Membership card, required to be carried on board?

Hi,

I'm hoping to go on a solo flight tomorrow but my membership expired last week. I renewed it and have received a receipt. Even though I have not received the card in the mail yet, can I still go flying? Is it a requirement to carry your membership on board similar to how its required to carry your GA license on board? Sorry, I have searched and cannot find an answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks heaps!

Hi,I'm hoping to go on a solo flight tomorrow but my membership expired last week. I renewed it and have received a receipt. Even though I have not received the card in the mail yet, can I still go flying? Is it a requirement to carry your membership on board similar to how its required to carry your GA license on board? Sorry, I have searched and cannot find an answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks heaps!

If you are hiring the aircraft , eg. from a flying school advise them of the situation . They may contact RAAus for confirmation . If the membership renewal takes effect from the previous expiry date , or within a short time of that date , then I would imagine it would be reasonable to assume you have ticked all the boxes. It may take some further time for the actual Pilot's Certificate plastic card to arrive, but that should'nt matter, as long as you have evidence of the renewal ,showing the dates it takes effect from/to. You could then reasonable expect that in the event of a mishap, that RAAus would stand by you . A similar situation occurs when applying for renewal of your ASIC . Many times I have entered security airports with only a receipt from RAAus , and that has been deemed O.K. by the philistines checking for terrorists . In summary , take all reasonable steps to ensure that you are complying with all the requirements expected of you as a responsible pilot .

Bob

• Like 1

If you are hiring the aircraft , eg. from a flying school advise them of the situation . They may contact RAAus for confirmation . If the membership renewal takes effect from the previous expiry date , or within a short time of that date , then I would imagine it would be reasonable to assume you have ticked all the boxes. It may take some further time for the actual Pilot's Certificate plastic card to arrive, but that should'nt matter, as long as you have evidence of the renewal ,showing the dates it takes effect from/to. You could then reasonable expect that in the event of a mishap, that RAAus would stand by you . A similar situation occurs when applying for renewal of your ASIC . Many times I have entered security airports with only a receipt from RAAus , and that has been deemed O.K. by the philistines checking for terrorists . In summary , take all reasonable steps to ensure that you are complying with all the requirements expected of you as a responsible pilot .

Bob

Many thanks for the reply!

If it's any help, the ops manual requires you to be able to produce your certificate/student certificate withing 24 hours of being requested...

If thats the case then I dont think I'll have any problems. Thanks mate.

Be careful. I just went through my renewal, received my receipt etc. but no card. Then a week later I get a letter saying we've witheld it since you haven't done your BFR (which I had). My school forgot to send the papers in. This took a few weeks to sort out. I'd make sure there are no problems with your license first.

Guest davidh10

Good point, Shags. A receipt only indicates that you have paid the fee for renewal, not that it has been renewed. The "Card" demonstrates current membership. You should check with RAA that you are "current". The delivery of the card usually only takes a few days... a week at the most after payment, unless there's a hitch.

Mine is always in my wallet, so it is with me always.