Llewellyn-designed wing for the SkyFox

Paul Madden

Does anybody have details of the Daffyd-Llewellyn-designed wing for the SkyFox? Was it just a design, or was it also built and tested? I'm quite interested in the Gazelle. It could probably be flown in the USA as an Experimental design assuming the new wing represents more than about 50% of the design - which it probably does.

Does anybody have details of the Daffyd-Llewellyn-designed wing for the SkyFox? Was it just a design, or was it also built and tested? I'm quite interested in the Gazelle. It could probably be flown in the USA as an Experimental design assuming the new wing represents more than about 50% of the design - which it probably does.

Hi Paul,

You might try sending a message to a guy on this site called Foxworker (real name also Paul), or even call him on 0402 871771. He is very knowledgeable on Skyfox wings.

Cheers

Neil

The old wing has some unique properties some of which are concerning. Beware of overcapitalising what is now an old aeroplane. Some fuselages have some corrosion problems, so do a thorough assessment before you commit. Nev

• Like 1

Hi Paul,You might try sending a message to a guy on this site called Foxworker (real name also Paul), or even call him on 0402 871771. He is very knowledgeable on Skyfox wings.

Cheers

Neil

Hello Neil,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion to call "Foxworker". I'm interested to know how the Skyfox compares with a more conventional, later-model Fox with respect to handling characteristics, performance. etc. The ball in the Fox I know dances around all over the place but the two pilot reports I've read of the Skyfox (UK Pilot and Flyer magazines) remark on the lack of adverse yaw on this version - probably due to the larger fin size and possible different aileron control rigging of the Skyfox. The Skyfox is not known in the US. It could be flown here on the basis of its European VLA certification (same as the Diamond Katana) but one would have to go through the process to get the certification accepted by the FAA which, while straightforward, is also expensive and would make no sense at all if one just wanted to fly a better Fox for personal use.

Thanks again for your help Neil.

Regards,

Paul Madden (Boston)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

Rob Stowe at Coastal Aviation will have some news in the new year as when I speaking with him last week he said he was finishing off a set of alloy wings on a skyfox (Gazzelle I expect). He said the wing is also aluminium skinned. I was speaking with him early evening and he was keen to leave work so did not press him for more detailed information. I'll wait until the test flights are finished. As I have a Skyfox and plan to re fabric the wings in about 15 months I'll be keen about performance, cost (built or wing kit) etc. I expect the engine will not work as hard in cruise etc.

Cheers

Mike

Hi PaulRob Stowe at Coastal Aviation will have some news in the new year as when I speaking with him last week he said he was finishing off a set of alloy wings on a skyfox (Gazzelle I expect). He said the wing is also aluminium skinned. I was speaking with him early evening and he was keen to leave work so did not press him for more detailed information. I'll wait until the test flights are finished. As I have a Skyfox and plan to re fabric the wings in about 15 months I'll be keen about performance, cost (built or wing kit) etc. I expect the engine will not work as hard in cruise etc.

Cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,

That's interesting; I wonder if it's the Llewelyn wing design or home brewed. The Stylus (http://www.avama.sk/lietadla_en.html), built in Slovakia, has an alloy wing (but fabric covered) with the same wing-span as the Gazelle (unlike the Eurofox) and with conventional ailerons and flaps. It's also a derivative of the Kitfox, but a better aircraft than the Eurofox (also built in Slovakia) - by all accounts. The Avama web site has some detailed photos of their wing internal design.

I look forward to hearing more about Rob Stowe's venture. Thanks for the info.

Paul