"Lest We Forget"

Not to labour the point, but most people know not to cheer at a funeral service and Anzac day is still about remembering the sacrifices made by those soldiers and their families.

Fly Tornado has made a good point with this statement in my opinion... Cheering our primary school children while they march is IMO disrespectful to the memory of our ANZACs and what they went through... I offer my deepest respect to all who offer their lives in the service of our country... but the ANZACs offered their lives in the service of The British Empire under the Union Jack... It is a sad story of naive young men and those last diggers voices seem to have been forgotten.

You have to travel forward in time to 1954 before any Australian servicemen fought under the Aussie flag (not for- people don't fight for a piece of cloth)...

Lest we Forget and please don't take offence.

Fly Tornado has made a good point with this statement in my opinion... Cheering our primary school children while they march is IMO disrespectful to the memory of our ANZACs and what they went through... I offer my deepest respect to all who offer their lives in the service of our country... but the ANZACs offered their lives in the service of The British Empire under the Union Jack... It is a sad story of naive young men and those last diggers voices seem to have been forgotten.You have to travel forward in time to 1954 before any Australian servicemen fought under the Aussie flag (not for- people don't fight for a piece of cloth)...

Lest we Forget and please don't take offence.

There is a time and a place.

You don't see people cheering at the dawn service, that is the time for remembering the fallen, but as the survivors and those representing them are marching past later in the day we should show our gratitude in an enthusiastic manner IMHO.

Regards Bill

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

I attended the Dawn service at Airlie Beach, then marched there at 8.30. The early attendance at the dawn service was most impressive, with 1000-1500 in attendance, made up of lots of families with young folk. I then drove to Proserpine and marched in their parade and service, once again a great turn out by all, especially young school kids. If it isn't passed on to the young folk (the respect for past sacrifices I mean) than the whole thing would eventially die.

At Proserpine I ran into four retired gentlemen who travel the state each year, and attend a different Anzac service in a different town each time, what a great idea !......they combine it with a two week holiday. It was a pleasure to march with them, and have a beer later.

I personally make a point of carrying my fathers' five Pacific war medals (Kakoda, Bouganville) and one of my own. He's not around anymore but Anzac day was always big for him so it's the least I can do..................Maj...

It is not about glorifying war, it is about respecting those men and women who did what they had to do to allow us the priveledge of discussing it in freedom

I honour those men and women and ask myself; would I have the strength to make the same sacrifices that they did

Lest we forget

• Like 4

Guest Maj Millard

I actually enjoy marching these days and make a point of doing it. It sure beats eating rice and speaking Japanese !!......Our diggers have always done their best in conflict, and deserve to be remembered for it. We are well respected by other countries for our combat courage................................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Bryon,

I agree with what you said and would like to take it one step further. To me, its acknowledging why these men feel its worth putting their lives on the line and understanding that sometimes putting others before yourself is more important. Look at their character and behaviour and bring that into our daily lives, teach our children that honesty, integrity and caring for others is the way we should live our lives and that is the greatest honour and tribute to the fallen, that we have learnt and their sacrifice was not in vain.

Bless them all, Lest I forget

Phil

• Like 5