A highly successful training session

I decided to reactivate my GA PPL since it's easier for me to do that at Camden than it is to get an RAA licence there, so I lined things up with a training organisation there.

What I wanted to do was go through all the basic flight manoeuvres from S&L, through stalls and steep turns to circuit work. But since I wanted to review the actions, I didn't want to have the pressure of actually flying the plane during the revision. So today, I went out to the plane with an instructor and went through all the exercises whilst firmly on the ground.

I found that I was able to stop and discuss everything with the instructor as we sat on the ground. Because we were not flying, I was able to give all my attention to what he was saying, and had time to take in what he said, consider it, then pose the "what ifs". I really got a lot out of the session - probably more than any in flight session I have ever had before.

We simulated every manoeuvre I wanted to do, and even shot some imaginary still air and cross wind circuits. At the end of the session, the instructor indicated that he believed I was OK with all my airwork, but would like to have a session of landings to see how I handled them.

I would strongly recommend anyone to try this method of training. Go out and sit in your trainer and imagine that you are flying the sequences you are being taught. (If you like, you can even make plane noises while you are doing it.) Although you can't log this time, it will be a great help in reinforcing in your mind and body all the actions you need to make during a flight.

Old Man Emu

• Like 3

The beauty of this technique is that all the instruction is done without the distraction of the actual flying. The student can give full attention to the task to be learned and since headsets don't have to be worn, verbal communication is so much better.

I've had blackboard briefings, read books and magazines etc, but I found that using this technique was so much better. Apart from learning the main task, sitting in the cockpit environment also allowed me tofamiliarise myself with the location and feel of all the instruments and controls.

As an instructor, you must remember that the student is a visitor to your "office". S/he is invading YOUR space, and that adds to the tension felt by the student. I reckon that you could reduce the amount of airsickness, too because the student, who is entering unfamiliar territory in the air, will have built up a their sense of security before getting into the air.

OME

Role play has a great part to play in successful training for everything. Golfers call it visualisation, Footballers call it "A Play", Actors call it rehearsal, fortunatley only doctors and lawyers call it practice when its the real thing.

It's the point where the theory and the practical align and merge and become a skill that can then be reinforced by practice. This is where the light bulb truely switches on! :idea2:092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif:idea2:

Peter

I just had to put up with the smell of Jet A-1 and Turkish bread, if you get my drift. Mind you, it was hard to get the instructor to stop making "whoosh" airplane noises and keep to "putta-putta"prop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif

OME