Passengers warned of lithium battery safety risk

Admin

Thanks, Ian.

I got that bulletin too.

It's intriguing that such a small, commonly available device could be so dangerous. Have to agree with the steps though. In a similar vein, I never leave any battery chargers running if I'm not going to be at home. The potential for disaster is just too great. Remember the poor fella with the Dell laptop?

Guest davidh10

Interesting. I am surprised that they have not also called up "LiPo" batteries (Lithium Polymer) as used in R/C Models these days. The safety instructions for them are literally scary. Never leave them alone when being charged. Place on a non-flamable surface. Watch the temperature. Don't over charge or allow to drop below a specific discharge voltage, or they are likey to go up like an incendury when next charged.

Interesting. I am surprised that they have not also called up "LiPo" batteries (Lithium Polymer) as used in R/C Models these days. The safety instructions for them are literally scary. Never leave them alone when being charged. Place on a non-flamable surface. Watch the temperature. Don't over charge or allow to drop below a specific discharge voltage, or they are likey to go up like an incendury when next charged.

(Lipo) is still a lithium cell and the same rules would apply. lipos are a completly safe pack tho the only reasons they will catch fire is

1. the pack is damaged in some way (ie punctured and that is ver very hard to do )

2 its being charged past the recemoned C rating

so this kind of stuff wouldnt normaly take place on a aircraft any ways

also all new mobile phones have lithium packs....

just my 2c