Diesel Engines

Guest danda

Guest pelorus32

I'm really attracted to diesels for aircraft but there are issues, the DAir for example:

• As I recall this configuration of two pistons per cylinder was used in the Junkers Jumo engine and it proved notoriously unreliable;

• The Rotax 912 ULS has a weight to power ratio of around 0.7kg per HP. The DAir has a power to weight ratio of 0.92kg per HP (continuous power).

• The DAir is almost 50% heavier than the Rotax.

It just doesn't compute for our aircraft. Put another way the empty weight of a Tecnam goes from say 315kg to 340kg and even then I'm not sure that I am comparing like for like - I suspect that the Rotax weight is "as configured" whilst the DAir is probably "engine only". Now try and get two of us "older blokes" and 90 litres of diesel on board with 15 kg of baggage - what MTOW are we at? I make it 628.8kg (we all weigh 100kg don't we?).

I wish it did work but it doesn't at those engine weights.

Regards

Mike

• 1 year later...

Came across this one in my weekly AvWeb fix. Weighs the same as a 914 maintains 105hp to 10000ft and uses 25% less fuel than the 914 appears a price around $15000US and made by a fellow ratbag dragbike freak, so it must work! Fits into the same mounts as a Rotax and propshaft is the same alignment as the rotax. Only down side that I can see is the reduction drive is a link belt.

http://www.raptorturbodiesel.com/

• 2 months later...
Guest pelorus32

G'day Keith,

I thought that these engines looked very promising, however they appear to have fallen by the wayside.

I can't quite see what is so hard about getting a diesel engine to market for LSA, however that road is littered with corpses.

Regards

Mike

Back again, Mike,

Talk about engine grave yards look through a Formula 1 bits heap.

When I was a Oshkosh did see a "Gemini diesel" it looked like a very promising engine quite a considerable amount of modern day metal in the construction, the other interesting point a British development project. I will try and load a photo of the gear end, I found this very interesting.

Send me a message then I can send it to you, I think I need lessons:crying:.

Keith Page

P8030068.jpg.8522ad818602c90c3820f7a356de0ae2.jpg

Cessna were fitting German made diesels until a couple of months ago, also Cirrus.

Last I heard the engine manifacturer was trying to get more money and was not honouring warranties. The engine builder recently sacked the firms founder, possibly because the founder only seemed to want to get government handouts.

If you go to http://www.smaengines.com, they are making engines for the cessna and other acft makes......

I think there made in France........

I reckon diesel engines is a great way to go, power/fuel economy etc... just need to make an engine thats light enough for the smaller planes...which you would think wouldn't be that hard with all of todays technology:loopy:

Cheers

Tom