Recreational Flying

Admin

Hi All

As you know a while ago we created another forum back under the Recreational Flying name to keep all RAAus specific discussions together and whilst they are a necessary part of our community, this way, they didn't distract the Aircraft Pilots site with such a large and specific topic.

The trial of that worked well but the biggest issue was that users had to have separate registrations and logins, one for Aircraft Pilots and one for Recreational Flying.

So before Recreational Flying (.com.au), with RAAus specific discussions, became too large where creating a single login across both sites became an issue, I pulled the Recreational Flying site. I immediately, together with several other owners of websites that use the same software as us, engaged a developer to create a SSO (Single Sign On) piece of code that will enable your registrations and logins to be just one across several websites.

It is costing us, as a group, just under $2,000 and uses a technology called OpenID which will allow you to register on any of our sites and your registration is current across all of them. Also when you login to just one of the sites, or logout of one, you are logged in or out of all of them...it makes it all so simple and easy for you as a user.

The project code is now almost at testing stage and will be tested by everyone in the group on all their sites. Once testing is completed and all proven to have absolutely no negative impacts, only positive ones for users, we will be resurrecting Recreational Flying (.com.au) as a specific unbiased, unmoderated resource for all discussions specific to RAAus.

You will be able to openly debate anything about RAAus specifically without any ramifications or impacts on Aircraft Pilots. Your site registration and logins will automatically be across all sites and you can even have different usernames on the different sites.

The other sister site Aviation Enthusiasts has not been touched for this same reason as it is using the old vBulletin software. Once the Single Sign On application is implemented here and on Recreational Flying (.com.au), Aviation Enthusiasts will start using the same software we use here on Aircraft Pilots and will be using on Recreational Flying so it too will come under the Single Sign On umbrella.

The end result will be, for the user, what will just look like a HUGE Website that is catering to all the different needs of its users...users will just simply click a menu item on each site to go to each area and they will already be registered and logged in...the only thing that will be different is the name in the header.

This is going to be great in being able to provide you with such a diverse range of aviation interests to suit YOUR range of needs...Recreational Flying (for Australian RAAus), Aircraft Pilots (the main "Aircraft Pilot's" resource and pilot forums site which will also include what will be like a 24/7 Air Show as well), Aviation Enthusiasts (emphasise on Commercial, Spotting, Photos etc) and in time what ever you would like to have in the group to suit your needs...maybe Radio Controlled Aircraft Site...maybe a Commercial Pilots Site...maybe we buy a large dedicated Aircraft Building website and add that to the Single Sign On group...giving YOU the freedom of choice on what YOU want to be involved in

Oh, don't forget the Groups Section we have here where you can even start your own specific interest group or an Aircraft Pilots Chapter and yesterday I began discussions with a person to start the research on the possibility of having a monthly Newsletter/Magazine sent out electronically free to all registered users...there are a lot of things happening behind the scenes here in creating an incredible and vast resource of everything aviation for you...hope you enjoy and benefit from even just some little part of it all...thanks for reading

• Like 1

Update on this is the "Beta" version of the application was released today by the developer so the 7 of us site owners in the group will begin testing. It is hoped that within 2 weeks we should be in a position for the application to go final release so I can create the dedicated RAAus site with integrated login between this site and that one for everyone.

Note the RAAus site will only be for open, unbiased and unmoderated discussion on RAAus issues...a sideline, sister site for those users that wish to use it for such under the name of Recreational Flying (.com.au)

If anyone has an idea of a sister site, a specific non mainstream subject of aviation, please let me know as we are trying to accommodate everyone's wishes here at Aircraft Pilots. PLEASE always feel free to comment on what I can do to make the site better for you.

Meanwhile, I am very happy...in fact extremely happy with the way this site looks and feels now and really, I believe there is no reason for any major changes now...it has a great number of forums in their correct specific areas, there are all the different areas like all the aviation news from around the world, Photo Gallery, Video Library, Tutorials, Special Interest User Groups, Aircraft, Events, Resources etc that should fill the needs of everyone in those areas.

So, I suppose it is time to sit back for a while and enjoy the site...I know I finally am and I hope you all are as well...now I can get the wife off my back and focus on her Beauty Therapist site...now how do I entice all those girls to get involved 069_boring.gif.9cee54db3616ee9ac1231638d365dc2c.gif...anyway, hope Aircraft Pilots (.com) is helping you in some way and continues to do so for a very long time 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif