There are Pitts Specials and there are other airplanes ...

djpacro

There are Pitts Specials and there are other airplanes and the two shouldn't be confused.

Davisson, '99

Quite a few Pitts have been imported into Australia in recent years so worth revisiting this article on the Pitts S-1 series at

http://www.airbum.com/Pitts/ThePittsSpecial.html

• Like 4

Guest ozzie

Watching a single seat Pitts with an IO540 on the weekend. Looks like it stretches a foot or two on take off when he gives it full ponies.

Some of them are worked over too. A chap wanted me to fit nitro some years back to his Lycoming. He did manage Aust Champion, so was really fair dinkum. Not sure I would be up to handling a Pitts in gusty conditions on landing these days. Maybe with quite a few hours I would get confident, but not sure. Nev

.....chap wanted me to fit nitro some years back to his ....Nev

I remember FF talking about that. That Pitts is still working fairly hard and going good - it would be well over 30 years old by now.

I've only ever flown an S2B dual, but it really changed my perspective on what an aircraft can be like. Never before or since have I experienced that power on take off, the acceleration was outstanding and the rate of climb was simply mind blowing. Turning crosswind at 500 feet seemed to happen a couple of seconds after the throttle hit the stop. The responsiveness made everything else I had flown seem like a truck. The forward visibility seemed so poor, and slipping in for a landing was a new experience (compared to the usual crossed controls to lose a little extra height).

A Pitts is on my list of must haves one day. Just a simple S2A with fixed pitch prop would be more than ample for me!

Hi Fellas ,

Do any of you blokes know the fate of VH-KIT ?, it was owned by Ossie Osgood of Arnhem Air Charter in Darwin , i spent many an hour detailing it for rides as a 16 year old it was a beautiful aircraft and i often wonder what become of it .

pitts.jpg.6c2ae4db1cb9cfe47ba78007ba9f0275.jpg

Jason

Been a few years since I have spoken to anyone from the Darwin Mafia - about time I did catch up with whoever is still around. This accident report would probably explain its demise.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1985/aair/aair198500654.aspx

The Pitts chopped the Laser's wing up. The Laser got a new wing and is based at Moorabbin.

Been a few years since I have spoken to anyone from the Darwin Mafia - about time I did catch up with whoever is still around. This accident report would probably explain its demise.http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1985/aair/aair198500654.aspx

The Pitts chopped the Laser's wing up. The Laser got a new wing and is based at Moorabbin.

Gday David,

If i remember correctly Ossie aquired it after that accident and rebuilt it . i looked after it from 86-88 when i left Darwin and the photo above was taken in 94 i believe . hmmmm bit of a mystery seems to have just vanished .

Jason

Jason

After a bit of trawling around, it looks like it might still be up in Darwin, but hasn't been on the register since at least 2000http://www.flickr.com/photos/grey_albatross/4531686141/in/photostream

Hey PapaFox ,

Thanks for that , i have to say i'm gobsmacked that it has just been sitting around doing nothing what a waste . It did cross my mind that it may be sitting in a hanger somewhere gathering dust,then i thought nahhh couldnt be , but to hear that is the case is really sad .

• 1 year later...
A chap wanted me to fit nitro some years back to his Lycoming. He did manage Aust Champion, so was really fair dinkum. Nev

Is that legal ? Does it need to be engineered or something ?

How much power would you get out of that thing ?

What would you do with a plane like that ? Some kind of racing ?