Anyone built or had anything to do with the volksplane??

Might just be that its late at night and i cant sleep but i have just been looking at the volksplane designs. I need to do something to get more time in the air (tried winning lotto so i can get a j170) and being a builder i thought the all timber design would be up my alley. From what i have read, build times are quick and around 8k complete isn't out of the question. I know that they are not the fastest nor the prettiest but im sure that it would get my bum in the air.So any thoughts, experiences or tips??

• 3 weeks later...

Measure twice, cut once!

But seriously, I'm also looking up the build-it-yourself kind of alley as I would dearly love a personal aircraft. Apart from the designs out there I am also halfway thinking of designing one myself - I'm an avid aeromodeller so have at least a smidge of design experience.

Any info on the good old Volksplane would be awesome.

Cheers - boingk

I have 3 acquaintances over the years who have had them all powered by the VW. No-one has ever indicated any handling fault with them and they are a proven design (as I see it).. Not high performance. There is a 2 seater version but I would think the engine power would need to be increased for that. If you get one, don't overcapitalise it. Nev

thanks for the replies guys, have spent god knows how many hours the net researching and have decided to go with this http://flyhummel.com/hummel_bird.htm. It started as something "Quick and easy" then thought well if i am going to build, build something that i would be happy with in the end

I believe forum member Riley has one of these in his hangar.

Here it is.

1319933603_CopyofDSC01640.JPG.3ad688518d952e311f9cd596c4b10b90.JPG

Pud

Thanks for that Pud! i have emailed a couple of guys that is have found with them i will PM you so see if Riley is one of them. VERRY interested in hearing some first hand info

From what I've been able to find the Hummel birds are all around good eggs - decent performers with some horsepower in them and very forgiving. Structure seems simple enough too.

One thing you want to watch is the version you make - the original 'Hummel Bird' is designed under Part 103 of the US aviation code, allowing planes under 250lb to be piloted without an aviation licence. Most only make allowance for a small/light pilot, and often need to be expanded for anyone approaching 6ft tall or 90kg in weight.

Such an expanded bird would be the 'H5' version of the Hummel Bird I believe, also stocked in kit and plan forms.

Cheers - boingk

Boingk, I have herd a lil about Part 103 but not much but, weight "shouldnt" be a problem weighed in this morning at 73kg but i am 5 ' 10 so hope that it isnt to tight a fit in there for me. Performance seems to be similar from what i can see and the costs are about half. eventually i will end up buying a two seat AC so for the moment i just need a way to get high!! and this is a pretty cool and exciting way to do so..

Yeah I agree mate, very cool and exciting... just make sure you do the job right. I'm toying with the idea of making my own plane at the moment but I can tell you right now I'd be test flying her with a parachute on! Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it I reckon.

Basically Part 103 in the US lets them build something and fly it without an official licence so long as it weighs under 254 pounds ready to fly, will not exceed 60mph and can carry no more than 5 gallons of fuel. Generally they are small, basic rag and tubers (search 'Legal Eagle' on youtube) but the Hummel certainly sets the standard.

At 73kg and 5'10" I'd say you'll be fine for the majority of craft, you lucky bugger. I'm a young guy with dimensions of 6'2" and 90kg so size can be an issue for me at times!

One thing I've been thinking about seriously is designing my own craft, either simple tubed construction or traditional wooden, and powering it with a Briggs & Stratton 23hp engine as they're stone reliable, easily maintained and use sod all fuel - similar to a half VW but without the stuffing around of manufacture.

Anywho, just food for thought.

- boingk

Basically Part 103 in the US lets them build something and fly it without an official licence so long as it weighs under 254 pounds ready to fly, will not exceed 60mph and can carry no more than 5 gallons of fuel. Generally they are small, basic rag and tubers (search 'Legal Eagle' on youtube) but the Hummel certainly sets the standard.

I think that might be the Ultra cruser, Birds specs are way over

Airfoil - modified Clark-Y

HP (range) 30-40

Wing Span (ft) 18

Wing Area (sq. ft.) 57.2

Length (ft) 13' 4"

Empty Weight 300

Gross Weight 530

VNE Speed (mph) 145

Cruise (mph) 100-115

Stall (mph) 38

Takeoff Distance (ft) 300

Take off over 50' obstacle (ft) 1000

Landing Roll (ft) 800

Fuel Capacity (gal) 6

"G" rating 6.6

You'd probably be a bit disappointed with the performance of a Volksplane. I have one which I flew for 11 years from 1995. It's a VP-2 but quite heavy (built like the proverbial brick ****house). Strong and with a 2100cc VW flies alright - 60kts at 3200, 18l/hr. Climb is a bit gradual- 400fpm at 2500 field elevation. It was a good roomy single seater which 2 blokes (not over 70kg) could fly on a good day from about 1000ft elev. Great plank of a wing stall 32kt and powerful elevator and rudder but heavy and not too effective ailerons. It has an enclosed canopy but still looks about as pretty as a bitsa. Strong as hell and taught me a lot about flying - even thermalling. Picturebelow. Cheers, Don

743103637_VOLKSPLANEII(Small).jpg.5be6ccc724aea2cb35e0092417ae8476.jpg

Yep you're spot on... the 'UltraCruiser' is their Part 103 offering. Basically open canopy Bird with reduced turtledeck and fuel tank.- boingk

actually with the ultracruiser, and all the hummelbirds except the ca-2, are typically configured with a closed canopy. They can be operated with an open canopy though.

I'm sure you could configure it however you want, but I believe it was designed as an open in order to meet the weight requirement for Part 103 of 254lb/115kg. Fitting a canopy would most likely require leaving something else off if you were concened about this, but over here in Australia I suppose we don't have to be.

Cheers - boingk