Understanding Notams

Most government documents are easy to understand....

They are devised by a politician (speak lots, but say nothing)

written by a beaurocrat (use twenty words to say what can be said in two)

and approved by a solicitor (confuse, divert and obfuscate) 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif064_contract.gif.3261f552b39a970d49a85d67cbf634f0.gif064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

wat bit are u worried about p??

Cheers CFICare

Specifically the time/date eg: FROM 08 012028 TO 08 162200 EST

But when I browse through other NOTAMS there are plenty of abreviations that mean nothing to me so I was hoping to find a website or publication that would explain it but I haven't found anything so far. Being a Student Pilot I want to make sure my knowledge is as good as I can make it.

Hi Puddles

Check out the casa VFG .http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90008

You will find many abbreviations and useful operational meteorology stuff in it.

As far as your time/date group is concerned, many times you'll have a six figure group, ie from: day(01), hour(20),minute(28). In this example the month (08) is also given. Mostly the times will be given in UTC but this one EST time is given. The bob tait book (PPL) also has a good section on met stuff.

Pretty important to decipher forecasts and have a good grasp on this so keep practicing. I found it useful to create a login on the airservices australia website, and use this to get location briefings. Every day print out a location briefing for your area and aerodromes (the crappier the weather the better) and practise deciphering.

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

The VFR Guide mentioned above and also the Aviation Weather section at the Weather Bureau are good for the weather briefings, but for NOTAM abbreviations, you can't go past the CASR Part 139 "Manual of Standards - Aerodromes", Chapter 10, which talks about issuing NOTAMS and provides a full listing of the abbreviations to be used.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91019

You should be able to get it through this link, but they keep moving things around, so I don't know the exact link from which I downloaded it.

Neville

Thanks for the interpretation, that helps. I don't have Bob Tait but I do have Jim Davis and can't find anything in there. I tried the link you sent but got lost once I went there :-)

David

Same link as Neville sent but the CASR Part 39 Chapter 10 was the extra step I needed. All the info I am after is there

I appreciate that you both spent the time replying, I believe I don't need this onfo for my BAK but I do need it for my own benefit

Cheers

Puddles_7

Alan

Sorry, my typo... go by Davids description "CASR Part 139 "Manual of Standards - Aerodromes", Chapter 10. It appears on the link as a pdf called "MOS Part 139 Draft".

Puddles_7

AlanSorry, my typo... go by Davids description "CASR Part 139 "Manual of Standards - Aerodromes", Chapter 10. It appears on the link as a pdf called "MOS Part 139 Draft".

Puddles_7

Try CASR Part 139 "Manual of Standards - Aerodromes", Chapter 10.5.2 039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif

Words and Phrases.doc

Words and Phrases.doc

Words and Phrases.doc

• 2 weeks later...