of his known dual, and estimated solo, hours GA. This we'll paste into the 'past experience' section at the front of his logbook, and this will complement his current RAAus time.

You can get lucky! happy days,

Sorry for going a little off topic, but a quick question regard restricted PPLs. Are they still valid? Can you still fly on them? (if it was issued when they were around)

-Andrew

No idea - I would say yes but that's just a wild guess. If you have one it probably means you haven't flown for a long while which means you'd need to get checked out but it's still a licence right?

Sorry for going a little off topic, but a quick question regard restricted PPLs. Are they still valid? Can you still fly on them? (if it was issued when they were around)-Andrew

yes, I know a couple of people who have been happily flying on a RPPL for many years.Note added: just local flights, mainly aerobatics.

And perhaps, flying around Aus several times in the meantime? Who's going to ask to see either your licence or logbook if you stay clear of major airports?

happy days,

and the difference is....

GFPT is a student so needs to be signed out by an instructor and has limitations on number of hours and calendar time between dual checks etc. RPPL is a PPL but limited to distance from the airport.

Kinda sucks that in a few months I'll have 100+hrs and still can't apply for my PPL due to age restrictions :( Was there a 17 year old minimum for the PPL® or was it 16 like the GFPT?

-Andrew

Guest Howard Hughes

I hold an ATPL and have several thousand hours, but only 1 hour in an RAA aircraft. I have never instructed in GA, although I do have several hundred hours as a Traning Captain with a regional airline. What would I have to do to become an RAA Instructor? Would anyone be intrested in having me help out?

Cheers,

HH.

I hold an ATPL and have several thousand hours, but only 1 hour in an RAA aircraft. I have never instructed in GA, although I do have several hundred hours as a Traning Captain with a regional airline. What would I have to do to become an RAA Instructor? Would anyone be intrested in having me help out?Cheers,

HH.

Hi Howard (with a name like that You were always destined to be a Aviator hey hey). Im not a instructor but the company I hire from have instructors similar to Your experience.The CFI was a Airline Pilot, he still works for Virgin as a Trainer/instructor on the Simulator at Brissy.Another SI holds a CPL.Anyway They both had to do the 5 hour conversion from GA to RAA. Im not sure how the CFI when about becoming a Instructor as it happened before I started flying there.But the SI had to do the 25 hour instructors rating course and then they both had to get the instructor experience as per the RAA Ops manual to get upgraded from junior instructor to senior instructor etc .As I said before Im not a instructor but I hope this helps you. Cheers

Guest Howard Hughes

Thanks for the info Dazza, I did expect that first gaining an RAA licence would be a good place to start!

PS: HH is not my real name, but my 'non de plume' for all the places that I frequent on the internet, as he was my boyhood hero . I have since come to realise that there is a local RAA identity of the same name, if he would like my moniker on this site, he is of course most welcome to have it.

Thanks for the info Dazza, I did expect that first gaining an RAA licence would be a good place to start!PS: HH is not my real name, but my 'non de plume' for all the places that I frequent on the internet, as he was my boyhood hero . I have since come to realise that there is a local RAA identity of the same name, if he would like my moniker on this site, he is of course most welcome to have it.

Dont let your HH name get in the way.LOL.My real name is Daryl Pilbeam BTW.Glad to have been of help.

Guest Howard Hughes

What days are you there Merv?

Silly question: When I get an RAA licence will they sign me off for pax/xc/radio etc... based on my current CASA licence? Or will I need to do those separately?

HH - once you get your RAA cert you'll need 25 hours PIC time (RAA time that is) as well as the 20 hours min instructor rating dual time to get your instructor rating. You'll also need to complete the min 30 hours ground training course.

I'm going thru the process now and it's heaps of fun!