Aircraft Noise Complaint

Guest SAJabiruflyer

submitted my vote

The aerobatics talked about are almost exclusively joyrides in the nanchung, performed well away from residential areas at significant height and the noise is incredibly low, far less than that generated by the outboard motors of commercial and recreational fisherman using the Mundoo Channel boat ramp.

It will be interesting to see how people are going to report them as I can't even read their rego numbers using binoculars and we live right near the mouth where all this supposed flying is occuring.

As for disturbing the wildlife - the only thing that disturbs the birds is people walking quietly and kayaking quietly - loud outboards and fishing boats don't disturb them at all - they are so used to them but people approaching gently scares them - I know - have been kayaking/walking/skiing/fishing in this exact area for the past 9 years.

• Like 3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SAJabiruflyer
submitted my voteThe aerobatics talked about are almost exclusively joyrides in the nanchung, performed well away from residential areas at significant height and the noise is incredibly low, far less than that generated by the outboard motors of commercial and recreational fisherman using the Mundoo Channel boat ramp.

It will be interesting to see how people are going to report them as I can't even read their rego numbers using binoculars and we live right near the mouth where all this supposed flying is occuring.

As for disturbing the wildlife - the only thing that disturbs the birds is people walking quietly and kayaking quietly - loud outboards and fishing boats don't disturb them at all - they are so used to them but people approaching gently scares them - I know - have been kayaking/walking/skiing/fishing in this exact area for the past 9 years.

Yes the Nanchang is quite popular, and it does Aero's over the Coorong / Murray Mouth Area. However it must be known that the pilot abides by the legalities and certainly is not silly enough to perform any low level aeros with a paying pax on board. Peter is right - the birds / wildlife get more disturbed from boats. I used to up until early this year take my 4WD to the Mouth along the Beach - which is legal - and I daresay my 4WD would have more impact than an a/c, and from the vantage point of "sitting by the Murray mouth, rod in hand, vainly waiting for a fish to bite" it was quite obvious that planes flying overhead had minimal impact. Boats motoring along - in particular older 2-stroke powered ones - made a lot of noise.

The biggest issue I see with reporting a/c is that in general, it may be hard for a person with minimal aviation experience to actually know when an a/c is "too low". 500' isnt really that high. And as for a/c doing "stunts" - the observer would need to know the a/c type, if it's aero certified, and the pilot's ratings and if the pilot is aero certified. Pretty well impossible to work out from the ground isnt it.

And Peter - well done on living by the Mouth, my Aunty has a shack on Mundoo, and I spent the holidays of my youth there, and also the shacks near Barker's Knoll, great times and great scenery! 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif. PM me if you want to chat.

• 3 weeks later...