Lakeside Airpark fly-in well attended and huge success.....

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Jumped in the Lightwing at 3.10 pm yesterday, for the 140nm run down to Lakeside Aipark.

We've had strong Northerlies for the last couple of weeks up here, and at a cool and smooth 4000ft I was showing mid 90Kt groundspeeds all the way.

The visability was as bad as I've ever seen it, due to the many bushfires along the route. Arriving over the top at Gary Pooles Lakeside Airpark I was happy to see around ten aircraft allready parked in front of the main hangar and shed . Wind was straight across the runway gusting 10-15 kts, but I managed a reasonable arrival at 4.45 pm.

The evening was painless. We sat on hay-bales listening to good music, sampled the pig roasting on the spit for tomorrows event, and chatted with new and old friends whilst sampling a few cold largers.

Sunday morning dawned clear and windless, and the aircraft started to arrive at this great little airfield in the country. Ian and julie Wells in their 'Carbon Savannah', from thier nearby 'Heathrow 'airfield, an Xair from Marion to the south, a Terrier, and a jab 230 from nearby Shute Harbour. Within an hour or so all aircraft had flown in and parked, and we had around 30 aircraft of all types parked down each side of the runway. Also present were two helicopters and a magni gyrocopter. The whole day was billed as a local 'Farm fest'with many locals visiting with their families to enjoy the trucks, farm tractors, restored cars, good food, many stalls , and to generally just wander looking over the assembled aircraft and enjoying the sun and cool breezes, both of which are well enjoyed in this part of the country.

You could handle a baby crocodile or a small python displayed by a local croc farmer.

There was also a greasy pig chase and the sight of 50-60 kids chasing it all over the runway was enjoyable to say the least. I was just hoping the damn thing didn't head for my aircraft !.

Airfield owner Gary Poole and partner Hilda and their capable band of helpers, were all very impressed with the attendance of both aircraft and local folks, and no doubt much needed cash was raised for local schools and charities.

During the day I managed to hook up with forumites Windsor 68 and blueadventures from the Mackay area, and did my best to encourage new forumite Doug Evans to join our forum, which he has already done with gusto. Doug previously flew a lightwing, then left us for a few years and has now purchased the brightly painted Lohle parasol which he'll use to get his hand back in, before steppig up to something bigger. Welcome back Doug !.

Hopefully we'll see a repeat of this successfull event in the future, and once again enjoy the opportunity to fly in to this ideal country site.

During Sunday the winds swung around to the normal forcasted S Easterlies, and after departing around 2pm, I once again enjoyed tailwinds back to Townsville.

Top weekend !!.....................be sure to watch for a repeat performance at this great site sometime in the future.................................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

Footnote to the above post : I took many photos of this event to support my post but unfortunatly left lakeside without my mobile phone !. I'll get it back in a couple of days and will happily post them then......................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

Yes that is a great result. Mostly raised from raffles and the food stalls as far as I can see. The ladies in the food stall werer flat out all day, and I think everybody was surprised just how many people visited the event all day long. Personally I had a great time, as it was my type of fly-in for sure !.....................................................................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

Or I'll pick you up in the Lightwing Frank, for the next one.............................................................Maj...

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=full]15347[/ATTACH] As promised, here are some photos of the recent Lakeside fly-in and farm day, which by the way raised around $7000 for a local school..........................Maj...[ATTACH=full]15344[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]15345[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]15346[/ATTACH]

Fantastic photos, but who gave permission to display a model of my wife on that yellow mud guard? babe.gif.538cdeac3b1a1b72d121d00509ec140e.gif.

Alan.