Drifter owners

skyfox1

Hi could someone please tell me what are the best method of attaching rego numbers to sail cloth

currently l am using the vinyl stick ons from my local sign writter l am having to restick them on after each flight is there some better system.

thanks Geoff.

Guest Maj Millard

Skyfox1, I am familiar with that problem. Your best bet is to purchase your numbers from a sail maker or marine shop. They are designed to stick well to dacron...................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

G`Day Geof, I`ve had to put rego numbers on Dacron ( Sail Cloth ) several times over the years and I`ve never used stick on numbers for the simple reason that they might not stay on!........I`ve always painted them on, using screen printers ink and/or Craft paint!

If you prefer the stick on numbers, mark the outline of the numbers on the material, then clean the area where the numbers will stick,with a clean cloth,using either paint thinners, acetone or similar fluid!...The solvent should clean off the waxy finish and allow the numbers to stick better!....No gurantee they will stay there!!!!!

Frank.

Ps, If you choose to paint the numbers on, clean the area to be painted with solvent! Paint will stay on!!!!

Hi could someone please tell me what are the best method of attaching rego numbers to sail clothcurrently l am using the vinyl stick ons from my local sign writter l am having to restick them on after each flight is there some better system.

thanks Geoff.

Hi Geoff, I got my numbers for my thruster from Di at Punkin Head Airsports and they haven't budged in the five years

they have been on. Give her a ring on 0429938426. Cheers Steve.

Hi Geoff, I got my numbers for my thruster from Di at Punkin Head Airsports and they haven't budged in the five yearsthey have been on. Give her a ring on 0429938426. Cheers Steve.

Meddo, Is it Dacron and did you clean with solvent before sticking the numbers on?......Just interested!!!

Frank.

• Agree 1

David, UV protectant is not a problem if the area where adhesive or ink is to be applied, is cleaned well with solvent!.... I`ve done it many times!!!

I`m not sure how Textas would go, never tried it but I would assume that if the ink is permanent ink, then as long as it holds to the fabric it should be ok!....If or when it fades,you would just go over it again!!!!

Frank.

I`m not sure how Textas would go, never tried it but I would assume that if the ink is permanent ink, then as long as it holds to the fabric it should be ok!....If or when it fades,you would just go over it again!!!!Frank.

I wonder what the long term effects of the solvent on Dacron is? Would Dacron deteriorate similar to the effects sunlight has, and if so, how long would this take. I got my numbers from Wayne Fisher and they are the typical 'stickyback' fabric used by sailmakers to do small repairs. Not sure how long they will last as the aircraft hasn't flown yet!

Pud

I wonder what the long term effects of the solvent on Dacron is? Pud

Pud, How long is long term?

I`ve never had a problem and this is based on my experience, not a scientific fact!!!

Frank.

Pud, How long is long term?I`ve never had a problem and this is based on my experience, not a scientific fact!!!

Frank.

Sounds good enough to me Farri. Your experience means it will last for decades and decades eh?006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Pud

Your experience means it will last for decades and decades eh?:laugh:Pud

Pud, If you or anybody else can get decades and decades out of a set of Dacron skins, Please,045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif let me know, hey!!!!020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Frank.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Hi Frank l will try your way l will trace around my numbers then clean them with thinners and paint them on .

Will my neck still be on after painting them upside down.

cheers Geoff.

ps .what is the most time that you have had out of a set of wing skins.

Hi Pud have you got yours off the ground yet.cheers Geoff.

Nup, still a few niggling things but I'm hoping this weekend, we'll see.

Just remembered that the numbers I got from Wayne Fisher were in black dacron, and I painted the tail numbers with a spray can of enamel paint. Seems to have worked alright but of course, time will tell.....

Pud

Hi Frank l will try your way l will trace around my numbers then clean them with thinners and paint them on .Will my neck still be on after painting them upside down.

cheers Geoff.

ps .what is the most time that you have had out of a set of wing skins.

Geof, Unfortunately painting numbers on with the wing attached to the AC is a pain in the neck, literally!....I make my own skins and paint the numbers on after I`ve assembled the wing, but before I attach it to the aircraft,this way the fabric is tight and I`m not breaking my neck, having to looking up!....It seems a lot of trouble,but if you have someone to help you remove the wing, you`ll be much better off.

Skin lifespan: When I was instructing and flying a lot of hrs, 3 to 3 1/2 years, max!...These days I don`t fly as much so it`s not exposed to the sun as much!...The current set is coming up to 4 years and still in good condition.

By the way: I make my wing skins in 2 seperate sections , much easier to construct!... I`ve put an extra rib in the middle end and this allows me to pull each wing tightly together and get a tighter wing, also to retighten later if required!

Frank.

I was trying to subtley dig at your age Farri, but it didn't work so well.Pud

Pud, I did get that, so I replied as I did 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif!!!!

Not embarrassed about my age, though it would be better if I was half of it! 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

As you are interested!... I`ll be 64 on the 1/1/12. ...........good_vs_evil.gif.3bae94f4ff210f03cc4bea87587f9a84.gif............. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Frank.

Meddo, Is it Dacron and did you clean with solvent before sticking the numbers on?......Just interested!!!Frank.

Hi Frank, They are dacron and no i didn't clean them with solvent as they hadn't had any armourall or anything like that put on them. Cheers Steve.

Geof, Unfortunately painting numbers on with the wing attached to the AC is a pain in the neck, literally!....I make my own skins and paint the numbers on after I`ve assembled the wing, but before I attach it to the aircraft,this way the fabric is tight and I`m not breaking my neck, having to looking up!....It seems a lot of trouble,but if you have someone to help you remove the wing, you`ll be much better off.Skin lifespan: When I was instructing and flying a lot of hrs, 3 to 3 1/2 years, max!...These days I don`t fly as much so it`s not exposed to the sun as much!...The current set is coming up to 4 years and still in good condition.

By the way: I make my wing skins in 2 seperate sections , much easier to construct!... I`ve put an extra rib in the middle end and this allows me to pull each wing tightly together and get a tighter wing, also to retighten later if required!

Frank.

Hi Frank, The elevator, rudder,and horizontal stabilizer skins on my Gemini are original 1986, the only reason i changed the wing skins was because i wanted 17 battens instead of 9. Having said that my aircraft has always been in a hangar and covered , which i think makes a big difference. Cheers Steve.

Hi Frank, The elevator, rudder,and horizontal stabilizer skins on my Gemini are original 1986, the only reason i changed the wing skins was because i wanted 17 battens instead of 9. Having said that my aircraft has always been in a hangar and covered , which i think makes a big difference. Cheers Steve.

G`Day Steve, Well done!...Wish I could get that life span,here!

Being covered certainly would make a big difference and the darker the hanger,the better, but it also depends on the hours flown and the intensity of the sun, as hrs flown = hrs in full UV.

I`ve always used UV protection...... Initaly I was buying AP303 from Wayne Fisher but I decided to try Armourall on this last set......I realy don`t know if it makes much difference!!!

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi Frank l have just purchased some AP 303 from Wayne he said to put in on every three months .

also he said if l want to make my skin last just paint the top with an type of paint the only thing was if l needed to remove them it would not be easy.

Have you had much improvement with the skins lasting longer by using AP303.

cheers Geoff

G`Day Steve, Well done!...Wish I could get that life span,here!Being covered certainly would make a big difference and the darker the hanger,the better, but it also depends on the hours flown and the intensity of the sun, as hrs flown = hrs in full UV.

I`ve always used UV protection...... Initaly I was buying AP303 from Wayne Fisher but I decided to try Armourall on this last set......I realy don`t know if it makes much difference!!!

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi Frank, I have used both Ap303 and Armourall on my skins i think it's much of a muchness. I put my rego numbers on before i used UV treatment on the skins. The Gemini has 760 hrs on it and it would not have spent much time in direct sunlight in the heat of the day. Cheers Steve.