Open Day at Jacobs Well (YJCW) 17 Sept

Spin

Going flying sounds like a fair excuse, Tex! Not sure on the Drifter angle, I know there is one syndicated down there and Drifterdriver on the forum certainly had one in his school, but I don't think that is the case any longer. I'll ask around and get back to you, an LP taildragger is next on my list once I've sorted out my PPL.

Going flying sounds like a fair excuse, Tex! Not sure on the Drifter angle, I know there is one syndicated down there and Drifterdriver on the forum certainly had one in his school, but I don't think that is the case any longer. I'll ask around and get back to you, an LP taildragger is next on my list once I've sorted out my PPL.

Yeh won't complain too much!

Thanks for asking as well.

Just how LP are you gonna go? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I thought there was a major problem with the owner at Heck Field has it been resolved?

Yes heard about that, how is it working out?

I don't know all the ins n outs of the dispute, haven't been there for quite a while since my stint in hospital, but understand second hand that the club and landowner are still arguing, however the club have found that they are in a much better legal position than they ever imagined. Owner tried to stop them flying but that effectively backfired and I imagine the open day is part of them asserting their rights to operate as an airfield. For that reason alone the open day is worth supporting I reckon, airfields are just too precious to be allowed to die without a fight.

(Personal opinion) - I suspect that long term the whole mess may actually be good for the future of flying in the area, the club will either win a good compromise settlement and gain security of tenure or they will move to one of several other sites in the immediate area, with a bundle of compensation in their pockets. For most of their existence they have had to tip toe around the owner's ideas of what should be done there, having to restrict access, numbers of members, hangar numbers, types of aircraft etc. This has stifled development and led to a not undeserved reputation for being a closed shop and not particularly welcoming.

Tex re the LP endorsement, I did one training flight on a Drifter before it was removed from the school and loved it. That is probably about the mark I would aim for, I know there is a lot of nostalgic attachment to the older types eg Scout etc but I did a lot of (unofficial and elsewhere) flying in trikes at one stage and clearly remember that the trike outperformed the single surface minimum aircraft by a fair margin and more importantly didn't have to run for cover at the first breath of wind, meaning that we could go elsewhere for breakfast and not worry too much. 2 strokes don't hold any terrors for me, esp the more recent 503's and 582's. For the moment, access to a GA 4 seater for flyins, weekends away etc, coupled with my own Drifter or similar for the "pure hell of it" flying, would probably cover all the bases.

• Like 1

Thanks Spin, indeed that is why I would have liked to have made it... to show some support.

Just recently (a few months ago) I was ready to try and 'infiltrate" gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif the club down there, in spite having also heard some spurious reports about it being 'private' and restrictive, I already had some understanding of the real situation. Then the latest situation presented itself and I have been waiting to see what eventuates.

Let me know when you want to start catching bugs in your teeth... 2 way syndicate? 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

I plan to fly my new Drifter over if the weather permits. Just got back on the ground from Wings over Warwick (went in the 150 not the drifter) the wind over the ranges was remarkable, our groundspeed reached 150knots on the way home.

I plan to fly my new Drifter over if the weather permits. Just got back on the ground from Wings over Warwick (went in the 150 not the drifter) the wind over the ranges was remarkable, our groundspeed reached 150knots on the way home.

Nice, met a young guy putting some fuel in a Magic at Dalby this morning heading to Warwick, said he had a 60kt grounds speed from Maryborough! The winds were very strong here today, 35kts at 2-5000ft etc... gusting 27kts on the ground.

Regarding the fly in, would love to support it... but I could be towing at Jondaryan next weekend if the weather behaves.

Will be heading over to JCW, after the meeting at Mason Field with Bruce in a Tecnam I presume. Weather looks good so cant wait to see all the different types of a/c at Hecks Field!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please come and say hi to me -anyone - I will be wearing a white ''Maxair Drifter'' shirt

• Like 1

A very pleasant morning out I thought, didn't count the aircraft too carefully, but got to somewhere in the low 40's - from the stunning, newly restored SF-260 to a pair of Winton Sportsman, with a gaggle of Cessna's, Savannah's, Jabiru's and RV's in between. Met up with forumites, David's Butler and Mason as well as a number of Boonah folk, not to mention the locals.

A big thanks to aircraft owners who went out of their way to show off their pride and joy, to the extent of hoisting my youngster into the cockpit on several occasions, patiently explaining the controls and instruments. Although my son is fairly familiar with aircraft, he thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the different cockpit layouts. I can only imagine what some of those less familiar with the whole scene would have made of it. Big :thumb_up:, that is how we get people interested and pass on the baton. I spent more time talking than behind the lens, but here are a few pics of some of those present.

jcw1.jpg.9568cb555b811463b4da095a7bb4d0b1.jpg

Club President Jason explaining the cockpit of his beautiful 6cyl Jab powered Sonex. Casually mentioned that it is for sale which had my son devising all manner of schemes to be able to afford it!jcw4.jpg.eaac70e81855ba0c98637d800769f7d3.jpg

jcw6.jpg.f2ac2b75d3a7b1b995d1e430ad7b3c55.jpg

That's great Dave, wondered how you went with the aircraft. I could quite easily have stuck around for another couple of hours, but had stupidly made other plans for the afternoon. Maybe just as well I didn't though - Summer is certainly on the way and I got well fried about the neck!

• 1 month later...