tyro flyer

bull

g,day all just brought an old tyro and would like some feedback on its history if known ,first flight 1984 rego number on wing 630 anything would be appreciated thanks

g,day all just brought an old tyro and would like some feedback on its history if known ,first flight 1984 rego number on wing 630 anything would be appreciated thanks

Gidday. The Tyro I know of was designed and built in small volumes by Geoff Eastwood. He is still about.... owns "Goolwa Airport. " They have a website

with contact numbers and so on. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Marcus

Hello david,not much known about the airframe ,was powered by 447 but i brought it without an engine .I,ve checked out geoff eastwoods page but can only get info on tyro 2.The aircraft came with minimal history,no log books, no data sheet and it has a fixed small nose wheel even though it is a taildragger.I brought the tyro from a fellow in merreba qld came in custom made fully enclosed trailer has not flown for over ten years, fabric on flight sufaces tested ok and had my old instructer Carlo pretti [he,s a lame ] check it out,say,s it,s still ok.cannot find any history on web or photos.I would like to find out where i go from this point ie. data sheet rego reccomended power plant etc any help would be great .ps thanks for the info mipinaus.

How do i upload a photo from my computer, every time i try it says file too large? Also i have been given a low hour 582 is this too big for the tyro?

Hi Bull is it a Mk1 or Mk2 the differance is the lenght of the boom ,the Mk2 is better as theMk1 was very pitch sensitive because of the full flying elevator so they lengthened the boom which solved the problem. l have built two Tyros l have had vw engine and 447 rotax and 503 rotax l settled with the 503 the 582 will be a bit heavy you will have set up centre of gravity and move the engine back towards the pod you might not have enough clearance it will be to close to the pod .l have some data on the Tyro if you need it.

l have never seen a Tyro with a nose wheel .

cheers Geoff.

Ps do you have an side pics looking at your photo it dosent look like a genuine Tyro.

Hi Bull many original Tyros were modified by their owners over the years so technically they were not genuine Tyros. The one you have may not even be a Tyro.

The wings look too short and stuby, the wings either turned up or turned down at the tips. The Tyro never had a nose wheel from the factory. The 447 rotax was the most popular however the 503 Rotax would perform better in the climb but only marginal increase in speed. Larger engines have been used but the Tyro has so much drag that you only increase your rate of climb, your aircraft is heavier and you use more fuel and you could exceed the 95:10 weight regulations. We have a heavily modified Tyro in SA wich has a different nose pod and is fully enclosed and tapered towards the tail boom like a Thruster; with a 447 Rotax speed increased from 45 kts cruise to 60 kts cruise. I will try and source some photos. I also owned a Tyro.

Alan.

Hi all well after more research,i,am still none the wiser .I found photos of the jackaroo and the winton cricket and a winton cricket clone made by Arther Amour on the net and all these aircraft and the tyro all have very similar characteristics only difference i can see so far is the squared off tailplane on the tyro2 but the photo of the winton cricket and the clone both have the short stubby wings single solid struts and back of wing wire braceing now i,m really confused any help would be great thanks

Update news is its a jackaroo/cricket .Just talked again with geoff eastwood and he looked at the photos and said no it not a tyro/tyro had rivited fusalarge mine is welded like the jackaroo/cricket 1 mystery solved now i have to find out previuos owner/builder/ pilots of this aircraft for more info so if anyone knows this aircraft could you please let me know either on here or email @ [email protected] guys