Latest Jabiru Rumour

BigPete

I hear their could be a six cylinder 160 in the pipeline....

as this is only hearsay I will post this anomoyslie - um, anonousley, er - look you know - it wasn't me !!!;)

egads

Guest brentc

I've been telling them they should be doing that for ages but Rod said their was issues with C of G resulting in 'pitching' which needed to be overcome. Other than Jab supplying the engine mounts and cowls for it there's nothing stopping it considering that the Jab SP's have had 6 cylinders for ages.

You really WILL get your 110 knots at 2,950 with a 6 up front!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest brentc

Yes Ultralights you reminded me. Did anyone hear in Rod's speech that he mentioned development of a twin engined retractable Jabiru?

It made front page of AOPA magazine this month.

There is such a thing as a six cylinder J160 (have seen the mould) BUT it was built for a Canadian person who operated on floats and skis.

Jabiru have said they are not planning on building them for domestic market - and why would you want one?

Want more speed, buy a J230. Enjoy 120 knots and more space.

Bit off point but the idea of stuffing ever larger engines into a perfectly lovely plane reminds me of the Ford Cortina. Great car with the 2 litre four but with a big six it became a lead tipped arrow - went like the clappers, but wouldn't turn corners!

I thought the J160 had a wider cockpit than the J230. perhaps this is the attraction for some customers wanting a six cylinder version.

Alan

reminds me of the Ford Cortina. Great car with the 2 litre four but with a big six it became a lead tipped arrow - went like the clappers, but wouldn't turn corners!

My brother had a 245 Hemi Pacer - I had an XT Falcon GT - from memory none of these type of cars liked to go 'round corners.

Now my 1800cc Alfetta sedan - loved corners. A great car.

regards

My professionally lowered, mildly worked engine Cortina GT used to be far faster point to point than the Hemi Charger and the Ford GT, only wish I still had it, along with the 1962 Pontiac Laurentian and the 1934 Riley Kestrel.

Sorry I forgot, Aviation is spoken here.

Guest brentc

The J160 does indeed have a wider cockpit than the J230 as it's much newer in design.

I see benefits of the J160/170 with 6 cylinder as being the extra cabin space / width, the massive luggage area in the back due to the wet wings, plus the full sized dash, lighter weight, shorter takeoff, shorter landing plus smaller dimensions, less hangar space required and less cost. There's near $20k difference between the J160C and J230C of which around $7k is engine cost which makes it a much more affordable aircraft. Being lighter the J160 with 6 cylinder requires less power for the same airspeed which will result in greater economy than the J230, greater climb and overall better performance, more like a race-car compared to a mack truck.

If I had my time again and the J160 was available with the 6 cylinder I'd snap one up in a flash over the J4 if I required 2 seats only. The idea of 95-100 knots on a 4 cylinder struggling away on a hot day is enough to turn me off.

There are a lot of SP 6 cylinders getting around and most of their owners wouldn't part with them for a lot of cash!

• 1 month later...