Who is watching the new series of ACI

I`ve watched a few episode ( Not pay TV ) and I`m left wondering whether they do more harm than good.

There is a lot of dramatisation of the accidents and I wonder if this just adds to the fear of flying that some people already have, or creates fear in others who may be thinking of flying and therefore, do not.

Frank.

Well, I guess "hourses for courses" I don't see anything wrong with them.

Although they sometimes "drill down on petty things" I think it is more that they are actually showing the REAL things which happened.

Like a VERY specific thing which a passenger does/says/etc.

As the shows are constructed from real life events, if someone did something and it was "recorded" I think in some ways it is an honour for/to that person who was involved.

It also shows you the "Traps" to watch out for when flying and not making the same mistake as was done in that episode.

Sure we don't fly the big ones, but some mistakes transend to all planes/aircraft.

I don`t see anything realy wrong with them either. I find them quite interesting in fact and I`m left absolutely amazed at the reason/s for some of the accidents.I just wonder what effect they have on the larger community,that`s all, but then I suppose that only those who want to watch the program do so.

I watched one episode a while back, about a 747 that was coming in to land when one of the starboard engines broke off the wing and flew forward. Seconds later the AC caught up to the engine and it hit the wing, taking the second engine off. This time though, the engines severly damaged the wing . The pilots flew the AC sucessfully for a furthur 15 minutes but were not aware of the damage to the wing so they followed the correct proceedure, which at this point, was to slow the AC down to commence the circuit. Due to the damage to the wing, as the AC slowed down, that wing stalled and the AC crashed into a large residental building. It exploded and caught fire, setting the building on fire. A lot of people were killed but fortunately the AC was a cargo plane and only had the crew on board.

How they found the evidence of what caused the accident was truely incredable. There was a policeman sitting in his boat, fishing in a nearby lake at the time of the accident. When he became aware of the accident he reported that at about that time he thought he saw something fall into the lake. A search of the lake was carried out and eventually the engines and the main bolts holding the first engine that broke off were found but these on their own couldn`t reveal the real cause of the engine breaking away so another serch was done and the mountings that the engine was bolted to were eventally found.

The investigators were able to track the mountings back to when they were originaly cast and they found that there was a flaw in the casting. They had simply broken allowing the first engine to break away.

It established that had the pilots known about the damage to the wing and not slowed the AC down, they could have landed it sucessfully as they had flown it for 15 minutes after the engines had broken away.

Frank

The series doesn't help to sell airline tickets, but they are real incidents and although they are commercial jets etc. it is surprising what small errors cause such catastrophic results. It has relevence to all facets of aviation. I get a real feeling of sadness when so much damage results from simple errors. Nev

• Like 1

I get a real feeling of sadness when so much damage results from simple errors. Nev

So do I! I find it hard to accept needles suffering, for any reason.

Frank.

Guest ozzie

The person that is afraid of flying would not really go out of their way to what this show. Only aviation types and those interested in the how and why of a crisis event be it aircrash, natural disasters etc. I watch it not only from a pilot/builder but also as a passenger"s view of surviving a crash. As pilots we look closely at surviving forced landings and continually prepare for them and analise other's misfortunes and what they would have done. there are also people that are not pilots but fly as aying passengers and can look at these these shows for there own survival in case they are ever in one. Just hope i'm sitting next to one if the shyte hits the blades.

The few episodes I have watched have been dismal. Making statements like "A pilot cannot fly or land without knowing the planes airspeed". What sort of crap is that? Or the aerobatic pilot who crashed because his altimeter was set incorrectly, I hardly think so. Like a lot of the cheap rubbish on TV these days, it does more harm than good. (If my comments offend, then it was somebody else, not me that posted them).

• Like 1

J170,

Gee that is crittical.

These things happened. The facts are gethered and presented to us.

The other fact is that until something happens "we" don't know of the hidden dangers. Thus they are "hidden" dangers.

Our intelligence is only limited to what we know. We can't know everything.

Yes it is sad that people die because of these crashes but as is said in the episodes: This helps educate future people/pilots of the problems and helps them understand how to avoid making the same mistake/s.

Guest pookemon
The few episodes I have watched have been dismal. Making statements like "A pilot cannot fly or land without knowing the planes airspeed". What sort of crap is that? Or the aerobatic pilot who crashed because his altimeter was set incorrectly, I hardly think so. Like a lot of the cheap rubbish on TV these days, it does more harm than good. (If my comments offend, then it was somebody else, not me that posted them).

A pilot of a Heavy would have difficulty if they don't know their airspeed - and at a lot of airports that can mean the different between stopping on the Runway or stopping in a paddock. And as for an aerobatic pilot crashing because his alitimeter was set incorrectly, it happened to one of the Thunderbirds a few years ago.

I think the series is great. It gives a good insight into how dumb mistakes can have dire consequences - and how clever the NTSB (etc.) need to be. One episode which I always think about is the one where the captain was sucked out of the windscreen of his jet (or rather, half sucked out). All because a maintenance guy eye-balled his selection of bolts for the windscreen - makes me extra careful about everything I do on my a/c - making sure that whatever I use is right for the job.

One episode which I always think about is the one where the captain was sucked out of the windscreen of his jet (or rather, half sucked out). All because a maintenance guy eye-balled his selection of bolts for the windscreen

I remember that one and if I remember correctly, it was late at night, the area wasn`t well lit, the guy didn`t bother to switch on extra lighting as he had done the same job many times before and knew exactly where the correct bolts would be. He simply picked up the bolts, and didn`t bother to check to see if they were in fact the correct ones, he then went and installed them.

Unfortunately, someone had put incorrect bolts where the correct ones should have been. The bolts that the guy installed were a fraction too small so they let go in flight. The windscreen on the port side (left ) blew out, sucking the pilot out to his waist. He couldn`t get back inside and had to cop a hell of a battering, until they landed...He was a mess but lucky to be alive and it could have caused the aircraft to go down.

Frank.

I don`t see anything realy wrong with them either. I find them quite interesting in fact and I`m left absolutely amazed at the reason/s for some of the accidents.I just wonder what effect they have on the larger community,that`s all, but then I suppose that only those who want to watch the program do so.I watched one episode a while back, about a 747 that was coming in to land when one of the starboard engines broke off the wing and flew forward. Seconds later the AC caught up to the engine and it hit the wing, taking the second engine off. This time though, the engines severly damaged the wing . The pilots flew the AC sucessfully for a furthur 15 minutes but were not aware of the damage to the wing so they followed the correct proceedure, which at this point, was to slow the AC down to commence the circuit. Due to the damage to the wing, as the AC slowed down, that wing stalled and the AC crashed into a large residental building. It exploded and caught fire, setting the building on fire. A lot of people were killed but fortunately the AC was a cargo plane and only had the crew on board.

How they found the evidence of what caused the accident was truely incredable. There was a policeman sitting in his boat, fishing in a nearby lake at the time of the accident. When he became aware of the accident he reported that at about that time he thought he saw something fall into the lake. A search of the lake was carried out and eventually the engines and the main bolts holding the first engine that broke off were found but these on their own couldn`t reveal the real cause of the engine breaking away so another serch was done and the mountings that the engine was bolted to were eventally found.

The investigators were able to track the mountings back to when they were originaly cast and they found that there was a flaw in the casting. They had simply broken allowing the first engine to break away.

It established that had the pilots known about the damage to the wing and not slowed the AC down, they could have landed it sucessfully as they had flown it for 15 minutes after the engines had broken away.

Frank

I'm sure that this investigation was so important to the travelling public that they just had to know the results of this freak accident and also when the same thing happens again the pilots will know now to just keep flying until they crash from fuel starvation or on landing because they just can't stop.I don't know about most people but I really don't want to see it coming, thanks.

I'm sure that this investigation was so important to the travelling public that they just had to know the results of this freak accident and also when the same thing happens again the pilots will know now to just keep flying until they crash from fuel starvation or on landing because they just can't stop.I don't know about most people but I really don't want to see it coming, thanks.

Apparently it wasn`t a freak accident and by finaly finding the engine bolts and the mountings that the engines were bolted to, investigators were able to determine that the the mountings were flawed. The program reported that all 747 were grounded and stronger mountings were fitted.

As for the aircraft landing safely, I won`t be drawn into that discussion because I simply wouldn`t know whether it would be possible or not.

I only stated what was said on the program.

Frank

Ps,There`s one hell of a storm occuring right now and that bolt of lightning that just occured was almost directly over head and another has just occured.

We are flooded in by the Mulrave/ Russell rivers and it`s raining like it`s never rained before. Gotta go before it blows my computer up. I`ll let you all know the final outcome later.

Apparently it wasn`t a freak accident and by finaly finding the engine bolts and the mountings that the engines were bolted to, investigators were able to determine that the the mountings were flawed. The program reported that all 747 were grounded and stronger mountings were fitted.As for the aircraft landing safely, I won`t be drawn into that discussion because I simply wouldn`t know whether it would be possible or not.

I only stated what was said on the program.

Frank

Ps,There`s one hell of a storm occuring right now and that bolt of lightning that just occured was almost directly over head and another has just occured.

We are flooded in by the Mulrave/ Russell rivers and it`s raining like it`s never rained before. Gotta go before it blows my computer up. I`ll let you all know the final outcome later.

Frank

Have been watching that front on the charts and radar and you are certainly copping it . Hang in there mate !

Bob

Bob