Guess The Airstrip

The pub is Innaminka and the 2 storey building in the background is the old hospital.

I was up there some years back (4WD not flying).

From memory Tuesday night the pub has a roast dinner and Saturdays was Surf and Turf. Don't know how fresh the surf was though, we left the day before.

We tried to get to Burke & Wills dig tree but the Cooper was flooded, told you it was a while back.

The other strips, no idea but knowing this one might give the others a hint as to which direction to look.

Mark

Mark is correct Innaminka it is. We didn't stop for food as we were in a hurry to get to the Pub in the last pic, but I have been many times be for.If you flying from Mt Isa to Mildura Vir Innaminka a bit of study will find the other strips. Cheers Geoff.smiley32.gifsmiley32.gif

Hi Geoff,

Back again.

Time to get this thread moving again ... Boulia, Bedourie, Birdsville but I would never have guessed Innaminka.

Following is my latest one and only. An easy one, looking down rwy 14 and with heaps of wind shear from 30kt SSE makes for an exciting approach. We got back home (by car) from this "paradise" on Sun morn to minus 7 degrees and thick fog and wondering WHY :confused:.

Paul

20060620_060944_PN.jpg.03abe2c7e7b2410b62d884a5aceb935d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Geoff,

It's been a while, eh. That looks likefinal on rwy 23 Broken Hill again, with more view of town to the right this time.

Try this one. It's a bit obscure so will give a couple of clues. It'sbetween latitudes S 35 and 36(that should narrow it down), in a city suburb and is home to a great crew of friendly flyers.

Cheers, Paul

[ATTACH]1193[/ATTACH]

View over-top.

[ATTACH]1194[/ATTACH]

On final rwy 21

20060811_110735_Airstrip_1_Over.jpg.dd74ce719756110c6cc872e520df0e00.jpg

20060811_110917_Airstrip_1_Fina.jpg.8ec60e63137de30f5883261b5fdedd2e.jpg

Hi River,

That's right, one has to keep alert at all times. Not exactly out of the question, just make sure you get plenty of air before turning. There's a "green" corridor under those lines that should be followed rather than turn over the homes. The owners of the strip, to keep neighbour friendly, prefer all ops to be 03 t/off and 21 landing which is usually no problem as the predominant winds are from the west, straight through those power lines. Gets a bit tricky though when there's more than one plane in the area. Oh, what you can't see in the pic are a couple of 300ft masts just off to the east and another one behind me on that approach shot smiley3.gif. Since taking these pics they have added a cross strip 18/36. The final leg begins almost over top of one of these masts and the rwy ends in the hangars.More so on thiswould one need to be alert on a missed approach ... power on and turn right well before the hangars or you could end up being fried. I have the honour of being the first to use this cross strip. As it turns out, just before they had finished picking up piles of stones they had been cleaning up ... made for an interesting landing roll,my firstslalom run with wings.

One soon learns the meaning of situational awareness here.

Paul

Oops, there's a few more clues. PaulN

Hi River, That's right, one has to keep alert at all times. Not exactly out of the question, just make sure you get plenty of air before turning. There's a "green" corridor under those lines that should be followed rather than turn over the homes. The owners of the strip, to keep neighbour friendly, prefer all ops to be 03 t/off and 21 landing which is usually no problem as the predominant winds are from the west, straight through those power lines. Gets a bit tricky though when there's more than one plane in the area. Oh, what you can't see in the pic are a couple of 300ft masts just off to the east and another one behind me on that approach shot :ah_oh:. Since taking these pics they have added a cross strip 18/36. The final leg begins almost over top of one of these masts and the rwy ends in the hangars.More so on thiswould one need to be alert on a missed approach ... power on and turn right well before the hangars or you could end up being fried. I have the honour of being the first to use this cross strip. As it turns out, just before they had finished picking up piles of stones they had been cleaning up ... made for an interesting landing roll,my firstslalom run with wings.

One soon learns the meaning of situational awareness here.

Paul

Oops, there's a few more clues.

G'day Paul,

Thanks for the details on the airfield, nice background chat...

This brings me to reason why I like recreational aviation (RA) in that with airfields of the likes of this one makes our RA just what it is... recreational.

With-in reason, anyone with property can set up a recreational aviation airfield which is what our style of aviation is all about. Enjoying both the flying of recreational aircraft without all the heavy rules and regulations of GA and being able to take-off and land often in areas where GA would have difficulties in both using the airstrips and regulations an controlling bodies. That’s no a 'shot' at our GA friends just that I enjoy the freedoms of what our recreational aviation is all about - keeping it simple, safe and enjoying flight with 'near minium’ist aircraft.. Well almost.

Now, where’s my GPS, moving map PDA and my Dynon EFIS screen…

Cheers,

Egads gtblu, do you know how many "wet" strips there are around Oz? The nearest most of us get to any of these is a 500' fly over, higher if we see sharks, unlike you guys with floatplanes (you do have floats?). You tell us where that blue shed is and we'll guess where your water landing area is.

River, thanks for the sentiments. Apart from the store of knowledge,experience and comradeship, what I like about this forum is the wit ... like Chris's.

Paul