Flight training in Caloundra

Hi GDL,Yes did all my training with Pro Sky in Gympie. They presently have a Tecnam Echo on line but will have An FK9 Tail drager at the end of the month. Gympie also has a nice sealed strip with an excellant grass cross strip. Give them a go you won't be dissappointed.

Willborne.

Thanks Wilbourne for the info. I am not sure I want to go that far but I will look into. I have a little tail dragger time - just enough to know how little I know. I love grass strips - easy on the plane and pilot, and what I learned on originally. Do you know anything about the FK9? I have seen pictures but never seen one in person.

Don't ask me why I need a passenger carrying endorsement when I am an instructor ...

I would have thought, GDL, that you should only be able to assess someone on an endorsement that you, in fact, possess.

Peter

I would have thought, GDL, that you should only be able to assess someone on an endorsement that you, in fact, possess.Peter

Hi Peter. Sorry, I was probably not clear on the passenger carrying endorsement. I was a flight instructor for 8 years. This meant I carried students, potential students, and the like, in my plane. As with most instructors in Canada, I believed that the experience entitled me to a passenger endorsement since I was essentially carrying passengers, in a manner consistent (documentation, training, procedures) with passenger carrying. Transport Canada agreed but said that their rules dictated that I go out and get an endorsement. That's silly.

I understand, GDL. I have a qualification in Training and Assessment, but I must possess any qualification that I intend to assess. (BTW it will not, of course, allow me to conduct flight training ...)

Peter

My Auntie is a high school teacher, and has been for a long time. They introduced vocational training in schools as an elective, and she had to go get her Training and Assessment qualification as well. No recognition of the experience or the higher qualification that she already had (4 years at university). It appears that Transport Canada is not the only entity that is bogged down in bureaucratic nonsense!

Thanks Wilbourne for the info. I am not sure I want to go that far but I will look into. I have a little tail dragger time - just enough to know how little I know. I love grass strips - easy on the plane and pilot, and what I learned on originally. Do you know anything about the FK9? I have seen pictures but never seen one in person.

Gday Geoff,

It's heartening to hear all the helpful response on this forum to your query.

As you know, we've been in contact for some time, and I encouraged you to come to Caloundra for your holiday.... At that time there were two Recreational flying schools at Caloundra, but I regret that both have now gone, one to Tasmania and the other has just disappeared without notice.....

I'll pick you up in Caloundra and fly you to both Caboolture and Gympie, and a few other airstrips as well, and have a look at the islands and hinterland. Looking forward to it.

JG

Hi Shane. An interesting illustration. And I feel for your aunt. I think in general agencies run by governments (direct or indirect) tend to drown in their own bureaucracy, their own biases (I have other thoughts but they are impolite).

Gday Geoff,It's heartening to hear all the helpful response on this forum to your query.

As you know, we've been in contact for some time, and I encouraged you to come to Caloundra for your holiday.... At that time there were two Recreational flying schools at Caloundra, but I regret that both have now gone, one to Tasmania and the other has just disappeared without notice.....

I'll pick you up in Caloundra and fly you to both Caboolture and Gympie, and a few other airstrips as well, and have a look at the islands and hinterland. Looking forward to it.

JG

Hi JG. The response here to all my questions has been super. Lots of good & interesting info. Makes coming to Australia that much easier. I think the problems in Caloundra probably relate to the problems the airfield was having (for a while it seemed ti would disappear). But lots of schools in the area, and unlike my part of Canada, close by. I am envious by the riches in flying in Australia. My hats off to all of you that contribute to it. GA flying in Canada is slowly disappearing.

Hi JG. The response here to all my questions has been super. Lots of good & interesting info. Makes coming to Australia that much easier. I think the problems in Caloundra probably relate to the problems the airfield was having (for a while it seemed ti would disappear). But lots of schools in the area, and unlike my part of Canada, close by. I am envious by the riches in flying in Australia. My hats off to all of you that contribute to it. GA flying in Canada is slowly disappearing.

Well actually, as I heard it, it was the approval that the airfield would stay that caused the one school to move to Tassie. Immediately, the owner of the hangar he was operating from raised the rent by 2-3 fold, and priced him out. There never was a lot of business there, more like a subsistence living for dedicated fliers who didn't want to do anything else. Like a lot of flying schools, eh.....

JG

Well actually, as I heard it, it was the approval that the airfield would stay that caused the one school to move to Tassie. Immediately, the owner of the hangar he was operating from raised the rent by 2-3 fold, and priced him out. There never was a lot of business there, more like a subsistence living for dedicated fliers who didn't want to do anything else. Like a lot of flying schools, eh.....JG

Wow. And I thought parts of Canada were sleazy. Lets hope the hangar owner never gets another renter. And I can feel for flight schools. When I had my school I lived on subsistence for most of my 8 years. The nature of the beast I think. But many schools in the area, and presumably they are allowed 'fam' flights to take up tourists. Fam flights were the only way we were allowed to take passengers (i.e. non-students).

Dont worry fella's, just got off the phone with Geoff at Emerald Free Flying Caloundra 54996333. They are still at Caloundra and have 3 Texans for your pleasure.

What? They haven't answered any of my emails. They didn't answer the phones for others. What is going on. Did they explain anything?

Thanks for doing that, Mike.

Guest becky1

Hi everyone,

Suncoast Cooloola Flying,is available and training 7 days a week operating two RAAus Sportstars at Gympie,plus three GA aircraft for hire to suitably qualified people,a Cessna 150,182,and 206.

We would very much welcome the gentleman from Canada all any of the members of this forum who are up this way.

Regards

Jennifer C.F.I.

0419 784 715

Did a dual in a Texan on Fri @ YCDR... good atmosphere and fun flying.. Highly recommend it.. We did high level handling ops and low level fun ops. Good fun as I have been so tied up in "disaster recovery" with GA & RAA lately that I haven't really enjoyed flying recently..

I have had so much "doom and gloom" with flying and mishaps recently it takes the fun out of flying..

Next fri i go again...bring on the solo and the utube post..lmao..

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff,

OK, I finally got in direct touch with Free Flying at Caloundra, and yes they're still in action. It seems that they've been working up in Mt Isa for awhile, but will be back in Caloundra later this week.

Their website has changed to http://www.freeflyingcaloundra.net/

They fly a Texan.

JG