Places To Camp?

Wow guys, awesome photos on here, both planes locations and kit!

I'm a hiker/camper from way back and would recommend a few bits of kit to anyone out there:

Outer Limits 'Backpacker' tent - 2300g, 2 man twin-skin tent. Spacious, light, easy to erect, had it in gales at the top of Mt Koz without issues.

Outer-Limits 'TrekSmart' sleeping bag - 1000g (0'C rated?), opens up blanket style, full hood. Very spacious (I'm 6'2"), compact, light warm & cheap.

Trangia 27-2 cooking kit - 900g, runs on metho, weatherproof, very reliable, comes with pans, kettle and frypan... and collapses into itself!

Those are things I've had for around 10 years or more and they havent let me down once. They've all been carried hundreds of kay through crazy places on my back and done their job with ease. Best part is they are compact, light and reasonably priced. Sure, $200 for a tent might seem a bit to some but as far as decent hiking/camping gear goes its pretty cheap.

The Trangia especially is really the best bit of cooking kit you can get - it runs on metho (or mogas in a pinch), is totally weatherproof and packs up into itself. You can actually cook fairly sophisticated meals on it as well, I've done pancakes and coffee on top of Mt Koz with mine a few times. Uses sod all fuel, too, and very reliable - my Father has had one for maybe 30 years and the only bit to 'go South' was the O-ring in the burner. It still worked fine you just couldn't store fuel in it after use and had to drain back to the storage bottle. Seriously, I can't say enough about these stoves.

Can't wait to go aircamping at some point, would love to head up North somewhere in the winter.

Cheers - boingk

• Like 4

Top stuff mate, they really can't be beat and the non-stick ones are very easy to clean... just make sure you only use wood or plastic on them or they'll deteriorate.

Cheers - boingk

Way too much technology for camping... use ground coffee with a cheap plunger and you'll be fine. I take one that came with a small satchel of ground coffee from Woolworths. Works just fine, cost about $5 haha.

FWIW, if you're really pinching it you could eBay search for an 'EPE Spartan' tent - 1 man true double skin and very light. Easy to set up and very warm, decent headroom too. Quite minimal but very light at 1.2kg I think.

Cheers - boingk

I like my coffee Boingk 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif , not sure how I will cope with a plunger 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

I need a two man tent that will fit an air mattress in it. Working on what exactly is going to be the best combination, looks at this stage like a 3 man tent and a standard double air mattress is going to work well though.

Yeah I like my coffee as well (roast my own dontchya know!) but stuff the crazy gizmos... just another expense. I save the money for flying!

I'll get the legit interior dimensions of my 'Backpacker' if you want - it comfortable sleeps 2 x 6ft+ guys and I reckon would take a double matress easy.

Cheers - boingk

double air mattress is going to work well though.

Problem with an air mattress is that it can get quite deflating when you hit a sharp spot on the ground... particularly in the middle of the night! I have this self inflating roll out mattress, pretty tiny, and nothing elegant, but it only weighs 800grams! Like this - http://www.wildearth.com.au/black-wolf-lightweight-full-size-selfinflating-p-1063.html

Problem with an air mattress is that it can get quite deflating when you hit a sharp spot on the ground... particularly in the middle of the night! I have this self inflating roll out mattress, pretty tiny, and nothing elegant, but it only weighs 800grams! Like this - http://www.wildearth.com.au/black-wolf-lightweight-full-size-selfinflating-p-1063.html

I have considered this a lot Tomo and I agree the easy solution is the self inflaters, but I am not one who often opts for the easy solution when there is an over complicated, stress increasing and totally rediculaious manner in which to achieve the same outcome 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif (Hey I should work for CASA!) . I know how frustrating it can be to have a mattress make the horrible PHHHHSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTT sound in the middle of the night 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif. But simple fact is I find air mattress take up a lot less space when deflated than two of the self inflating foam type, are more comfortable to sleep on and infinitely better for a couple as you avoid that horrible split in the middle that grows ever wider over the course of the night until your sleeping on the hard ground!

Camping as a couple is where most of my issues stem from, makes sleeping bags harder, mattress harder, tents harder etc.... but leaving the wife behind and going on my on is not really an option I want to use. So working out the couple equipment it has to be!

I'll get the legit interior dimensions of my 'Backpacker' if you want - it comfortable sleeps 2 x 6ft+ guys and I reckon would take a double matress easy.Cheers - boingk

That would actually be fantastic Boingk, it is nhy impossible to find actual inside Dia. of set ups tents so I would really appreciate the info.

• Like 1