Flight deck operations 1972

icebob

Bloody awesome historical film, Icebob! Can you explain a couple of technical items?

Early on, in the monochrome film, as a Skyhawk takes off it appears to drop a large object in the sea. What happened?

In the later colour footage, on takeoff the Skyhawk appears to have either very bright flaps, or rocket assisted takeoff. What's that?

Lyle

Whoops! Good to see the Ejector seat work as specified. My fantasy job, landing on a carrier; like simultaneously having a car accident and an orgasm...

We're told that, due to the powerlag, the jet pilot has open the throttle as he nears touchdown, in case the hook-up fails.

Hi Lyle,

When the skyhawk launched it was ejecting the wire used to catipult it into the air (0-150mph). Yes lands with full or almost full power. The fun bit is a new Tracker pilot doing first land on, as the aircraft hits the deck some tend to raise up out of the seat with a strained look of the face, so funny when it's not you. Skyhawks flaps were painted a brite colour as a safety thing, in low light it is easy to get ground crew trapped in there or head injuries from not ducking the head far enough. I stil cringe when i see that first T&G.

Windsor, yes I was, saw the bow half go down then help survivors onto our ship. The Wessex helos did 56 hours flying straight looking for survivers. I was there too when that skyhawk went in.

Bob.