Engine failure

hendonguy

Hi , we where on our way to goondiwindi fly in this morning about 10ks north of gore Queensland we had an engine failure in our lsa, jabiru we where in tiger country but managed to make a clear but rough field and able to do a forced landing , the plane got a fare bit of damage but we surveyed totally un hurt , just want to let people who that had heard of our accident and wondered if anybody was hurt , all ok , engine failure cause not know ,but not fuel ,

And thank Warwick flying school for life saving engine failure landing training /practise

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Good news Hendonguy....thanks for keeping us posted, sounds like you've done the right thing and got down ok...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif :thumb_up:

Forgot , believe it or not a Chanel 9 chopper with reporters and camera man came all the way from Brisbane , landed next to us set up and wanted to interview me about this , told them no , to much bad news already for ra.aus with out adding more ,

You are part of the good news hendonguy.

Thanks hendo... allow me... That is about as close as it comes to being a positive Ra-Aus incident story in the press as I have seen. Well done and the local news didn't even give Ultralights a hard time or mention a flight plan!

http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/story/2011/09/12/troubled-plane-lands-safely-in-paddock/

Engine has droped a valve , funny it would not stop turning over wind assistance I think causing a terrible vibration during the emergency but now will only turn about 1/4 of a turn ,indicating there is now something stuck between the piston and head

Was the donk a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Thanks,

Rick-p

J2200 solid lifter 4 cylinder

Thanks and sorry but next question, how many hours on engine from new or rebuild?

I'm just putting together some statistics on the most popular, let's say, aircraft engines used in recreational flying machines.

This also includes the cause of the failure.

Thanks again for your assistance it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Rick-p

My engine has about 560 hours , it had a top end rebuild from an l2 about 200 hours ago , has been serviced correctly every 25 hours ,run on av gas 100 percent ,75 hours ago a level 2 did a 100hour service including a compression test , in the space of one revolution the engine went from perfect to life treating it was unbelievable how quickly it happen

My engine has about 560 hours , it had a top end rebuild from an l2 about 200 hours ago , has been serviced correctly every 25 hours ,run on av gas 100 percent ,75 hours ago a level 2 did a 100hour service including a compression test , in the space of one revolution the engine went from perfect to life treating it was unbelievable how quickly it happen

Ok thanks for the info and of course the good thing is that you walked away, the engine fell apart but you didn't you kept a good presence of mind and that's what good training is all about.

The question on everyones lips should be what am I going to do and how will I react when the engine does stop, not if the engine does stop because it's never "if" it's always "when" and then you will be prepared and have an even chance of survival.

It doesn't matter what engine you fly they are all engineered and everything and anything engineered can and will break, eventually.

Anyone who fly's around thinking that the type of engine they have is bullet proof and will never stop is only being a fool to themselves.

My two bob's worth!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Rick-p

• Like 3

The question on everyones lips should be what am I going to do and how will I react when the engine does stop...

It doesn't matter what engine you fly they are all engineered and everything and anything engineered can and will break, eventually...

Rick-p

Good point, Rick. A famous test pilot is reputed to have explained his survival in a long career by saying that he was never surprised when the engine stopped; he was always surprised when it didn't.

• Like 2