Parafield Nanchang wheels up

Hi all.Stopping the engine is what you do not want to do, that's what i was told when lerning.

Rory

Would you care to expand on this Rory, as I'm curious?

Hi all.Stopping the engine is what you do not want to do, that's what i was told when lerning.

Rory

Depend on a few factors, if you own the A/c.It makes sense to turn it off on final, to save on a bulk strip.

If you get time to think about it - consider whether you or your insurance company owns it afterwards - and which is better for you.

Incidentally, just received a letter from my house insurer changing the definition of "flood". If you are going to land wheels up then you may be better off on a runway which is flooded.

• Like 2

I was told the decision to stop the prop with the Nanchang was also based on a few other things, one being a low wing and having full fuel in tanks etc for safety. The pilot in command is an air force training captain with thousands of hours in the 'Changs' , he was extremely cool calm and collected on the radio to the tower, even after ATC told him he was cleared to land, all emergency crew were stationed, he replied "Wilco, Looking forward too it"! then without drama put the aircraft down on the Rwy, stopping exactly where he said he would stop at the second taxi way.

He clearly knew what he was doing as far as shut down procedures go with the aircraft and his skill in landing that aircraft with a gusting 22kt xwind was more than impressive. Whether it was right or wrong, I dont know, as I don't fly the 'Changs' and don't have a POH emergency info on them, think I will just stick to the Yak, at least the gear never retracts fully LOL.

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I was told that they switch the mags off to get the prop it a correct position then shut down the prop, fuel etc same as in emergency procedures for full engine failure. everything except the master. Once the decision to land is made and committed, then I see no harm in doing it to save the aircraft from more damage, whether I owned it or not.

I am also guess if the prop isn't spinning and slamming into the ground, that is one less thing to replace, or worse worry about it disengaging that massive prop from that big radial engine and killing someone.

Just my two bobs worth 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 2

Nanchangs are nice however I prefer a Yak52, not so much because of their designed ability to withstand a wheels up landing but it is a plus. I'm one of those pilots who stick to fixed gear aeroplanes anyway. It scares me to pick the gear up after take-off - I would rather roll inverted.

Just to add to Davids post- Because the main wheels retract forward on the Yak 52, and stays clear of the wings underneath (as mentioned by flygirltam).If landed wheels up, it turns into a tail dragger.The standard prop is a wooden paddle design. I read a book on this, when the aircraft was operated in the DOSAAF state russian flying schools.It is reported that a Yak 52 could have the prop tips cut off,with a hand saw after a wheels up landing. The red sripe which is a few inches from the red painted tip, is there as a cut mark.The aircraft was then carefully flown back to base.

Prop being timber, does not cause any damaged to the M14P engine.

• Like 2

The wooden props you speak of are deliberately designed to snap blades off and NOT require an engine strip. They are a particularly "ugly" shaped prop. but that is why .

Any pilot who says he is "looking forward " to a wheels up landing is "different" I hope. Perhaps he just meant he was confident, and why not? Nev

I better add for clarity to my post #33. I have the book in my hot little hands.Its November1997 -January 1998. Flightpath.Page 32

I Quote Should a forgetful pupil neglect to lower things the airframe is held clear of the ground on the wheels and the only damage is to the propellor blades-which, being wooden and easily reduced to toothpicks, saves an engine strip and inspection.The manufacturers have kindly painted a line on each propellor blade so that in a emergency both can be trimmed to equal lengths and the trainer ferried -carefully-back to base. Cheers

• Like 1

Dazza. NOT questioning you post, just emphasizing it. (and agreeing).

This business of shutting down motors to save an engine strip. You would look a little silly if you got a downdraught on final and didn't make the strip wouldn't you. If a motor is stopped when developing a lot of power it would be diferent to an idling engine bending all three blades back as you touch down and a feathered blade will not bend as easily as a blade in fine pitch, either. Nev

Hi Tomo.

I was told if you stop the engine and depending what type of prop it has it has the potentual to flip the aircraft over.When the engine is running the blades will not dig in they just bend.

Rory

• Like 1

Dazza. NOT questioning you post, just emphasizing it. (and agreeing).This business of shutting down motors to save an engine strip. You would look a little silly if you got a downdraught on final and didn't make the strip wouldn't you. If a motor is stopped when developing a lot of power it would be diferent to an idling engine bending all three blades back as you touch down and a feathered blade will not bend as easily as a blade in fine pitch, either. Nev

012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Interesting reading those checklists. Personally I like the idea of engine off, nil fuel in the carb and tanks shut down. If you think of worst case and for some reason you end upside down the last thing I want is to be strapped in with fuel pouring out trying to shut off motor and tanks. Just my oppinion. Jim

• Like 1