Jab J170 -- opinions?

Hi all,

So FINALLY sounds like I am going to get to go flying again this weekend (at least i have the time and money, we'll see about the weather...) but I am told my little Tecnam is out of commission for awhile, so I'll be in the J170.

What are some thoughts/opinions on how these are to fly/train in? I did one lesson in it months ago, but that was just temporary because the Teccie's brakes were out, so I didn't really register any thoughts one way or another - other than I felt it was more twitchy than the low-wing jobbie I have been used to.

I'll watch this thread with interest. Already gonna print the Pilots Manual to get a feel for the inspection and some of the procedures.

cheers

adam

I have been flying a j 170 and I like it, but I havnt flown any other powered aircraft. The only thing I can think of that I don't like is the flap switch, which is in the middle which requires reaching across yourself with your left hand which is a bit unergonomic and annoying on final approach, but it's just a nuisance not a problem.

thanks for the info guys, keep it coming! From my limited experience so far, i do feel like i enjoy a low-wing more. But looking forward to ANY kind of flying at this point, and hopefully will start getting comfortable with the radio as well!

I've flown both and far prefer the handling and responsiveness of the Tecnam P96 Golf. Having said that, it's still each to their own - both have their own pro's and cons and it tends to come down to pilot preference.

Enjoy.

You'll love the manual trim in the Jab... flap switch is a little painful for starters, but you get used to it. I must say I rather cruising in a Jab than the Teccie. The P92 is pretty snappy with plenty of power, and quite responsive on the controls. The Jab is slightly more truck like as Ultralights said. Jabs are a little less forgiving if you don't land right, but you'll enjoy it.

Remember it 'is' a different aircraft, so it 'will' be different! Enjoy it, and it's characteristics.

Yippee! Weather was great, but it did get rather cloudy in the end and boy was it windy! So, we didn't do stalls, instead decided to do some more circuits.. Definitely harder to tell when to turn and where you are in relation to the runway, so I relied a bit on the compass. I would say that it isn't quite as responsive as I am used to with the Teccie, but then again everything about it is different including the locations of controls/instruments etc, so probably wasn't altogether one with the plane :-P

Looks like the Tecnam needs some serious maintenance, so I guess its the Jab here on out... I think i can get used to it ;)

Nice Work! You will get used to it, its not such a bad little aircraft to fly. I did some more solo circuits in my schools J170 yesterday afternoon, and next flight its time to hit the training area again to get ready for area solo :)