Flight training in Caloundra

I asked this question earlier this year but that was before I knew the dates I was coming to Australia (now Feb/Mar 2012). I am looking for a flight school near Caloundra to do some flying. I have a Canadian ultralight permit (and instructor rating) as well as a British microlight licence, and want to do some dual and solo flying in a high performance tri-gear ultralight (move upwards from my Rans S6S). I have talked with Mick Poole about requirements but now I need a school to check me out.

I tried to contact Freeflying Caloundra but nothing back so far. Are there any suggestions out there? I expect to be in Caloundra for about 2-2.5 weeks. Thanks. Geoff

Caboolture is just south of Caloundra (well a bit of a drive). There is an awesome school there GoFly. Definitely worth the trip. Sorry but don't know much about the caloundra schools.

Cheers,

Shags

Hi Shaggs. Thanks for the information. I had hoped to find a school in Caloundra up and running but I guess that is not going to happen. They were flying Texans which is a plane I have never flown. And close to where I will be staying. A friend also pointed out Caboolture and I came across the GoFly website. Glad for the recommendation. Can you tell me anything more about the company? I want to fly with someone reputable.

You can't go wrong with Go-Fly. School was originally setup by Zane Tully (now RA-Aus Ops Assistant?) then taken over by the new owners. The aircraft are extremely well maintained.

I have been to 3 GA schools and 2 RA-Aus schools before I found Go-Fly (prosky back then). I won't go anywhere else till I'm ready for my ppls. I even drive an hour to get there.

If you give Damien a call (number is on the website) they will be more than happy to show you around the hangar and the aircraft and fill you in on the wherefors and howtos etc.

Their Human Factors course is also very well run.

Again, can't recommend them enough.

Also if you've never flown a tecnam, they are an absolute dream to fly. Couldn't be easier.

Cheers,

Shags

I have also tried to contact Free Flying but the number rings out. I even dropped in to Caloundra but couldn't find the school advertised.

I also wanted to try the Texan as I want a low wing for x-contry flights and none exist out of YCAB (as far as I know)

Hey GDL, good to see you here again :thumb_up:

GoFly are a good bunch, got a few instructors there, and you can even go Trike-ing if you wish! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I also wanted to try the Texan as I want a low wing for x-contry flights and none exist out of YCAB (as far as I know)

There's a Pioneer Sparrow I think at Caloundra that you can hire, you just need to be checked out on the Pioneer in Dalby and you get signed off on it too. Well I am, so I'm assuming it's the same for everyone. I can find out for you if you want.

Thanks Tomo, but probably easier to hire the SportsStar out of Redcliffe. I just wanted to try a few different types local to YCAB. The Sparviero looks good but nothing local that I have seen.

Sorry for the hijack!

I asked this question earlier this year but that was before I knew the dates I was coming to Australia (now Feb/Mar 2012). I am looking for a flight school near Caloundra to do some flying. I have a Canadian ultralight permit (and instructor rating) as well as a British microlight licence, and want to do some dual and solo flying in a high performance tri-gear ultralight (move upwards from my Rans S6S). I have talked with Mick Poole about requirements but now I need a school to check me out.I tried to contact Freeflying Caloundra but nothing back so far. Are there any suggestions out there? I expect to be in Caloundra for about 2-2.5 weeks. Thanks. Geoff

Pro Sky in Gympie offers superior training in the district and is well worth the 50 minute drive North to Gympie. Previous owner of Go Fly was trained at Pro Sky Gympie. Many people travel from other states to be trained by Pro Sky Gympie.

Willborne.

Hi Geoff,

I'm sure that Damien at GoFly could always fly to Caloundra and pick you up, both airfields use the same training area as are 18nm apart. Give him a call, I did my 3 Axis with Zane and Navs with Damien and happy to recommend.

Thanks Mark, Shags, Sean, Mike. GoFly certainly gets top marks (no pun intended) from all people I have heard back from. Like AV8 (you and I are thinking along similar lines) I would have preferred to fly a low-wing (that is probably going to be my next purchase - perhaps a Zenith 601XL), but the Tecnam would be nice and a CT something I have always wanted to try. Shaggs I do have an hour in a P92 earlier this year (as part of trying out different aircraft in prep for purchasing something). It was very nice to fly. Tough to get in (banged my head but lots of room inside (a cousin will be a partner and he is 193 cm and 105 kgs). I had hoped to be able to walk to a school - after flying across the Pacific and traveling from Sydney I really did not want to see any form of transportation (other than light planes) besides my feet.

I will give GoFly a call (actually email) and see what they have to say. Mike, I will take up your suggestion and see if I can get them down to Caloundra. I presume that if I pay that they go where the business is. What did you think of their training?

Hi Wilbourne. I think I will also contact Pro Sky in Gympie. One of the reasons I came to Australia (other than better weather and good people) was to try different aircraft. I love my Rans but it is but one of many many interesting ultralights. And Australia seems to have it share, as well as one I have never seen before.

What aircraft do they use? Did you do your training there?

Hi Tom. Yup, finalized the details on the trip. Only took 4 months! Been an incredibly busy year for me and won't wind down for another 2 months. But looking forward to seeing Australia, meeting all of you pilots, and trying the planes.

Do you have a number or email for the P200 in Caloundra? I have a little time in Pioneers (another beautiful flying machine) and it would be close and convenient. Incidentally, I tried a trike in Portugal earlier this year. That is different.

How are things with you?

Wilbourne, I also tried a Evektor earlier this year (the school has since sold it - I don't think there is any correlation between my 2 statements!). Another very comfortable ans smooth plane. Flew it in one of the busiest GA airports in Canada and it was easy to handle and quick and nice handling.

GoFly Aviation Caboolture's Flight Design CT has a CSU fitted.

So if you don't have your AP endorsement, this is the way to GO, for sure.

Cheers.

Sean.

GoFly Aviation Caboolture's Flight Design CT has a CSU fitted.So if you don't have your AP endorsement, this is the way to GO, for sure.

Cheers.

Sean.

I am not familiar with the terms CSU or AP. What are both?

GDL saidI will give GoFly a call (actually email) and see what they have to say. Mike, I will take up your suggestion and see if I can get them down to Caloundra. I presume that if I pay that they go where the business is. What did you think of their training?

Geoff they are professional, I was surprised you can't get onto Free Emerald, I rang them this morning, they have been at Mt Isa for a few days but back now and replying to your email.

Constant Speed Unit and Autopilot

Mark, thanks for that. In Canada there is no endorsement for CSU and AP (or for floats or flying boats or skis or anything like that). The only 2 endorsements are for Instructor rating & passenger carrying which I have both. Don't ask me why I need a passenger carrying endorsement when I am an instructor - it is still a sore point with me. TC is not the most rational government organization in the world (perhaps rational & government are oxymorons).

I have used constant speed before in Cessnas but never an Autopilot. Would be interesting.

Geoff they are professional, I was surprised you can't get onto Free Emerald, I rang them this morning, they have been at Mt Isa for a few days but back now and replying to your email.

I tried several times to get hold of Freeflying Emerald. Couple of emails & nothing. Several other people tried to phone them on my behalf (some not in this thread) and they got nothing as well. I will look for their email. Thanks for your efforts.

I asked this question earlier this year but that was before I knew the dates I was coming to Australia (now Feb/Mar 2012). I am looking for a flight school near Caloundra to do some flying. I have a Canadian ultralight permit (and instructor rating) as well as a British microlight licence, and want to do some dual and solo flying in a high performance tri-gear ultralight (move upwards from my Rans S6S). I have talked with Mick Poole about requirements but now I need a school to check me out.I tried to contact Freeflying Caloundra but nothing back so far. Are there any suggestions out there? I expect to be in Caloundra for about 2-2.5 weeks. Thanks. Geoff

I am not familiar with the terms CSU or AP. What are both?

CSU = Constant Speed Unit

AP = in flight Adjustable Propeller (RAAus endorsement)

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Wilbourne. I think I will also contact Pro Sky in Gympie. One of the reasons I came to Australia (other than better weather and good people) was to try different aircraft. I love my Rans but it is but one of many many interesting ultralights. And Australia seems to have it share, as well as one I have never seen before.What aircraft do they use? Did you do your training there?

Hi GDL,

Yes did all my training with Pro Sky in Gympie. They presently have a Tecnam Echo on line but will have An FK9 Tail drager at the end of the month. Gympie also has a nice sealed strip with an excellant grass cross strip. Give them a go you won't be dissappointed.

Willborne.